E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering a used 535i. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a serious love affair with my 535i, and I'm sure that you'll feel the same way once you get yours. I was crazy about my 335i as well, but it started to feel a bit small to me as the years went by (and to think that I was considering a 135 before the 335 :thumbsdown. Performance-wise, my 535i with the sport pkg doesn't feel much different than my 335 with sport pkg.

Before totally commiting to a 535, however, you may want to look at the new F30 335. They are a little larger now, and they share many of the 5 series bell-n-whistles. Would I dump mine for one, hell no, but I would certainly have to give one a look-see if I were in the market.

As for the paddles...they're nice to have, but don't let it be a deal breaker. I use mine every now and then, but not near enough to say it's a must have. The definate must have (that I was able to carryover from my 335) was the piggyback power booster. MUST-HAVE #1!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Maninder
In regards to a used E60, would someone mind weighing in as to if there is a considerable difference between a 528i E60 and a 535i E60? The car will be for my parents and they aren't automotive enthusiasts so if the difference is negligible, then the less expensive 528i seems to be the better choice, however, I'd rather not skimp out and not buy a car that is drastically better.
They're not enthusiasts? If not, go 528i for sure. Same car, cheaper price, more reliability. My brother-n-law had a 2008 528i, and I attribute my first ride in his as to what made me want to get mine. I just needed more power being the enthusiast that I am. A 528 or 530 will be perfect for them by the sounds of it. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RMcoolX
I have a serious love affair with my 535i, and I'm sure that you'll feel the same way once you get yours. I was crazy about my 335i as well, but it started to feel a bit small to me as the years went by (and to think that I was considering a 135 before the 335 :thumbsdown. Performance-wise, my 535i with the sport pkg doesn't feel much different than my 335 with sport pkg.

Before totally commiting to a 535, however, you may want to look at the new F30 335. They are a little larger now, and they share many of the 5 series bell-n-whistles. Would I dump mine for one, hell no, but I would certainly have to give one a look-see if I were in the market.

As for the paddles...they're nice to have, but don't let it be a deal breaker. I use mine every now and then, but not near enough to say it's a must have. The definate must have (that I was able to carryover from my 335) was the piggyback power booster. MUST-HAVE #1!!!!!!
Thanks for the input. I am eying a few 535's right now. The paddles I am still on the fence about. Coming from a life of manual, I really liked driving the 535i I tested with the ability to shift with the shifter control. I just don't know how much more I would like the paddles. Can anyone else lend their opinion here also? Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Members

Okay so after reading the differences in the Sport package with the steptronic and those with the addition of the sport automatic trans. and paddles, I really would like to find one with the sat/paddles. Although, I plan to go the ecu tune route with a Cobb or JB4. Would these mods negate the differences between the steptronic and the SAT and allow me the same functionality once installed or will there still be some sport benefit to having the SAT addition? I would really like to know, as I may make an offer today!

Thanks all!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

The 535i really rocks my world. I've had it for 30 months and still love it as much today as day one. In fact, all the mods put into and the body shine from amature detailing brings out more deep colors. Car just gets better over time. Here in LA, there's just not that much open road for sport or paddle shifting. You punch it and it's 60 in 5 secs, you punch a bit more and you're at 85 on the freeway. I dont even get into sports mode much daily. Having a history and the tendency to upgrade to newer models, I am still waiting for the day to come to desire the F10, but that day hasn't come. The Chris Bangle controversal styiling being an 8 year old car, it still turns so many heads with the right mods. Loving it!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ohdoom
Okay so after reading the differences in the Sport package with the steptronic and those with the addition of the sport automatic trans. and paddles, I really would like to find one with the sat/paddles. Although, I plan to go the ecu tune route with a Cobb or JB4. Would these mods negate the differences between the steptronic and the SAT and allow me the same functionality once installed or will there still be some sport benefit to having the SAT addition? I would really like to know, as I may make an offer today!

Thanks all!
Any tune to an x35i will have a serious sport benefit to the SAT addition, as I'm so reminded everytime I push "Sport" button. Sport mode helps to keep you in that "sweet spot" rpm range, which in turn keeps the turbos spooled and ready to provide instant boost. The only way that you can get into that sweet spot 'almost' as quick will be to hit the paddles or manually shift the auto...key word being 'almost"!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by G530
The 535i really rocks my world. I've had it for 30 months and still love it as much today as day one. In fact, all the mods put into and the body shine from amature detailing brings out more deep colors. Car just gets better over time. Here in LA, there's just not that much open road for sport or paddle shifting. You punch it and it's 60 in 5 secs, you punch a bit more and you're at 85 on the freeway. I dont even get into sports mode much daily. Having a history and the tendency to upgrade to newer models, I am still waiting for the day to come to desire the F10, but that day hasn't come. The Chris Bangle controversal styiling being an 8 year old car, it still turns so many heads with the right mods. Loving it!
+100000000!!!

The two x35i's I've owned is what has now made me a BMW fan and owner for life if I'm so blessed financially. Like you, I face lots of rush hour traffic in Houston so I don't get to use the paddles or sport mode as much as I would like, but it's nice to know it's there. I went to my dealer to buy the new F10 in May 2010, was under-impressed at the time, and instead walked away with my deeply discounted model closeout E60. I was worried that I would come to regret this decision as the F10's hit the streets, but so far I have not...and actually a long way from it. I remember being one who mocked the Bangle design, but once the kits came out, I've been an E60 luva ever since.