E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuous Fuel Pump Priming every minute drains battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by duci29
Where is this relay? I was under the impression that the 2006 E60 didn't have a relay.

Look in the trunk fuse box ,, it's a black 1''x1'' square fuse with a diagnal handle on it .. You cant miss it , its the biggest fuse in the fuse box..

The terminal 30 g relay prevents increased closed-circuit current consumption, and contains the defined deactivation of loads/consumers by the CAS

Hopefully when you pull it , it will stop the current draw ... Good luck !

Last edited by H F; 06-23-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530 XI

I pulled that but didn't affect the fuel pump priming. As I said, I didn't think this model had a fuel pump relay. I finally made it to the glove box fuses, and finally, I was able to determine at the airbags is what is causing this. I pulled the airbag fuse, amperage dropped, and the car stopped priming the fuel pump. Now, onto determine what airbag is causing this...
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM
H F
New Members

I pulled that but didn't affect the fuel pump priming. As I said, I didn't think this model had a fuel pump relay. I finally made it to the glove box fuses, and finally, I was able to determine at the airbags is what is causing this. I pulled the airbag fuse, amperage dropped, and the car stopped priming the fuel pump. Now, onto determine what airbag is causing this...
That's really strange .. Let's us know what you find out ..
Old 06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

airbags and a lot of the core car electronics sit on a different CAN network therefore won't wake up the car. I assume the fuel pump sits on the same network
Old 06-24-2015, 05:26 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I would think so, as the fuel pump is stopped in case of an airbag deployment.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:13 AM
New Members

I learned something as well, as they fuel pump and airbags must to tied together. I left the airbag fuse out, and tried to start the car. First, the car struggled to start as if it wasn't getting any fuel,and of course every airbag warning available triggered. Lesson learned, need to put the fuse back before I start the car. I am still not sure really where to start looking. I pulled the seat sensors and that didn't resolve the issue. I believe I need to go to the module and start pulling from there, any other suggestions?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM
H F
New Members

I dug up a schematic that backs your physical findings .. The SGM ( safety gateway module )has a direct PT-Can Bus connection to the EKP (electronic fuel pump ) module . I tried to upload a whole pdf file but was too large to upload . So here is the Bus overview diagram pic and index below. So its possible its one of the two modules that's causing the drain , SGM or EKP ...
But just thought ,, if you pulled the fuel pump fuse and still had a draw , the air bags don't controll the signal to the EKP, the SGM does . So the SGM could be the culprit and not necessarily the actual airbags ..

Index Explanation
CAS Car access system
CDC Telephone
SZM Centre console switch cluster
CDC CD changer
PDC Park distance control
SGM Safety and gateway module
DWA Anti-theft alarm system
SBSL B-pillar satellite, left
RLS Rain/driving lights sensor
TMFA Door module, driver
AHM Trailer module
SFZ Vehicle centre satellite
SMFA Driver's seat module
SZL Steering column switch cluster
LM Light module
TMBF Door module, passenger
IHKA Integrated automatic heating/air conditioning
SBSR B-pillar satellite, right
SMBF Passenger's seat module
ACC Active cruise control
KBM Body basic module
EKP Electric fuel pump
SH Auxiliary heating
DSC Dynamic stability control
CDN Controller
EGS Electronic transmission control unit
Kombi Instrument cluster
ARS DynamicDrive
CID Central information display
AFS (AL) Active steering
SHD Slide/tilt sunroof
DME Digital engine electronics
M-ASK Multi-audio system controller
DDE Digital diesel electronics
Attached Thumbnails Continuous Fuel Pump Priming every minute drains battery-untitled.png  

Last edited by H F; 06-25-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM
New Members

The fuse slot is 29, which says it is Airbag and Diagnosis. I didn't see the Diagnosis initally. What I have noticed when this fuse is pulled is the car will not lock/unlock the front doors, and arm the alarm. Also, will not wake the car from sleep mode either
Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM
H F
New Members

The fuse slot is 29, which says it is Airbag and Diagnosis. I didn't see the Diagnosis initally. What I have noticed when this fuse is pulled is the car will not lock/unlock the front doors, and arm the alarm. Also, will not wake the car from sleep mode either
That makes sense because the SGM controls both driver (TMFA) and passenger (TMBF) door modules ,, that control the locking on both front doors . The SZL Steering column switch cluster,, is why it don't start . The SBSL B-pillar satellite, left, SFZ Vehicle centre satellite ,SBSR B-pillar satellite right ,, which control the air bags .. They are all on the same fuse circuit ...

I find it hard to believe that all those items are pulling a draw at the same time . I'm thinking it could be the SGM that's faulty ,,causing the EKP to prime , because of the PT Can Bus connection .. Or the SZL column switch ..

I would disconnect the SZL and put the fuse back in and see if the draw continues . That will give you an answer to rule it out .. And try the same with the SGM . Isolation of those items will give you the culprit

Last edited by H F; 06-25-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
H F
New Members

You recommend a new SGM? I can test for certain?
I'm not fully convinced its the SGM ,, untill the SZL is ruled out or visa versa .

You can disconnect one module at a time , put the fuse back in , then see which one pulls a draw .. Hopefully by the process of elimination and isolation the culprit will present itself . I would try pulling the SZL first , that will leave the SGM to pull the current if indeed is the problem .. And if it doesn't ,,then that means its good .And its the SZL . Then plug The SZL back in and see if thats whats pulling the current ..

Last edited by H F; 06-25-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Continuous Fuel Pump Priming every minute drains battery