E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crashed it. 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i sport/premium package, Black and Tan 2000 528i premium package, Black and Tan

Glad to hear you were ok. That sounds really scary. The black ice is the most treacherous part of winter driving, I live in Minnesota. Glad to hear the BMW was stout enough to protect you. Most RWD Bimmer owners here in the Great White North use winter tires however even they aren't full proof on the black ice.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Atleast you are okey, and that is the important thing. We have a similar situation here in Chicago a few days ago were it rained late night and extremely cold temp overnight. A recipe for black ice road. IDOT shot down 157 miles of highway to prevent more accidents. TV news footage of the road shows drifting and sudden 180 turns and even rollovers.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Glad to hear you're okay. I craked up yesterday too, same storm I guess. I guess January is better than June not to have my car.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' post='753921' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:45 PM
There were plenty of SUV's flying by me. The rear end just lost traction. I can't explain it any other way. I didn't actually *see* the ice, I just assumed it.
Sorry to hear that my friend. As a fellow 2005 545i owner, I can tell you snow tyres make ALL the difference. There is still slipping and sliding but its well worth the investment when you compare all season to winter wheels. Dont give up on the car. I am guessing your residual value is ~ 30K so depending on the degree of damage...may not be worth repairing esp if there is engine or internal damage.

Good luck.....
Old 01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Members

You can feel the vehicle start to lose tracking, lay off the gas completely, stay straight and dont brake.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='754144' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:57 AM
I traded in an AWD '04 Yukon Denali for my BMW. It would slide on ice just as much as any car. I was driving to work the other morning and hit a patch of black ice on a small, short bridge, much the same as you described, and I could feel the car lose grip. I was only going 40 tops and the reason I didn't spin was that the bridge was only 10 feet long. The XI didn't and wasn't going to help me.

The only things that do well on ice are ICE SKATES!
Yeah there were plenty of SUVs and FWD cars flying by me. It was the strangest thing, really out of nowhere. The car DID just start fishtailing on me. I literally was going straight with no movement left, right, or acceleration/braking.

I do think that the RWD played a large part in this. Obviously the tires too. But I could literally feel the back end just lose its traction in a way I couldn't imagine a FWD or AWD doing.

I got the estimate back. Initially it was $4100 - at a Certified BMW Body Shop. They opened the car up and now its up to $10,000.

Ugh.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='754173' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:29 AM
As others have state, I think two factors played into your situation....not the proper tires and and some sort of acceleration, turn, or hard brake on a slippery patch of snow/ice mix. I can tell you folks in Denver are not immune to spin outs regardless of 4WD or tires, ice is ice.

What I typically do if I am running up on a questionable area of the road...is to just let off the gas and let the cars momentum take you through the area in question. If your are not changing the car's direction of travel or adding or subtracting from the car's momentum, then its path will continue to be true.

Glad to hear your okay.....and regarding your lazy statement, just do what I did. I bought a used Toyota 4runner for about $2000, probably the price you'd be pay for a good winter set up (wheels/tires). That way, aside from having something to drive in the soup when its dicey outside, you not only dont worry about yourself, but others who may smash into you. Best insurance you could ever ask for. totally worth it!

Good luck in your next car purchase....but you cant blame the RWD. Just like anything else, there's limits.
Re used 4runner: That is a good idea.

On the "ease off the gas approach" - that would have worked, except I didn't see the black ice. It was "wintry" out. I am obviously a numb-nuts for taking this car out but if you were in the car with me 5 seconds before it spun out - like me - you wouldn't have any idea what was about to happen.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='754208' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry for learning the hardway not to drive RWD in snow and maybe with not proper tires ?

They call me "chicken at work". Whenever I hear any rumor about snow or ice, I stay working from home? Will continue to do that until I get an xi or X5.

My 2 cents. (advice from the chicken with no head)
Yes I almost always work from home on these days. I left early actually. I came in because we are about to sell our company and I needed to be around in the morning. Tough break. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='754359' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:35 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am glad you are ok, and for your sake I hope the insurance totals it out so you can move on from a car you no longer trust.

But, keep one thing in mind, these car weren't designed and built in Saudi Arabia. Germany is a winter wonderland - and a lot of that is taken into consideration. I believe this was a fluke, and the car saved you from more injury that it's design caused for you.

Moral of the story, move to California.
The car is a tank and probably saved my life.

Now that I have some distance from the accident, I don't think I'd drive anything but a 5-series.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Big_Moe' post='755008' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear that and gald you and no one got hurt, but I thought DSC/DCT are desgined to handle this type of sitiuations which they do @ 50 mph on rain storms.
Yeah I thought so too.

Quick Reply: Crashed it. 2005 545i