E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Tank Float broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a low coolant message on my 545i this morning. I opened the expansion tank and saw that the float was below the min mark. I added coolant and watched the float rise to the max level. When I started to screw the cap on, the float tip must have been wedged on something because I broke off about a 1/2 inch of the top of the float. Can the float be replaced, or do I need a new expansion tank? Will it hurt to run the car like this?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

wow, whats with our 545's recently?! i think there was another thread about our cars (545) saying low coolant, because last week my idrive told me the same thing, coolant level low. you're at least the 3rd person i know that had this problem in as many weeks. is there some kind of timer? makes you wonder huh. i digress

anyhow, sorry to hear about the float. you should be fine for now. I think it comes as one unit. i dont think you'll be able to take it apart, at least according to realoem.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=17&fg=05

just for peace of mind i would replace it immediately since the float is broken. (now did the piece fall in the tank? hope not) last thing you want is an engine running on low, low or no coolant at all. call your dealer to find out price, maybe around $100 for unit + coolant service. if you ask me it's a small price to pay imo. good luck
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='944042' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:35 AM
wow, whats with our 545's recently?! i think there was another thread about our cars (545) saying low coolant, because last week my idrive told me the same thing, coolant level low. you're at least the 3rd person i know that had this problem in as many weeks. is there some kind of timer? makes you wonder huh. i digress

anyhow, sorry to hear about the float. you should be fine for now. I think it comes as one unit. i dont think you'll be able to take it apart, at least according to realoem.

just for peace of mind i would replace it immediately since the float is broken. (now did the piece fall in the tank? hope not) last thing you want is an engine running on low, low or no coolant at all. call your dealer to find out price, maybe around $100 for unit + coolant service. if you ask me it's a small price to pay imo. good luck
The piece cracked in half, I was able to get it before it fell into the tank.

Since I owned a E39 540i, I am very familiar with the damn Low Coolant light. That car drank coolant had mysterious drinking issues...

I'll go price out the tank.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='944042' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:35 PM

Last week I had my 545 in to replace a valley pan gasket which was the main culprit along with a few other parts. Before this I was slowly losing coolant till it got to the point where the coolant was too low. With the 100+ temps down here in Texas, I figured I better get it fixed quickly. Everything is good now, except my wallet is alot lighter.