E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 series beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I am new to the forum and about to purchase a 2005 530 se. Is there any pointers what to look out for I'm viewing.
Any advice would be a great help

Many thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Make sure the iDrive software is up to date,
Make sure the automatic transmission software has been updated,
Make sure the auto transmission doesn't jerk when it changes from 2 > 1 when coming to a standstill; use manual mode of autobox and check all gear changes are silky smooth
Check via the secret OBC Menu that the coolant gets up to temperature within about 2 miles (80-90ish degrees, CAN PETROL OWNERS CONFIRM?) if not, the thermostat(s) need changing
Check ALL electrics,
Ask for latest maps DVD if going car for widescreen satnav,
Check the check control messages on the iDrive,
Check service status on iDrive,
Put hand in front of all PDC sensors to check they're working,
Check that you're not running the original battery that came with the car, if you are it's about to die,
Check that both remote controls work,

Some (mostly American I think) petrol engines have oil leaks from some gaskets,
Some (again American I think) have HPFP issues (common issue)
(I should clarify, by American, I mean their big petrol engined e60s, like the twin turbo 535, 545, 550 etc. This is not a definitive list, other petrol engines might be affected as well)

In my opinion, the steering wheel angle sensor seems like a common part to fail as well, but it's wear seems mileage related. There have been reports that blowing the dust off of it helps to some degree. Usually the first error message related to a faulty sensor is
"Drive Control System Malfunction!. Drive Moderately" and the traction control system light will switch on (indicating that it's completely switched OFF, so drive carefully!!)

FOR DIESEL OWNERS:
Make sure swirl flaps are/have been removed from pre-LCI cars,
Check operating temperature of coolant stays at a minimum of 90c, (should get up to temperature within about 6 miles @ 30mph), else EGR and Main thermostat probably need changing,
DPF's usually have a life of 120,000 miles, check how many miles this has left on the iDrive, they cost £1500 to replace, although e60 member legend Anzafin on here has written great cleaning instructions which seem eliminate the need to replace this.
Check exhaust manifold for cracks/open bonnet and check for exhaust smell. Common problem this.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

What is the latest iDrive version for the 545?

Mine says 2006.

Thanks