E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cost to repair scratches to bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
asg
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

Hi. Was hoping to get insights from the board. I had my car in to the dealer to install a cradle and wood trim. In the process my front and rear bumpers were damaged. The front has a spot by the right wheel well were the paint was rubbed off and the rear has two spots where it made contact with another car's license plate nuts. Dealer has offered to repair at their cost (i.e.. I pay their cost to fix it...no typical dealer markup). I asked for an estimate and they quoted me $1700! Ouch! Seems to me that this is a bit steep for what is essentially buffing and painting. Has anyone here had scratches on their bumpers repaired and at what cost? I'm starting to lose my patience with this dealer and may need to pursue legal action etc. to get some results.

java script:emoticon('')
smilie
Old 11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by asg' date='Nov 3 2005, 05:37 PM
Hi. Was hoping to get insights from the board. I had my car in to the dealer to install a cradle and wood trim. In the process my front and rear bumpers were damaged. The front has a spot by the right wheel well were the paint was rubbed off and the rear has two spots where it made contact with another car's license plate nuts. Dealer has offered to repair at their cost (i.e.. I pay their cost to fix it...no typical dealer markup). I asked for an estimate and they quoted me $1700! Ouch! Seems to me that this is a bit steep for what is essentially buffing and painting. Has anyone here had scratches on their bumpers repaired and at what cost? I'm starting to lose my patience with this dealer and may need to pursue legal action etc. to get some results.

java script:emoticon('')
smilie
[snapback]193125[/snapback]
Your dealer should do the repairs for free. Given the cost they quoted, they probably are repainting the whole front and rear bumpers--which ideally is what should be done. IMO, you should be calm, but firm--that it is their legal responsibility to repair your car for free. I would be prepared to tell them who I am going to complain to if they do not fix it for free--BBB, BMW, local TV stations that give air time to such matters, state attorney general, etc., etc. For what it's worth, I always do a walk around with my SA, on each dealer visit, so he knows that there is no (or is) previously damage to my car.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributors

In the SF Bay area I have used The Dent Guys Dent Guys for dings.

They also have a Bumper Repair

<snip>

Bumper scuffs scrapes and gouges restored to factory finish. Expert color matching for the most discerning customer.

<snip>

The advertisements I have seen at the local car wash for this service is $250.00/bumper.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by SFBimmer' date='Nov 3 2005, 02:48 PM

<snip>

Bumper scuffs scrapes and gouges restored to factory finish. Expert color matching for the most discerning customer.

<snip>

The advertisements I have seen at the local car wash for this service is $250.00/bumper.

Good luck!

[snapback]193131[/snapback]
I agree dent wizard $50 -$100
Old 11-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Nov 3 2005, 06:00 PM
[quote name='SFBimmer' date='Nov 3 2005, 02:48 PM']In the SF Bay area I have used The Dent Guys Dent Guys for dings.

<snip>

<snip>

Good luck!

I agree dent wizard $50 -$100
[snapback]193138[/snapback]
[/quote]
Dent wizard is for dents, right? Wrong? He has paint problems.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFBimmer' date='Nov 3 2005, 05:48 PM

<snip>

<snip>

Good luck!

I would want my bumper painted by "Joe's" Car Wash for any amount of money.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Hi ASG......Am I misinterpreting what you said. They caused the damage and are now quoting you a price to repair "WHAT THEY DID" That is not going to get it. Since I live in the New York area (Nassau County) exactly which dealer are you dealing with????. BMW of Bayside, Life Quality, I certainly would pick up the phone and call BMW NA and see what they have to say about this.

It isn't right and you should have to pay, 0, zip, nada, nothing, . Ok guys, am I wrong in my assessmernt. I think thats a down right rip off by the dealer.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Smile

If they damaged was caused when the car was at the dealership then its thier problem and thet need to fix it for FREE!!!!. You should pay NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

The dealer is BMW of manhattan...BMWNA owned. I picked up on a saturday close to noon and there was no-one around except the receptionist, so I took my car and sent my rep an email highlighting the damage. Initially they told me that since I had taken the car, there was nothing they could do. After some compalining, they came back claiming that the damage was highlighted on the check-in sheet. When i brought the car in, i hadn't noticed anything on the rear bumper and i specifically looked at the area where the paint has been rubbed off in the front bumper because it had some dirt on it that i wiped off. No one called my attention to any of this damage at check-in....but since I wasn't given a copy of the original check-in sheet, it's my word against the dealer's. It is odd that the check-in shet explanation only surfaced after i had provided a detailed accounting of the damage.

I brought my car in at the manager's request. When i got their he pretended that this was the first he was hearing about my issues and offered to do the work at his cost. At which point I asked for the quote...which late today i heard was $1700.

Ironically, at the check-in this morning the guy who inspected my car completely missed the damage on my front bumper...some check-in process
Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Bummer my friend, I would still try to work it out with BMW NA. I used BMW of Manhattan on 9/29/05 in lower Manhattan in the Wall Street area. I had a blow out, was dress in a suit and called roadside repair. BMW of Manhattan responded rather quickly and changed my tire with no problems.

I would think that if they had discovered the damaged during checkin, someone should have pointed it out to you. You have nothing to loose by trying, at least, if you point that out to them they may come down in price. Give it a try. Good luck

Quick Reply: Cost to repair scratches to bumpers