E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant Low Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 PM
bzq
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benjihana' post='1072789' date='Dec 13 2009, 05:04 AM
Just because you had a blown o-ring doesn't mean that every 545, 550, 745, and 750 that has coolant issues (including need for refill) has a blown o-ring...

Belive me every v8 had this problem, specialy after 4 years. What is need for refill? Do you think that cooling system needs refilling like petrol? If you need to refill your cooling system its menan that something happends, if you not seeing the leaking and have v8 you have serius problem, it is that o-ring for 99,9%. Its sad but true. Costs of new parts are about 200 euros my mechanic replace for me this pipe for 250 euro.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by bzq' post='1072857' date='Dec 13 2009, 02:27 AM
Belive me every v8 had this problem, specialy after 4 years. What is need for refill? Do you think that cooling system needs refilling like petrol? If you need to refill your cooling system its menan that something happends, if you not seeing the leaking and have v8 you have serius problem, it is that o-ring for 99,9%. Its sad but true. Costs of new parts are about 200 euros my mechanic replace for me this pipe for 250 euro.
Low coolant can be caused by:
  • Malfunctioning Water Pump
  • Slipped/Broken Head Gasket(s)
  • Reservoir Leak
  • Clogged Radiator Increasing Pressure
  • Or Any Number of Locations Where a Clamp/Seal/Hose Might be Cracked, Slit, Broken

I'm not saying that the o-ring shouldn't be checked, but you shouldn't jump to that conclusion either. Test your way to the problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

similar problem - white steam/smoke coming from under the bonnet once engine reached working temperature (2005 525i)- the steam is there for 5-10 seconds and then stopps.
a) thermostat replaced by dealer- problem persisted
b) took the car to the dealer again - no problem detected after inspection
c) last week I took again the car to the dealer - coolant expansion hose and pump replaced, plus some other hose replaced. driving this week- white steam in the morning again ....
Old 12-13-2009, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

can somebody check their 525i (N52 engine) - the return hose from radiator in the picture is not mounted fully imo. I have from time to time the white steam coming from the bonnet (front part). it is really annoying going to the dealer all the time and trying to GET service
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Low Warning-img_1676.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 AM
bzq
Members

Originally Posted by benjihana' post='1072858' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:49 AM
Low coolant can be caused by:
  • Malfunctioning Water Pump
  • Slipped/Broken Head Gasket(s)
  • Reservoir Leak
  • Clogged Radiator Increasing Pressure
  • Or Any Number of Locations Where a Clamp/Seal/Hose Might be Cracked, Slit, Broken

I'm not saying that the o-ring shouldn't be checked, but you shouldn't jump to that conclusion either. Test your way to the problem.
Of course it could be many differences problems, but belive me, BMW make mistake with this pipe and not made it better after lift. The life of this pipie is 4-5 years max. So if he was at dealer and they checked everything and dont find nothing, so it is for 99,9% this pipe. Every of those issues what you write about are very easy to checked. So if anybody with v8 engines need to top up coolant and didnt see the leakege should check this pipe. Type in google All Germans Auto .
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

I'm glad to see this topic is picking up steam. The symptoms for me are as follows:

Heater works in the car
No white smoke coming out of the exhaust
I need to refill expansion tank every 2 months but it is happening more frequently now
No residue of any kind under the hood
Haven't checked the oil to see if coolant is in the oil.
Water pump pulley doesn't wiggle
Pressure test doesn't show any drop
No signs of leaks anywhere

I appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver, Black Int, Cold Weather Package, Front, side and rear M kit

I just went out for a quick drive (wife wanted to look at Christmas lights). I wasn't driving for 5 minutes when I got an engine overheat warning and it told me to drive moderatly. 2 minutes later the car told me to shut down right away that the engine had overheated. I pulled over and chilled for about 15 minutes. I started back home and got the first warning then the next to shut down. I pulled over again and waited about 10 minutes then drove the quarter of a mile home.

I have never had this problem, and there was no puddle in the garage when I got home. Any suggestions as to what happened? I'm going to let the engine cool completely overnight and take a look at the coolant level in the am. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

Quick update: I received a call from my SA and he says the leak is from the radiator hose. He also mentioned that this is not covered under the extended warranty, and it will be around a $300 fix. Any truth to this situation?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='1073383' date='Dec 14 2009, 09:39 AM
Quick update: I received a call from my SA and he says the leak is from the radiator hose. He also mentioned that this is not covered under the extended warranty, and it will be around a $300 fix. Any truth to this situation?
rparik01,

Ask him which hose and ask him to show you where. Then go here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=17&fg=05 and find the hose he references. Check out Garry Romani, get your hoses and clamps and some BMW coolant, and replace the sucker if you feel up to it. $300 is most likely $50-$80 for the hose then 2 hours of labor. I'm guessing $50 and $250 in labor for a 2-hour job...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by as300z' post='1073098' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm glad to see this topic is picking up steam. The symptoms for me are as follows:

Heater works in the car
No white smoke coming out of the exhaust
I need to refill expansion tank every 2 months but it is happening more frequently now
No residue of any kind under the hood
Haven't checked the oil to see if coolant is in the oil.
Water pump pulley doesn't wiggle
Pressure test doesn't show any drop
No signs of leaks anywhere

I appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks
as300z,
You've stared diligently at all pipes, hoses, etc that you can see while the car is running? Who did the pressure test? Is there a seep hole in the water pump - nothing there?

Quick Reply: Coolant Low Warning