E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Couple of minor boost/rev/misfire issues 530d auto. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 330ci Clubsport
Default Couple of minor boost/rev/misfire issues 530d auto. Help!

I have a couple of minor issues

1) when changing gear from 1st to 2nd in drive, *at slow speed I. E crawling, *it is a bit firm on the shift. *At any pace at all it is very smooth. *Will a transmission oil change help? *I don't really care just don't want it to wear anything unnecessarily. *Hopefully unrelated to below.*

2) at 70 mph whilst cruising, *I get a slight misfire/boost fluctuation. *I'm assuming it's not the common gearbox tc/mechatronic fault because the revs don't bounce around etc. *This is very minor, *almost like when using cruise control it accelerating and decelerating very slightly to compensate for a road gradient. *You struggle to see the needle change.*

3) I think the same issue as above, *in second gear if I hold the revs at about 1700 to 2500 and accelerate slowly, *I can hear the turbo spool increasing and cutting out, *I. E *whoosh, *whoosh, *whoosh... *Again like a misfire/boost issue*

2 and 3 are both on very light load, *I can drive the car hard and it's smooth as silk. *If I'm accelerating or decelerating it doesn't occur. *It is worse on cruise control. *Makes no difference in manual or drive.*

I've hooked up my Android phone to bluetooth adapter and used torque. App. *Boost will peak at around 22psi *and is around 1.5 to 2.5 cruising. *I tried to see if the fluctuation affected it and want to say it did *but the difference is minor so might not have.*

I've recently had both thermostats done, *and the DPF is now noticeably regenerating every 7 to 10 days so hopefully this isn't the issue. The car was used by a mother so I'm guessing it's done more town driving than most. Car got scanned and had a couple of glow plugs out being the only issue which I'm told doesn't affect the drive. *(but oddly was told it wouldn't regenerate the dpf with two out.....)*

I plan on changing the air filter, *which I'm presuming when out reveals the EGR so I can clean? I've also had it suggested it's the vacuum pipes but I wasn't sure where to look for these. *

Any help appreciated and pictures to aid my diy service too.