E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about Diesel Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Hi, I have recently joined this very interesting site and have already gained some very interesting information.

I would like some help with the following.........................Currently I have two BMW?s an X5 3.0d Sport (facelift) and a 5 Series 530d Sport (E61). The X5 is returning 25 mpg (urban) and 38 mpg (extra urban) all short runs in the urban cycle. The 5 series is giving me 24 mpg (urban) and 37 mpg (extra urban) I have checked the settings and it is UK gallons, tyre pressures are OK, both sets of figures are for the same type of journeys and driving styles (sad but sensible too many police cameras where I live!!!).

Why would a car that s much heavier return better consumption?

Why are the fuel returns of the 5 Series so far away from the manufacturers figures?

Is there a logical solution?

Thanks Bryan
Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364116' date='Dec 6 2006, 05:39 AM
Hi, I have recently joined this very interesting site and have already gained some very interesting information.

I would like some help with the following.........................Currently I have two BMW?s an X5 3.0d Sport (facelift) and a 5 Series 530d Sport (E61). The X5 is returning 25 mpg (urban) and 38 mpg (extra urban) all short runs in the urban cycle. The 5 series is giving me 24 mpg (urban) and 37 mpg (extra urban) I have checked the settings and it is UK gallons, tyre pressures are OK, both sets of figures are for the same type of journeys and driving styles (sad but sensible too many police cameras where I live!!!).

Why would a car that s much heavier return better consumption?

Why are the fuel returns of the 5 Series so far away from the manufacturers figures?

Is there a logical solution?

Thanks Bryan
Hi Bryan

Are the engines exactly the same (there are different iterations of the 3.0d) - are both cars automatic, and again do they have the same iteration of the gearbox?

It's only 1mpg anyway
Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364116' date='Dec 6 2006, 09:39 AM
The urban cycle is a cold start followed by "a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km)."

The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).
ABC
Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Auto Saloon, Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights, Active Steering, Comfort seats, Bluetooth, Superchipped, extended leather

Do both vehicles have a 'standard' wheel/tyre package (same rolling circumference)? This would corrupt the MPG figure if the E61 had a larger rolling circumference or the X5 smaller?

Is the E61 'fully run in'?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

...plus, the OBC reading is not necessarily correct for either or both vehicles (or wrong the same way). Try brim-to-brim fill up divided by actual mileage if possible; 2-4% error is easily within tolerance of my OBC when measured against "real" consumption.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by shiny' post='364124' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Bryan

Are the engines exactly the same (there are different iterations of the 3.0d) - are both cars automatic, and again do they have the same iteration of the gearbox?

It's only 1mpg anyway
I believe the engines are the same and both cars are 6 speed auto. The X5 is 2004 (facelift) and the 5 series is 2005.
I know what you mean about 1 mpg but I had hoped for far better mpg from the 5 series, as it was part of the reason for buying the car.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364159' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:09 PM
I believe the engines are the same and both cars are 6 speed auto. The X5 is 2004 (facelift) and the 5 series is 2005.
I know what you mean about 1 mpg but I had hoped for far better mpg from the 5 series, as it was part of the reason for buying the car.
If you can afford to buy a 530d (and run an X5), you can afford 35mpg!

ABC
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by StuB' post='364132' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:34 AM
Do both vehicles have a 'standard' wheel/tyre package (same rolling circumference)? This would corrupt the MPG figure if the E61 had a larger rolling circumference or the X5 smaller?

Is the E61 'fully run in'?
Both cars have the standard wheel / tyre configs (not sure about rolling circumference). The E61 is 18".

Yes, the cars are both fully run and recently serviced, the E61 has done 14,000 miles and the X5 has done 28,000
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='364149' date='Dec 6 2006, 01:26 PM
...plus, the OBC reading is not necessarily correct for either or both vehicles (or wrong the same way). Try brim-to-brim fill up divided by actual mileage if possible; 2-4% error is easily within tolerance of my OBC when measured against "real" consumption.
Thanks,I will try this, I work in IT and know how "Interesting" some results can be!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='364159' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:09 PM
I believe the engines are the same and both cars are 6 speed auto...and the 5 series is 2005.
What's the problem?

The "government extra urban" figure for the e61 530d MSport Auto is 36.7mpg and you're getting 37!!

ABC

Quick Reply: Confused about Diesel Fuel Consumption