E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about Diesel Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='364161' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:13 PM
If you can afford to buy a 530d (and run an X5), you can afford 35mpg!

ABC

By worrying about 35mpg allows me to afford the indulgence, remember the old saying ?worry about the pennies and the pounds look after themselves?.
I know I should keep it in perspective and keep reminding myself of the 10mpg I used to get from one of my Jags!!.............. Gordon Brown (bless him) has just cost me another 1.5p per litre he must have read my posting and wants to make it worse for me.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364167' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:26 PM
By worrying about 35mpg allows me to afford the indulgence, remember the old saying ?worry about the pennies and the pounds look after themselves?.
I know I should keep it in perspective and keep reminding myself of the 10mpg I used to get from one of my Jags!!.............. Gordon Brown (bless him) has just cost me another 1.5p per litre he must have read my posting and wants to make it worse for me.
Actually you say you're worrying about 37mpg.

Which is better than spec.

ABC
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='364170' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:32 PM
Actually you say you're worrying about 37mpg.

Which is better than spec.

ABC
Picking up your earlier point the official extra urban is stated as 46.3/44.1 and I am getting 38mpg after resetting the OBC, that?s my main issue I agree the urban is there or thereabouts.

The specs are as follows:

X5 3.0d Sport, 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats.

530d Sport, 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack),Hi-Fi Upgrade, Bi- Xenon?s, Adaptive Headlights, Headlight Washers, Folding Mirrors, Rear Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone.

Which one do prefer?

The 5 Series, it makes the X5 feel very dated !
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364176' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:46 PM
Picking up your earlier point the official extra urban is stated as 46.3/44.1 and I am getting 38mpg after resetting the OBC, that?s my main issue I agree the urban is there or thereabouts.

Yes I was referring to the 36.7mpg combined, sorry.

BUT I can't imagine ANYONE driving anything like the "extra urban cycle" (which IMMEDIATELY follows the Urban!

The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).
So, if your "combined" fuel economy (which you don't seem to have declared) is more than say 5% off 36.7 mpg then you may, possibly, have the slightest consideration towards your costs!

ABC
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Isn't it funny how owning a diesel can make you obsessed with fuel economy

There is always the challenge to see how economical the car can become. It's fun to boast to friends about how many miles/km you got out of a tank.

It's become like a computer game.
I find myself regularly studying the OBC and I reset my trip counter on every fill. On one trip I managed to squeeze over 1,200kms out of a fill once and was quite pleased myself. The little l/100km under the rev counter can become an obsession too and you find yourself adapting your driving to keep the little needle down.

ABC is correct, people who can afford diesel BMWs can well afford to pay for the fuel but once you go down the diesel route the challenge to have the best economy is there. With a petrol car, you know the economy is probably crap anyway so there's no point in worrying about it.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='364195' date='Dec 6 2006, 03:32 PM
Isn't it funny how owning a diesel can make you obsessed with fuel economy....With a petrol car, you know the economy is probably crap anyway so there's no point in worrying about it.
The 535d is the exception to the rule.

ABC
Old 12-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Those seem like very good figures for the X5 and relatively poor for the 5er. If the driving style is genuinely the same with the two vehicles then I would get the 5er checked out by the dealer, there are frequent cases of extremely poor fuel consumption with both the 2.5 and 3.0 litre engines. A similar problem manifests its-self with the 2.0 litre with inconsistant running in the bottom half of the rev range. I believe it is linked to the Exaust Gas Recirculation valve and that a software update will be available next year. The problem is less obvious in cooler (<10C) weather.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='364330' date='Dec 7 2006, 12:05 AM
Those seem... ...relatively poor for the 5er.
But far from ABSOLUTELY poor.

No-one can create an "extra urban" run and the figure given is in BETTER THAN of the UK Government's "combined" figure.

As a free-standing measure this 530d's fuel efficiency is spot on.

ABC
Old 12-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Members

I have had two 530d's, one a 2003 218bhp one, and one a 2006 231bhp one. Despite the claims for the new engine, I have found it incapable of matching the previous engines economy. As I have only done 8000 miles so far, I was putting it down to just being tight still, but at 80mph on a motorway the fuel meter on the old car would sit with the cruise control on at 50+mpg. The newer car sits at about 45mpg. I was able once with the old car to do 680 miles on a tank, I have never got more than 550 in this one, but 500 is far more common.

If your X5 has the 218Bhp engine, and your E61 the 231Bhp engine, I would think its just the case that the engine is not as efficient in real world driving.

Just my opinion !!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60_530D' post='364527' date='Dec 7 2006, 03:08 PM
I have had two 530d's, one a 2003 218bhp one, and one a 2006 231bhp one. Despite the claims for the new engine, I have found it incapable of matching the previous engines economy. As I have only done 8000 miles so far, I was putting it down to just being tight still, but at 80mph on a motorway the fuel meter on the old car would sit with the cruise control on at 50+mpg. The newer car sits at about 45mpg. I was able once with the old car to do 680 miles on a tank, I have never got more than 550 in this one, but 500 is far more common.

If your X5 has the 218Bhp engine, and your E61 the 231Bhp engine, I would think its just the case that the engine is not as efficient in real world driving.

Just my opinion !!
Purely from a naivety perspective I would expect to get poorer consumption with the "more powerful" engine.

ABC

Quick Reply: Confused about Diesel Fuel Consumption