E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Constantly resetting Clock/Date

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not drive my 550 often during the week because I take the train to work now. I find that on the weekends that I have to constantly reset my clock and date on the weekends.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I dont understand why BMW doesn't have the clock and date updated by the GPS instead of manually.

Any $100 GPS unit shows the exact time and date from the satellite, and it changes timezone automatically.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by Veight' post='347918' date='Oct 23 2006, 05:03 PM
I do not drive my 550 often during the week because I take the train to work now. I find that on the weekends that I have to constantly reset my clock and date on the weekends.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I dont understand why BMW doesn't have the clock and date updated by the GPS instead of manually.

Any $100 GPS unit shows the exact time and date from the satellite, and it changes timezone automatically.
Well it could be that your battery is empty since you have the same problem as i have http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=32657
Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

How far off is the clock? Is it a few minutes or is it way off?

(I agree that it is silly to not have the clock set by the satellites...even my Honda does that -- and it will even change the time the instant you cross a time-zone!)
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='347926' date='Oct 23 2006, 10:25 AM
How far off is the clock? Is it a few minutes or is it way off?

(I agree that it is silly to not have the clock set by the satellites...even my Honda does that -- and it will even change the time the instant you cross a time-zone!)

The clock is blank. And in the warning area in the dash i get a little picture of a clock.

Yeah BMW really shoud change to the satellite update. It would have to stay manual for cars with no GPS.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

All cars have GPS, some just don't have NAV.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I had this once - but has not happened since.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='347947' date='Oct 23 2006, 11:21 AM
I had this once - but has not happened since.

Well i am going to invest in one of those small BMW trickle chargers and see if that works.

Actually my dealer sold me the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter but to get it to work i had to turn the car on and the lighter circuit would switch on but it stopped charging when the car went to sleep. I have to exchange it for the trickle charger with the clips. Duh. Nowhere in the instructions for this trickle charger with the cigarette adaptor does it indicate that it wont work with the 5 series. Someone at BMW parts needs to think for a minute before they sell these products. Its a BMW specific "intelligent" charger.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

The clock on my E61 is far less precise than the one on my E39 - but we are talking seconds in weeks, rather than complete reset.

However, I did notice that sometimes it takes a minute or so for the clock and date to be displayed in the iDrive, especially if the car has not been driven for a couple of days. Before the clock is back there are dashes like --.-- Perhaps you are just not waiting long enough?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

seems there is something wrong with your batery, the only reason the clock would reset means batery is dead or disconnected. and if thats happening frequently in your case. maybe a defective battery. or the car is drowning the batterys power, perhaps its not going to sleep, check if the car goes to sleep after half an hour...

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='347952' date='Oct 23 2006, 07:36 PM
However, I did notice that sometimes it takes a minute or so for the clock and date to be displayed in the iDrive, especially if the car has not been driven for a couple of days. Before the clock is back there are dashes like --.-- Perhaps you are just not waiting long enough?
yea noticed that... it hapens once the computer starts to boot after the car been asleep. when you unlock the car from a distance while ou walk to the car the computer should be up. but you can really notice it if you unlock the car, and put the key in the ignition right after it wakes up.. i also asume that the situation is a little worse for pro nav cars cause i have business navi and i noticed that...
Old 10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='347952' date='Oct 23 2006, 11:36 AM
The clock on my E61 is far less precise than the one on my E39 - but we are talking seconds in weeks, rather than complete reset.

Do you get the clock symbol in the center of your dash in the warning light area?

Quick Reply: Constantly resetting Clock/Date