E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant tank cracked..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I just had my car out of the shop today. Replaced Thermostat, put new door seals in, replaced hood and trunk shocks, new battery, black grills, new muffler.. I was gonna take it for a ride and..

The "coolant low" warning came up. I thought it's just needs to add coolant. Then I see white smoke coming out from under the hood. Stopped immediately and there I see coolant is flowing out of the tank like a waterfall..

You can see the floor on the picture all wet. Hope it didn't damage anything else in coolant system other then the tank
Attached Thumbnails Coolant tank cracked..-securedownload.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Sorry to see that Vlad, no way to start the weekend!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Members

This has been a BMW problem for years and I do not understand why they do not change suppliers.I have had over 6 BMW's over the past ten years for me and my kids and I am replacing those pieces of shit tanks all the time. They need to be called out in the media like Toyota
Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributors

What does it cost to pre-emptively replace one before this happens?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by chestervt
This has been a BMW problem for years and I do not understand why they do not change suppliers.I have had over 6 BMW's over the past ten years for me and my kids and I am replacing those pieces of shit tanks all the time. They need to be called out in the media like Toyota
I know. My coworker just had that happen to his 3 series a week ago, and another guy had that on e39. Both of them had radiator leak shortly after that. Hope my doesn't.. You right, BMW cooling systems are very fragille and it needs to be addressed. May be because these engines run under high operating temprature
Originally Posted by Howitzer
What does it cost to pre-emptively replace one before this happens?
I will post the cost here after I pick up the car. I didn't ask yet, just left the car in the shop over the weekend (again..). By the way Howitzer our cars look alike : ) I also got the black grill recently
Attached Thumbnails Coolant tank cracked..-img_1255.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Members

coolant tank? do you mean the expansion tank or the radiator?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kpatter
coolant tank? do you mean the expansion tank or the radiator?
i circled the "tank". i thought it is coolant tank since that's were you put the coolant. may be it called differently not sure
Attached Thumbnails Coolant tank cracked..-bmw-545i.19.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

That's the expansion tank, much cheaper to replace than the radiator!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Sorry to hear that - my expansion tank exploded this past summer, so I feel your pain...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me about 6mo. ago! They replaced the "cracked" coolant expansion tank... NOW I've got a coolant leak, I believe from the radiator,
that happened within a week of me taking it in for scheduled maintenance service!! Oi - for the Love of BMW!!!

Quick Reply: Coolant tank cracked..