E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Couple of Questions re the LCI 535i

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

All, have been searching and reading the "fine print" and can't really find a definitive answer to the following questions:

1) On the "non-comfort access" '08 models...will I have the key with the remote buttons in the head (the one that recharges automatically while in the ignition) or just a fob unit attached to the key ring?

2) When ordering, I did not see the option for an "active alarm" on the 5 series...is this a standard feature or not available?

3) The "Comfort Stop" feature in the braking system..while I have searched and read several posts here related to the comfort stop feature...nowhere can I find the precise functioning of that system...

thanks!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='485076' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:22 PM
All, have been searching and reading the "fine print" and can't really find a definitive answer to the following questions:

1) On the "non-comfort access" '08 models...will I have the key with the remote buttons in the head (the one that recharges automatically while in the ignition) or just a fob unit attached to the key ring?

2) When ordering, I did not see the option for an "active alarm" on the 5 series...is this a standard feature or not available?

3) The "Comfort Stop" feature in the braking system..while I have searched and read several posts here related to the comfort stop feature...nowhere can I find the precise functioning of that system...

thanks!
I can reply to #1. With non-comfort access you get a key fob that has remote buttons and recharges automatically while in ignition. The comfort access fob looks similar but does not recharge in the ignition because its not really supposed to be in the ignition. The remote buttons open locks, trunk, windows and is a panic alarm.

#2 I believe all e 60's have the alarm. Not sure though...
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='485076' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:22 PM

thanks!

2 - The 2008 5 series has a complete alarm included, but I do not think its "active" rather than "passive"

3 - The comfort stop is either one of two functions: The BMW will increasingly apply more pressure to the brakes in relation to how hard you step on the brake pedal whenever you do
so repeatedly. This counteracts brake fade. The BMW will also maintain brake pressure in a manual tranny whenever you release the brake and go into gear.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by pukka' post='485109' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:34 PM
2 - The 2008 5 series has a complete alarm included, but I do not think its "active" rather than "passive"

3 - The comfort stop is either one of two functions: The BMW will increasingly apply more pressure to the brakes in relation to how hard you step on the brake pedal whenever you do
so repeatedly. This counteracts brake fade. The BMW will also maintain brake pressure in a manual tranny whenever you release the brake and go into gear.

pukka - that's where it gets confusing...I thought I had read the the brakes applied more pressure for two reasons - to better stop in a panic situation and to better stop when the brakes are hot (i.e., counteract brake fade). Neither of those appear to have any relation to the "Comfort Stop" function. As far as the manual transmisson "Start Assist" where it holds the brakes for a second while you get moving (I've seen this referred to as "hill assit" as well). I had thought the comfort stop was more for the last few feet/mph of the stop to keep the car from stopping roughly....I could be wrong as it is confusing - thx!!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Hotlap,

Your last post was correct. Unfortunately I don't have my owners manual handy to give you accurate info on "Comfort Stop". If nobody else chimes in, I'll have more to pass on tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='485082' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:31 AM
I can reply to #1. With non-comfort access you get a key fob that has remote buttons and recharges automatically while in ignition. The comfort access fob looks similar but does not recharge in the ignition because its not really supposed to be in the ignition. The remote buttons open locks, trunk, windows and is a panic alarm.

#2 I believe all e 60's have the alarm. Not sure though...
V8 - thanks for the confirmation...such a simple yet elegant answer to keeping the key fob battery charged!! Got to hand it to BMW - VERY computerized approach to harnessing technology in autos....just hope that all that complexity is fairly reliable in the long run.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

This is in layman's, but as I recall when this was first brought a while back, Comfort Stop involved actually relaxing the grip on the brakes slightly just as the car comes to a stop to avoid the jerking stop that the big brakes caused in earlier models, like mine!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='485186' date='Oct 23 2007, 02:42 PM
This is in layman's, but as I recall when this was first brought a while back, Comfort Stop involved actually relaxing the grip on the brakes slightly just as the car comes to a stop to avoid the jerking stop that the big brakes caused in earlier models, like mine!

That's more along the lines of what I had been reading about the "comfort stop" feature...thx!