E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Control arm and bushing life span, how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know if your control arms or bushings are needing to be replaced?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Squeaking noise when you turn the steering lock-lock especially when the car stop ... clunking noise & excessive play/movement around the lower portion of the front end to name a few.

Originally Posted by Howitzer
How do you know if your control arms or bushings are needing to be replaced?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by manaiauds
Yes, the dealer said that they will replace the 2 front control arms and bushings for $1300.00. If I will go to an independent BMW shop will this affect my existing warranty?
I already talk to an Indy BMW shop- $180 for changing the bushing (just labor)and I can buy my own bushing.
What brand of bushing? Is Powerflex a nice brand?
Thank you all for the reply.

it might NOT only be the bushings remember on the control arm there is also balljoints associated to that arm. so therefore you should purchase the whole arm with ball joint and bushing. and if you change one new, you might as well replace the other to make it consistant
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

The owner/tech of the independent BMW shop that I consulted, test drove, lifted the car and showed me all the joints and bushings of the front suspension were still fine, contradicting the dealers claim that there was an excessive play on the thrust arms and bushings. He pointed out to me that the bushings and joints are still good for another 20K miles or so, but, if I want to change it, he will change it but it is not recommended at this point in time. He did all of these for free. He said that the labor for the control arm and bushing is $120.00 per side.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

The owner/tech of the independent BMW shop that I consulted, test drove, lifted the car and showed me all the joints and bushings of the front suspension were still fine, contradicting the dealers claim that there was an excessive play on the thrust arms and bushings. He pointed out to me that the bushings and joints are still good for another 20K miles or so, but, if I want to change it, he will change it but it is not recommended at this point in time. He did all of these for free.
Where in Chicago do u take it specifically?

I have a local guy, but am always looking for 2nd opinions, etc.

Always good to have options

This is a great thread....never even knew what a control arm or bushing was...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

The Indy Shop is in Mundelein
Autobahn Motor Works, Inc.
25752 N Route 83 (Corner of Rte. 83 & 45)
Mundelein, IL., 60060
(847)566-3430
Tony Rous Sr. & Jr.
I live in Vernon Hills so Mundelein is pretty close to me, and the Dealer is Knauz in Lake Bluff
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Hi to all!

I went in for service last Wednesday because of intermittent jerking at a steady speed of 35-40 mph on a flat crowned road, and also an intermittent donkey sound when making a slow tight turn, my SA told me that my 2 front bushings in the control arms are worn out and suggested to replace the control arm and bushings for $1300, my car is an 05 545i with 75k miles on it. I have a 6yr/100k warranty and my SA told me that the warranty doesn't apply for control arms and bushings.
I am really skeptic about the bushing thing and not a transmission issue because if it is a bad control arm bushing why was it intermittent and jerks at a steady speed of 35-40mph.
I need an advice regarding this matter.
Thank you!
I'm having the same issue with my 05 with 80K. I thought they were busting my chops but I guess she was due. Mine are being replaced under warranty (I bought a 3rd party warranty). I was having the same issues in a turn also.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VW2545i
I'm having the same issue with my 05 with 80K. I thought they were busting my chops but I guess she was due. Mine are being replaced under warranty (I bought a 3rd party warranty). I was having the same issues in a turn also.
if you dont mind.. how much for the 3rd party warranty and which one?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Contributors

I bought the car at a Chrysler dealership so I bought their warranty, and it also came with the Lifetime power train/Engine warranty. I think I paid $1300 for it and it has more than paid for itself.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Hi to all!

I went in for service last Wednesday because of intermittent jerking at a steady speed of 35-40 mph on a flat crowned road, and also an intermittent donkey sound when making a slow tight turn, my SA told me that my 2 front bushings in the control arms are worn out and suggested to replace the control arm and bushings for $1300, my car is an 05 545i with 75k miles on it. I have a 6yr/100k warranty and my SA told me that the warranty doesn't apply for control arms and bushings.
I am really skeptic about the bushing thing and not a transmission issue because if it is a bad control arm bushing why was it intermittent and jerks at a steady speed of 35-40mph.
I need an advice regarding this matter.
Thank you!
Manaiauds - How did you make out with this issue? I have an '04 with 46K miles and SA indicates control arm bushings need replaced. I reported a sudden change in steering/road feedback change, where the steering wheel felt too easy to turn, in other words, the steering wasn't as tight as it used to be.

Quick Reply: Control arm and bushing life span, how many miles?