E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Constantly resetting Clock/Date

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe it's supposed to do that...
Old 10-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

is it possible that the clips came into contact with each other and shorted it out..
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by madoon' post='348751' date='Oct 25 2006, 11:48 AM
is it possible that the clips came into contact with each other and shorted it out..
Nope, first of all there is an inline fuse to take care of that. And the fuse didn't blow. But the "intelligent " BMW charger is not supposed to send out any voltage unless it detects a certain draw. Plus the fact that the first thing i did was separate the clips just in case.

No it just had a bad solder connection inside. Man, it basically blew up when i plugged it in. And smoke come out that I shouldn't have been breathing. Electronic stuff last either 20 years or 1 microsecond. I have been trickly charging my car for 2 days now. 2 amps. If i figure correctly thats 48 amps a day or 96 amps in the 2 days. Ill unplug it when I get home. I dont want to boil the battery.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='348589' date='Oct 24 2006, 10:04 PM
Ill let you know when I plug in the new one. Which , by the way, will be in front of the parts guy at my BMW place.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Veight' post='348833' date='Oct 25 2006, 09:48 PM
Ill let you know when I plug in the new one. Which , by the way, will be in front of the parts guy at my BMW place.
Have HIM do it - and look carefully!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='348589' date='Oct 24 2006, 10:04 PM

Well after 2 days of trickle charging at 2 amps, I get into the car and the battery symbol comes on again and the clock and date are blank again. Appointment monday morning. I hope they don't ding or scratch my car.

I think a new battery is in order.

Maybe something else is drawing power, but i know the car goes to sleep because the little orange light next to the shift lever goes out an hour after i get out of the car.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

I had the whole time and date at zero thing happen to me last night. The car had been parked for 45 minutes. A service (Car on a ramp) symbol appeared in the display screen betwen the speedo and tacho and the mention "Reset Date and Time" appeared at the bottom of the Idrive screen. I reset the time and the date miraculously re-appeared. The clock in this car is already the least accurate I have ever encountered, I'll be miffed if I need to reset it frequently.

As to the cause, it could well be that the dark cold night require the lights to be on for longer, as well as the heater and heated seats. These could in turn lead to a progressive discharge of the battery. As plausible as this would seem, my last car, that actually did less miles in a week as it was never used at weekends, also had lights, heaters and heated seats and when I sold it, the battery was 6 years old and had never shown any signs of weakness!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='352698' date='Nov 5 2006, 11:36 PM
I had the whole time and date at zero thing happen to me last night. The car had been parked for 45 minutes. A service (Car on a ramp) symbol appeared in the display screen betwen the speedo and tacho and the mention "Reset Date and Time" appeared at the bottom of the Idrive screen. I reset the time and the date miraculously re-appeared. The clock in this car is already the least accurate I have ever encountered, I'll be miffed if I need to reset it frequently.

As to the cause, it could well be that the dark cold night require the lights to be on for longer, as well as the heater and heated seats. These could in turn lead to a progressive discharge of the battery. As plausible as this would seem, my last car, that actually did less miles in a week as it was never used at weekends, also had lights, heaters and heated seats and when I sold it, the battery was 6 years old and had never shown any signs of weakness!
This is really spooky. I had exactly this for the very first time yesterday. I had just washed my car but not left any electrics on to drain the battery. When I drove it shortly afterwards I got the clock symbol in the display followed by the car on a ramp symbol and so slightly panicked. This then disappeared and then went back to the clock symbol with a whole row of zeros. I then noticed that the time had disappeared replaced by a series of dashes, the date was OK though!

After I stopped I reset the clock through the i-drive and have had no further issues on my drive to work this monring - I'll check it on the way home.

Do you know what the car on ramp symbol has to do with the clock, couldn't find it in the hand book?

Seems strange that we had the very same experience on the same day - was this the first time you had the ramp symbol? We both drive 520d's but I can't see that this is the connection with the error.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had it again this morning (2nd time in a week). And the funny thing was that I drove ~ 80 miles interstate yesterday and the car is garaged.
See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1391

I got this totally pathetic excuse from BMW before that you need to drive X miles for the car in order to not have such issues. I mean, gimme a break, this is not some high power exotic sports car, but a family sedan.

I have to leave my car at the PHL airport a couple of times in the next few weeks - do they expect me to hook up a trickle charger in the parking garage? I am really afraid now that I will come back from one of my trips at like 11 pm and the car won't start.....
Old 11-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by dawi' post='352927' date='Nov 6 2006, 05:20 PM
Do you know what the car on ramp symbol has to do with the clock, couldn't find it in the hand book?
The car on ramp stands for a generic "service required" - what it has to do with the clock, I haven't the foggiest.

Quick Reply: Constantly resetting Clock/Date