E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done everything that was suggested to locate/get rid of the interior noise I have. I have driven with the windows cracked, still there, I tried driving with the seat in various positions, still there, and I drove with the steering wheel in different positions, still there. I have pinpointed that it is coming from the front drivers area of the cabin. It's just that I can not get it to happen often enought to locate it. It's not a constant thing and happens in various situations. My gut feeling it is either the seat or door. On a positive note I guess I can now rule out some of the other things that have been mentioned as a possible problem. My plan is to eventually locate the area and then point it out to the SA instead of going through a wild goose chase. Any other ideas appreciated. This is my first BMW and I love the performance but didn't expect the interior noise. However I am coming from a Lexus LS which was quite as a cave.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by KCH525i' date='May 31 2005, 06:24 PM
I have done everything that was suggested to locate/get rid of the interior noise I have. I have driven with the windows cracked, still there, I tried driving with the seat in various positions, still there, and I drove with the steering wheel in different positions, still there. I have pinpointed that it is coming from the front drivers area of the cabin. It's just that I can not get it to happen often enought to locate it. It's not a constant thing and happens in various situations. My gut feeling it is either the seat or door. On a positive note I guess I can now rule out some of the other things that have been mentioned as a possible problem. My plan is to eventually locate the area and then point it out to the SA instead of going through a wild goose chase. Any other ideas appreciated. This is my first BMW and I love the performance but didn't expect the interior noise. However I am coming from a Lexus LS which was quite as a cave.
[snapback]134960[/snapback]
I am not sure who provided you with all these suggestions. Your creak/rattle sounds like the door, but is infact the felt seal on the door. BMW used to recommend cleaning these seals and lubricating them with Carboflo as a solution. This worked but seemed to be a temporary solution. They now have new seals. Do a search for door seals and you will find a wealth of information.

It is most probably not the steering column and not your seat. Driving with the windows up or down will not make a difference either.

The noise is re-creatable. It happens when there is enough body flex. At slow speeds make the car lean backward by accelerating or lean forward by braking. You will hear it.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Members

i have same situation....What is best to do to fix it?? Must i go back to dealer??
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Same here. Getting worse now because of the weather. Awful noises on the 530i. Going to dealer tomorrow to have it fix.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply I guess it is the door seals. I just thought that someone posted that if you put your windows down it will not do it. It is definately coming from that area and when there seems to be situations when the body flex's. I'll check into it at my first service.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:48 AM
5er
Members

Originally Posted by KCH525i' date='Jun 1 2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the reply I guess it is the door seals. I just thought that someone posted that if you put your windows down it will not do it. It is definately coming from that area and when there seems to be situations when the body flex's. I'll check into it at my first service.
[snapback]135055[/snapback]
I used to have the same problem in my E60, and I used Silicone Spray to condition the rubber of the door seals. Miraculously the creaking went away. Don't expect it to be a permanent solution, wait for the new door seals that will be introduced by BMW to lay this issue to rest once and for all.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D SE

I've found the cause of my E60's loud door creaking to be the flock (fuzzy) lining on the tops of the doors, not the seals.

After much testing I've found I can leave the rubber door seals dry and soak these flock strips only with silicone based lubricant spray.

I've done this once and it has lasted almost three months without re-application.

This seems to be a common problem, which was driving me crazy, but this solution seems to have permanently fixed the creaking.