E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Considering a 545i...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have been looking for my next car for a while. I was originally looking for a E46 M3 but haven't been able to find anything I've really liked and I've become frustrated to the point of considering other options; I've been seriously looking for well over 4 months now and have watched the market on them for about a year... So now I am considering a E90 330i 6MT and recently started to also look at some 545is. Are there any common or major issues with these cars? I've heard some "bad" things about the car just being poorly built overall from some BMW people (tech, service advisers, etc), but I just wanted to get owners' opinions on that as well. So if there are any issues, things to look for, and useful threads here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by E60545i?' post='662659' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:15 AM
So I have been looking for my next car for a while. I was originally looking for a E46 M3 but haven't been able to find anything I've really liked and I've become frustrated to the point of considering other options; I've been seriously looking for well over 4 months now and have watched the market on them for about a year... So now I am considering a E90 330i 6MT and recently started to also look at some 545is. Are there any common or major issues with these cars? I've heard some "bad" things about the car just being poorly built overall from some BMW people (tech, service advisers, etc), but I just wanted to get owners' opinions on that as well. So if there are any issues, things to look for, and useful threads here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I haven't had any problems with mine *knocks on wood*. 04 545i smg. I just threw a code yesterday for the increased emissions but I think mine was because the gas cap wasn't on tight. When I got gas the other day for the first time, it topped off and overflowed which was weird but I didn't think anything of it. I didn't want to stick my hand all in there and touch the excess gas so I don't think I really tighten the gas cap.

Other than that, nothing major. I had a loose fog light, software lag on the navigation/idrive.

Been thinking about selling my car though in exchange for a Jeep or Honda Pilot.. Lifestyle is changing and I don't think I'll be able to swing the 5 much longer.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do search you'll see alot of info. on buying a 545i.

Basically there really isn't one thing that stands out. Most issues where resolved with software updates.

Reason why some long time BMW owners and techs don't like the "bangle design" era (guess you could call it that) is these cars have become very complex with heavy computer use and sensors. So the days of DIY's are vanishing quickly. So it has more to with that side of it then an actual problem side. But being that they're much more sensor and computer oriented I'd never own one without a warranty. Many repairs require software resets and the dealership is the only one that can do it. I highly recommend buying any used BMW with the CPO warranty. But you can still do your basics on these cars with no problem (ie: oil change, spark plugs, etc.).

545i is really a nice ride. Tons of speed and you can still carry 5 people comfortable. Really handles tight with the Sport package. Plus the 545i actually gets pretty damn good gas mileage. You should expect 27+ MPG on the HWY.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='662730' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:47 PM
545i is really a nice ride. Tons of speed and you can still carry 5 people comfortable. Really handles tight with the Sport package. Plus the 545i actually gets pretty damn good gas mileage. You should expect 27+ MPG on the HWY.
+1
I have 57,000 miles on mine and have had no problems.
A six speed manual transmission, a V8 and plenty of room....and VVVVRRRRROOOMM
Good luck with your search.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8' post='662700
I highly recommend buying any used BMW with the CPO warranty. But you can still do your basics on these cars with no problem (ie: oil change, spark plugs, etc.).

Yes, I am definitely looking to go to CPO route or buy from private party with extended warranty with either an E90 or E60. That looks like really good MPG, what do you get mixed and in the city? My commute does not offer me the luxury of normal freeway/highway speeds unfortunately...

I have a feeling that finding a 6MT 545i is going to be at least, if not harder, then trying to find a E90 330i 6MT...
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
AlB
Senior Members

I have a feeling that finding a 6MT 545i is going to be at least, if not harder, then trying to find a E90 330i 6MT...
[/quote]

I have an extremely nice 07 550i 6 speed manual for sale at a very fair price. It has 23,500 miles and original warranty through 3/29/2010. Let me know if you have any interest and I will furnish deets.

Al
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlB' post='666529' date='Sep 10 2008, 05:16 PM

I have an extremely nice 07 550i 6 speed manual for sale at a very fair price. It has 23,500 miles and original warranty through 3/29/2010. Let me know if you have any interest and I will furnish deets.

Al
I think you PM'd me last week, right? Sorry I didnt reply - been really busy since last posting this. I am looking for something local, something I can see in person and drive without having to make too great of a trip. Thanks anyway though.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

No major problems with mine so far.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='662730' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:47 PM
+1.

Although I dont get 27+ mpg on the HWY (heavy foot, I guess), I do think the car is the perfect blend of performance, style, sophistication and handling.

I dont know of any common issues. My only advice is that I think sport package is a must have...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Members

I've owned my 545 for three months and in that time I've had the active steering module fail, ECO valve fail, clutch hydraulic line fail, clutch master cylinder replaced, battery replaced, and an intermittant check engine light that dealer hasn't been able to fix. In total, EIGHT trips to the dealer and scheduled for visit #9 next week. I've gotten BMWNA involved and there seems to be a concerted effort to fix the CE problem but so far to no avail. Great car when it works but the frustration level and lack of confidence in the car is off the chart! THANK GOD for the CPO...with the service records the car racked up over the past few months, I don't think I could sell it so looks like I'm in it for lthe long haul. If this continues much longer, I suspect I'll have to add lawer fees to the list of woes.

Quick Reply: Considering a 545i...