E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Easter Egg

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than try to censor or censure ANYone, which is NOT your right, you should consider exercising that right over which you do have control and which is inexorably yours to exercise: don't visit the board.

I am well-educated and professional - i work with people who are well-educated and professional (fwiw, most of us have several degrees)... f**k & s**t are regular parts of conversation in my work world and in the real world... then i come to a board like this in which a perfectly acceptable word such as penis (p-enis) is automatically censored by the board software? only in america!!! I might just exercise my right to not visit as well.

it's like making jokes on TV or the internet about Amish people: they can't know you did it, so is it still offensive?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:16 AM
card carrying member of aclu

"f**k & s**t are regular parts of conversation in my work world and in the real world."

The language does not particularly bother me, but it can have a hostile connotation, which does not fit well with open and respectful communication. If it is used in that way, it doesn't belong here.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

It shouldn't be anyone's right to censor anyone. And as long as what is posted here isn't pure gobbledygook (e.g. trolling) - nothing should be censored or deleted.

Where I live and amongst my friends, neither the words "fuck" or "shit" are considered even the least offensive. And, silver4evr, if you were into the kind of seemingly esoteric computer jargon I referred to, I bet you'd understand the intention of my use of the term - you'd probably even perceive the irony in my sardonic use of it (of course, aimed at those seriously invoking a flaming/hostile RTFM).

-paasan
Old 03-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Members

I'm asking all of you to sensor yourselves because, obviously, I can't, as I stated in my original reply.

Ask yourself Skidster...why is it that F**k and S**t are part of your regular conversation and the real world (at least your part of it). Obviously, after several degrees you didn't learn as much as you thought or believe. Please point out to me in all the books you read during your school attendance the specific economic/management/psychology/therapeutic (sp) techniques where abusive verbal language is cast in a positive light. Many employment laws passed in the past few years have cast the hostile work environment as a major social problem because employees just can't "leave their job" as you would probably suggest. Much of domestic abuse revolves around the use of profanity, etc., etc.

When one visits a Dr., visits a courtroom, visits a therapist, learns math, etc, etc, is one bombarded with foul language? No! Why not? Because it doesn't add any new information to the subject. If one needs to use foul language to communicate, more is communicated about the person/group that condones the usage, similar to the KKK where lynching was a very acceptable solution to a mass delusion. Or should be condone that, too? Maybe everyone who doesn't like something in America should just leave the country! How inane! Maybe you'll be here by yourself, cussing yourself out in the mirror. Think about it.

Why do we have laws against every type of social behavior (like drugs)? Following your logic would make everything legal. If you don't like it just don't buy drugs yourself. Or maybe something more close to home, why did Martha Stewart get convicted of a crime. If you don't like what she did, then don't participate in the stock market. Etc, etc, etc.

Your conclusion that I just not participate in this forum while you continue your behavior is not acceptable and laughable and ludicrous cast in the above light.
You also can make a choice to not participate.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Try BMW-forums.com to find lots of f**king and sh*ting. Maybe you'll be content there. At least in this little part of the world, we can do without your worn out logic and, more importantly, the worn out clich?s that 4 letter words have become.

Good driving to you and yours.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

OK. you made your point (more than once and very melodramitcally). I doubt you'll change skidster's mind. I doubt he'll change yours. As you are not the net police, YOU now have a simple choice to make.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

well, shit and praise the lord i be converted... uh, no, maybe not...

language is a phenomenal tool - some people like to use a hammer i prefer to select from the entirety

and, just in case you didn't know it, American laws are relevant only to Americans.
I am not one.
I do not live there.
Your laws and million-dollar hot-coffee in the crotch judgements are the materials from which base lawyer humour evolved
Old 03-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Members

Guys - can we all respect each other's opinions & move on now please? In my book, the greatest crime of all is being boring ;-)
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

1 mph, 5mph - who cares, we all bought ( or are buying ) fabulous cars!

jonboy
Old 03-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

While I realize this won't stop I can state that there are several hundred thousand other words in the english language to choose from so sprinkling your post with filth and foul only demonstrates a lack of skills and education.
- I doubt your post was accidental and not aimed at my use of "the f-word". Now, if you by any chance would have read my previous post, I'd assume that you understand that your condemnation of foul language or superfluous words really wasn't appropriate - considering what I wrote was a completely ironic remark.

-paasan
Old 03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Members

Passans reply to my orginal post made me chuckle, it was in good humour and RTFM is a well known saying so I don't see that any harm was done.

So in future if we all read the manual he won't have to tell us again