E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arm and bushing life span, how many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Hi to all!

I went in for service last Wednesday because of intermittent jerking at a steady speed of 35-40 mph on a flat crowned road, and also an intermittent donkey sound when making a slow tight turn, my SA told me that my 2 front bushings in the control arms are worn out and suggested to replace the control arm and bushings for $1300, my car is an 05 545i with 75k miles on it. I have a 6yr/100k warranty and my SA told me that the warranty doesn't apply for control arms and bushings.
I am really skeptic about the bushing thing and not a transmission issue because if it is a bad control arm bushing why was it intermittent and jerks at a steady speed of 35-40mph.
I need an advice regarding this matter.
Thank you!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by manaiauds
Hi to all!

I went in for service last Wednesday because of intermittent jerking at a steady speed of 35-40 mph on a flat crowned road, and also an intermittent donkey sound when making a slow tight turn, my SA told me that my 2 front bushings in the control arms are worn out and suggested to replace the control arm and bushings for $1300, my car is an 05 545i with 75k miles on it. I have a 6yr/100k warranty and my SA told me that the warranty doesn't apply for control arms and bushings.
I am really skeptic about the bushing thing and not a transmission issue because if it is a bad control arm bushing why was it intermittent and jerks at a steady speed of 35-40mph.
I need an advice regarding this matter.
Thank you!
Unless you hear a wobble (rattling) noise or see the bushings from underneath blown out, then i would replace the control arms. i currently am experiencing this and ordered 2 aftermarket arms for 160.00 for 2 off ebay with a 1yr warranty. im having an independent bmw shop replace them for 150.00.... not sure how the jerking can be related but i would replace your front control arms just because your already almost reaching the 100k mark... i have a 2005 545i with 50,000 miles.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

It really seems like u need to replace the control arms and bushing BUT NOT FOR $1300!! Get the parts elsewhere and have it installed elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

$1,300 for the just the front? What kind of bushings and arms are they?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package/ Step/Orient Blue/ Anthracite Interior/ Navigation/ Cold Weather Package/ Logic 7/Sirius/ Fold down Rear Seats/ Power Rear Shades/ Xenon Adaptive Headlights/ 6000k Fog lights/ LED Angel Eyes/ LED interior/Smoked LED Side Signals/ Shadow Grill/ Shadow line Trim/ Shadow Matte Black Badges

Yes, the dealer said that they will replace the 2 front control arms and bushings for $1300.00. If I will go to an independent BMW shop will this affect my existing warranty?
I already talk to an Indy BMW shop- $180 for changing the bushing (just labor)and I can buy my own bushing.
What brand of bushing? Is Powerflex a nice brand?
Thank you all for the reply.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Members

Given the miles on your car, it's not a surprise that you need to replace your bushings. However, I'd have an independent shop inspect your control arms. Your upper control arms are probably okay, it's the lower lower control arms that typically wear out first. Many dealsers/shops suggest replacing all the control arms at the same time for pre-cautionary reasons, but it's a bit of overkill. Regardless, $1,300 for a complete replacement of the control arms and bushings is not a bad deal.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributors

what part is this? I can't seem to find it on realoem.com

Nevermind, found it on getbmwparts.com. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Bushings $83 each, arms $256 each.

Anyplace you can find aftermarket for way less? That seems pretty damn excessive...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
what part is this? I can't seem to find it on realoem.com

Nevermind, found it on getbmwparts.com. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Bushings $83 each, arms $256 each.

Anyplace you can find aftermarket for way less? That seems pretty damn excessive...

I have a friend that makes custom bushing kits and is thinking of designing a custom polyurethane bushing kit for our E60's... let me know if someone is interested in this.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

do not cheap out on control arms. Either get OEM or meyle HDs if they make it for BMWs.

Warranty doesnt cover suspension weare and tear items anyway. So u should be good to go.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

did it look something like this?

As mentioned before, you can buy the entire control arm for $250 then just need to pay labor to have it installed.
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...=2005&HCM=545i

Quick Reply: Control arm and bushing life span, how many miles?