E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530d SE,manual,beige Dakota leather,light wood trim,jet black.(alot will be changed)

mines also disengages the cc as soon as the clutch is touched. 2004 model.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Members

I was looking through a 2009 catalog (Euro version calling the Sedan a Saloon) and came across this "standard feature". Anyone have this in their car? Is there any way to activate it in mine? I look through the manual and there is NO mention of this whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise control with a manual transmission-shift-indicator.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomassteen
I tested my car today. As soon as I touch the clutch pedal the CC is deactivated. When changing gears I have to hit resume to get CC again.

Now I am getting curious if there is a programmable setting for this. I will start looking.

Btw - I am preparing to retrofit ACC. When I read the BMW technical litterature for this feature, it says that system will alert the driver to change gears up or down if the car has manual transmission. I guess this would only make sense if changing gears did not disabe the CC (ACC). Can anybody withh ACC and manual confirm this functionality?
Interesting. I will check in on it this weekend and post. Never noticed it before but rarely use CC, and even more rarely resume my speed from different gears.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
I was looking through a 2009 catalog (Euro version calling the Sedan a Saloon) and came across this "standard feature". Anyone have this in their car? Is there any way to activate it in mine? I look through the manual and there is NO mention of this whatsoever.
I saw somebody coding this feature with NCS in their E90 3 series. Let me try look up the details....
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by BSLNoel

My old Camaro has that feature, but it got annoying really quick whenever that light would come on (especially at night). I burned the bulb out within the first month of me owning the car and still have not replaced it.

The situation is different with an LCD, but it would be so small on that display I hardly think you would notice it when driving. Seeing the indicator in the HUD would probably be cool as long as you could turn it on/off whenever you want.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

it is a feature on the LCI cars along with the braking feature. if you decelerate with the cruise control more than 10 mph it will activate the rear brakes. This was the same on my old 2006 330i. I could hit resume cruise at say 25 mph in 3rd gear and shift up through the gears with out touching the gas pedal. It was like the car knew what to do.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

I saw somebody coding this feature with NCS in their E90 3 series. Let me try look up the details....
Found it:
On bmwcoing.com

Looks like it only works on the later models...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Contributors

I studied the Owners Manual and it looks like on pre-LCI cars, the CC will disengage when the clutch is activated, whereas the ACC will not disengage by activating to clutch - only putting it into neutral will. Have a look here E60 Owners Manual on pages 58 onwards.

So sounds a lot like there is a coding option that controls this.... So far I have not been able to find anything. When I install my ACC I will see if the behavior changes (it should!). I will try to see what settings gets changed when I add the ACC option to the VO...
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

I studied the Owners Manual and it looks like on pre-LCI cars, the CC will disengage when the clutch is activated, whereas the ACC will not disengage by activating to clutch - only putting it into neutral will. Have a look here E60 Owners Manual on pages 58 onwards.

So sounds a lot like there is a coding option that controls this.... So far I have not been able to find anything. When I install my ACC I will see if the behavior changes (it should!). I will try to see what settings gets changed when I add the ACC option to the VO...
My ACC car seems to mirror the behavior described on page 60. It's possible that later cars were coded to allow the behaviour without ACC, which as far as I know was discontinued for manual-transmission cars after 2005 - note that this manual was dated 9/2004.

This past weekend when testing whether it would tell me to shift up when accelerating (it didn't) I only let it go to high revs for a short period. According to the manual it would shut the system down if I asked it to maintain a high speed in a low gear. Perhaps the "upshift warning" only happens just before the system shuts itself off, or I simply didn't give it enough time.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jm545i
My ACC car seems to mirror the behavior described on page 60. It's possible that later cars were coded to allow the behaviour without ACC, which as far as I know was discontinued for manual-transmission cars after 2005 - note that this manual was dated 9/2004.

This past weekend when testing whether it would tell me to shift up when accelerating (it didn't) I only let it go to high revs for a short period. According to the manual it would shut the system down if I asked it to maintain a high speed in a low gear. Perhaps the "upshift warning" only happens just before the system shuts itself off, or I simply didn't give it enough time.
Ok - thanks for checking! In the BMW TIS I read that the system would alert the user to shift at high revs only when the engine is cold - not sure if that is the reason why you can not see this behavior?

Quick Reply: Cruise control with a manual transmission