E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Could my ECU really be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got my car back yesterday and it's FINALLY FIXED!!!!

I can tell a MAJOR difference in the car. Smoother idle, better acceleration, and no more CEL.

Screw BMW SA.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by ronmexico
Well I got my car back yesterday and it's FINALLY FIXED!!!!

I can tell a MAJOR difference in the car. Smoother idle, better acceleration, and no more CEL.

Screw BMW SA.
For the benefit of future members, can you outline the problem and the steps taken?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM
New Members

Sure.

-Engine misfire started on the highway @ ~75000 miles

-Indy shop replaced all 8 coils & plugs

-Indy shop also replaced 2 motors on the variable intake

-The wanted to rule out a blown cylinder head, so they performed a compression test on all of the cylinders on the DRIVER'S side (the bank that was misfiring). Compression was fine.

-Car continued to idle rough and misfire on only one row of banks. Many tests were performed and the coils/plugs were ruled out as a problem. Shop suspected ECU at first but continued to troubleshoot until they were certain.

-Upon further diagnosis, they opened the valve covers and inspected the operation of the engine with visual inspection. They noticed the valve cover gaskets were slightly worn, and opted to replace them.

-The engine was still running rough, and turning out ECU codes (I will need to update what the exact codes were - I don't have them right now). They reccomended taking it to BMW for further diagnosis.

-I found out via this thread that there is an 80,000 Deferal warranty on all emissions and related components. Although I saked my local BMW Center in SA to diagnose the catalytic converter and the associated codes, they did not, and charged me for service & parts I didn;t need.

-They attribyted my problem(s) to improper coils and plugs, and a bad battery.

-Upon $~1600 spent at the dealer, the problem still existed.

-Took car back to indy shop and watched them pull the plugs. Nothing wrong with any of them. Watched them pull the Engine Code on their AutoLogic scanner.

-Called BMW North America and started a case. After about 2 weeks, I finally heard back and got assigned the Service Manager at my dealer.

-Service Manager passed me to a different Service Advisor - who continued to do a really poor job of communicating and fixing my car. After a lot of headache they finally admitted that the driver side catalytic converter was bad, and would be rplaced under warranty. This extended diag and labor was "free"

All total the event set me back 5,480 . A lot of money to chase a problem. About 1600 of that was spent at the BMW center, on 4hours of diag, a battery, and 2 coils. None of which was needed, and all but 2 hours of diagnosis was agreed to. All in all, it was a terrible experience and I'm glad to have it over.

Now I get to figure out if I should sue my local dealer in small claims court. I'm going to write a letter to BMW NA and see if I can get some re-imbursement there, but I'm doubtful. I should also point out that here in SA, we have one dealer. So I don't really have much of an option to take it somerwhere else.

I want to start taking it to BMW of North Austin, but it's about a 75mile drive. In this case, that's not too practical because the car wasn't drivable.

I'm just SO GLAD to have it back & working. I missed it so much!!!!

Last edited by ronmexico; 03-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Holy crap! In the end, a faulty cat which you requested be checked! Small claims lawsuit indeed! Glad you got her back, but sorry to hear of such dealer contempt and incompetance!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Holy crap! In the end, a faulty cat which you requested be checked! Small claims lawsuit indeed! Glad you got her back, but sorry to hear of such dealer contempt and incompetance!
I really would have been in a much worse situation w/o the help of this thread, and members like you. Thank you for the info and encouragement during the process.

I'll update the thread if/when I get the final resolution taken care of.

It's also time for some pics. Haven't done much photo posting of the car in a while...

BTW I LOVE the stance on your 545 . How is the ride quality being that low in the older v8? Looks AMAZING!!!

Last edited by ronmexico; 03-31-2013 at 03:36 PM.