E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant Low Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by as300z' post='1062358' date='Nov 25 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

I have had my coolant low indicator go off 4 times since August and Everytime I bring it to the dealer, they say this is normal and because it is an 8 cylinder it runs hot. That was the explanation they are giving as to why i keep emtying my overflow tank. I would like to know if any one else here has experienced this issue. Oh...By the way, the car is a 2005 545i with 50,000 miles. It is under the CPO warranty as well.

Thanks
I have 04 545 and a week ago change expansion tank
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

UPDATE: I picked up my car last Thursday and they said a hose was leaking so they replaced it. Well it started leaking again on Friday night and I noticed it Saturday morning. I just left a message with my SA. This will be the fourth time I am going in. Also, I received the increased emissions warning for the 4th or so time. Now I am going to have to take my car to the dealer to get my state inspection.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Members

Update:

The dealer looked at the car yesterday and ran a pressure test. They said everything checked out fine. They are going to give me a gallon of coolant to keep in the trunk. I was told that this is normal for the 8 cylinders and not to be surprised that they will burn oil too..>WTF? I'm not happy about this answer and opened a case with BMWNA. I have never owned a car that burned oil and coolant. The coolant is a sealed system and I shouldn't be filling up the overflow every 2 months or so. Also, the temperature here is 40 degrees or lower. Explain how it is evaporating? If this is normal for BMW, I think I will be buying other brands in the future! I'm very dissappointed.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Members

Picked up the car with no repairs done. They pressure tested it for 3 hours and they didn't find anything abnormal. I was told that the engine is magnesium and alluminum and the metal can be porous. That is the reaosn why i need to refill the overflow bottle every few thousand miles
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Members

I had similar issues and it was the water pump. Try wiggling the pulley and see if it moves. My 04 545i needed topping off every couple of months and then I found some coolant on the front right part of the motor under the top hose.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

wow! seems like our 545's just all of a sudden decided to get thirsty. for 2 months now i've been continually filling the expansion tank. well, 3 days ago a damn puddle of water creeped out from under my car in the garage. after running the car for a few minutes, i pop the hood up and BAM! immediately I noticed a leak at the return hose just before going into the radiator, where the temperature sensor is at; lower left corner of radiator. come to realize my temperature sensor was leaking (o-ring failed) and not the hose.

i literally just got done doing this repair last nite into the weee hours. took it out for a test drive this morning and so far so good.

just wanna give some props to member tex_phil for some tips and advice.

to the op, your issue don't sound as obvious as mine did (puddle of water under car?). i would assume, unfortunately, that the leak may be internal. I've read another thread on hear about how our v8s can have a particular problem with some cooling pipe going fore to aft of engine. in order to fix this coolant problem, it would require lifting out the engine! big costly repair that run in the thousands. some 7 series owners had this problem also. good luck

***EDIT*** heres the link: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=88693
Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

They didn't detect any issues with the head gasket(s) on the pressure test? Coolant in oil and burnoff would likely indicate that. I just recently had to get my water pump (electric) replaced on my I6 530i, as well as the thermostat, but I was getting no circulation (heater wouldn't work) and blowback when I ran the car from cold with the overflow cap off.

1) Where are you guys seeing the leak?
2) Does the heater blow hot when you put it on super-hot climate settings?
3) Is there any residue visible on the exhaust pipes?
4) On the V8 models, I'm pretty sure you guys are still using belt-driven water pumps, and these are MUCH cheaper than us with the electric pumps on the Inline 6s.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by as300z' post='1071431' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:00 AM
Update:

The dealer looked at the car yesterday and ran a pressure test. They said everything checked out fine. They are going to give me a gallon of coolant to keep in the trunk. I was told that this is normal for the 8 cylinders and not to be surprised that they will burn oil too..>WTF? I'm not happy about this answer and opened a case with BMWNA. I have never owned a car that burned oil and coolant. The coolant is a sealed system and I shouldn't be filling up the overflow every 2 months or so. Also, the temperature here is 40 degrees or lower. Explain how it is evaporating? If this is normal for BMW, I think I will be buying other brands in the future! I'm very dissappointed.
Most cars, when driven enthustiastically will burn more oil. 15k intervals usually will require an additional quart or two depending on driving style and engine type. If you were to look at acceptable oil consumption, it was as high as 1 quart/1k mile. Anything above that can be considered normal by the dealer.
Same goes for the coolant, They expect top up every once in a while.
Regards.
Raj
Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM
bzq
Members

I have got this same problem few weeks ago , my 545 takes about 1 liter of coolant for a week, there wasnt any leaking form the system. I have checked the weep whole form crossover pipe and there was water. My mechanic taked out this pipe and oring on the pipe was broken! So every 545 550 745 750 will have this same issue. Those engines takes cooland cause the fault is this pipe! And in every v8 form 2002-2009 this pipe is! Check weep whole for 100% there will be water!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by bzq' post='1072713' date='Dec 12 2009, 06:57 PM
I have got this same problem few weeks ago , my 545 takes about 1 liter of coolant for a week, there wasnt any leaking form the system. I have checked the weep whole form crossover pipe and there was water. My mechanic taked out this pipe and oring on the pipe was broken! So every 545 550 745 750 will have this same issue. Those engines takes cooland cause the fault is this pipe! And in every v8 form 2002-2009 this pipe is! Check weep whole for 100% there will be water!
Just because you had a blown o-ring doesn't mean that every 545, 550, 745, and 750 that has coolant issues (including need for refill) has a blown o-ring...

Quick Reply: Coolant Low Warning