E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Easter Egg

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far in between demos etc I've probably driven an E60 for about a week and just this afternoon found out that the cruise control can go up and down in 5mph steps if you push or pull the leaver harder.

Anyone else going to own up to not having noticed this for ages ?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Easter is far away.. eh

Now, let me present you with an old saying - RTFM - Read The Fucking Manual -

-paasan
Old 03-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Actually, the US manual does not give the correct function executed by the cruise control system when the lever is pressed beyond the "resistance point". Rather than reset the speed up or down by 5mph/10kph, the system sets the speed to the next 5mhp/10kph mark. So resetting at 78mph gets you to 80mph, not 83. Und so weiter...

regards, billb....
Old 03-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I may be missing something, but I have noticed this on all cars with cruise. In effect, you can push or pull as opposed to using the accelerator or brake (within reason) in cruise control mode.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Members

ya all cars (american,germ.,jap,ect) with cruise contorl have this option.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mike200k' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:38 PM
ya all cars (american,germ.,jap,ect)? with cruise contorl have this option.
Yes, but unlike the normal accel. decel. functions on most other cars the E60 & E65 do it in precise 5 miles/hour increments when you push the lever beyond the resistance point (after first going to the next 5mph mark). If you try that on other cars you may or may not come close to 5 mph increments, but if you do it will be by chance and not by design (and it won't be the same everytime).

Here's a section from the US owner's manual:

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>1 Maintaining and storing speed,
accelerating
</span>
</span>

Press the lever up to the resistance point:
The current speed is maintained and
stored. The display 1 in the speedometer
indicates this regulated speed, refer to
page 59. Every time you briefly press the
lever, the vehicle's speed increases by
roughly 1 mph/1 km/h.

Press the lever for longer:
The vehicle accelerates without pressure
on the accelerator pedal. The system maintains
and stores your current speed as
soon as you release the lever.

Press the lever beyond the resistance
point:

Speed is increased by 5 mph/10 km/h.

rodybmw
Old 03-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Members

Yeah rody, it seems better than any other car I've driven, when crusing down a 60mph road say at 65mph and then entering a 70mph dual carriage way i now only have to push the lever twice and i'm taken to 75 automatically, very cool feature. Opposite works as well which is even better as the minus button on my old 328ci hardly ever seemed to slow me down quickly enough.

I'll take your advice next time Passan I skipped the cruise control part as I thought I knew how it worked
Old 03-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

clarification time

it does not move in 5mph increments, (that happens with the 1mph with a little flick of the lever) - movement beyond the point of resistance will increment/decrement up to the next divisible-by-5 #,,,

iow, if you are at 67mph and push the lever past the resistance you will be taken to 70mph, NOT 72mph
Old 03-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Mar 5 2004, 02:43 AM
clarification time

it does not move in 5mph increments, (that happens with the 1mph with a little flick of the lever) - movement beyond the point of resistance will increment/decrement up to the next divisible-by-5 #,,,

iow, if you are at 67mph and push the lever past the resistance you will be taken to 70mph, NOT 72mph
Yes, that's what I tried to say, although probably not very clearly. Here's what I wrote:

"...E60 & E65 do it in precise 5 miles/hour increments when you push the lever beyond the resistance point (after first going to the next 5mph mark). "

What I meant by "the next 5mph mark" is what you call "divisible-by-5 #". After you do this once and are at the next "divisible-by-5 #" then any further up or down flick beyond the resistance point WILL take you up or down by 5 MPH increments (which at this point happen to be the divisible-by-5 #'s anyways).

Thanks......your explanation is clearer and easier to understand than my attempt.

rodybmw
Old 03-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Members

I've noticed that F__k and Sh_t are starting to appear in various posts as if adding them to the post makes the post more informative.

While I realize this won't stop I can state that there are several hundred thousand other words in the english language to choose from so sprinkling your post with filth and foul only demonstrates a lack of skills and education.

In addition, use of these words is considered abuse so just stop.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Easter Egg