E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensaton/Moisture Out of Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

Yesterday, I made a B&B Exhaut movie/sound clip. It is linked in my sig. You can't view it today because "the" site is mega down. But, for the first time in my life, as far as I recall, I noticed condensation forming on my exhaust tips and evaporating--with some dripping out of the tips. If not from condensation, the moisture was coming from somewhere internal. You can see some of the evaporation/dripping on the movie/sound clip. Why would this phenomenon be occurring? Broken car? Fifty degree temperature? Type of gasoline--bad or otherwise? Car drank too much water? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='207092' date='Dec 4 2005, 04:43 PM
Hi Friends:

Yesterday, I made a B&B Exhaut movie/sound clip. It is linked in my sig. You can't view it today because "the" site is mega down. But, for the first time in my life, as far as I recall, I noticed condensation forming on my exhaust tips and evaporating--with some dripping out of the tips. If not from condensation, the moisture was coming from somewhere internal. You can see some of the evaporation/dripping on the movie/sound clip. Why would this phenomenon be occurring? Broken car? Fifty degree temperature? Type of gasoline--bad or otherwise? Car drank too much water? Thanks in advance.
VNOD,
I'm going to guess it was atmospheric conditions and plain old condensation. It certainly wasn't anything to do with your new exhaust.

I have noticed that my tips are rather black, as if it were running rich. Anyone else notice this carbon?

Ray Hull
Old 12-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Yeah.. but it's all over the car, and I usually blame it on dirty autumn/winter roads.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207119
Hi Friends:

VNOD,
I'm going to guess it was atmospheric conditions and plain old condensation. It certainly wasn't anything to do with your new exhaust.

I have noticed that my tips are rather black, as if it were running rich. Anyone else notice this carbon?

Ray Hull
[/quote]Thanks Ray. The exhaust has been on for some months now so why just now? I have a little carbon build up, but not much. Anyone else have ideas.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Yes, condensation is the reason. I've seen it in all my Hondas, and in the GM cars my parents had when I was a kid. This occurs mainly when the engine is cold and outdoor temps are also cold. Looks odd to see water leak out, but it's actually normal. It's mainly due to the "maze" of chambers in the muffler body that slowly heat up as a car warms up. The numerous twists and turns in the muffler (to decrease exhaust noise) is the perfect place for condensation to form, but as the car heats up and the car is driven, the condensation will either evaporate or be expelled out the tailpipes. I wouldn't worry about this one bit. Your exhaust system is actually doing its job correctly!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='207247' date='Dec 4 2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, condensation is the reason. I've seen it in all my Hondas, and in the GM cars my parents had when I was a kid. This occurs mainly when the engine is cold and outdoor temps are also cold. Looks odd to see water leak out, but it's actually normal. It's mainly due to the "maze" of chambers in the muffler body that slowly heat up as a car warms up. The numerous twists and turns in the muffler (to decrease exhaust noise) is the perfect place for condensation to form, but as the car heats up and the car is driven, the condensation will either evaporate or be expelled out the tailpipes. I wouldn't worry about this one bit. Your exhaust system is actually doing its job correctly!
Thanks much Roleez. I appreciate the input. The car has seemed perfect so I really thought all was OK, but it's good to have confirmation.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
JDN
Contributors

Happened in my videos when firing up the cold 545.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

We see a lot of that here in NE Ohio becasue of our stellar weather - when you get big temperature changes over a very short period of time water will condense inside the exhaust pipes. Took my first car years ago to the dealer for this and they said it was normal. There is a downside though - if the exhause is not stainless steel and the car is not driven frequently it can rust from the inside.
Do we have stainless pipes on our cars?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='207290' date='Dec 5 2005, 12:33 AM
We see a lot of that here in NE Ohio becasue of our stellar weather - when you get big temperature changes over a very short period of time water will condense inside the exhaust pipes. Took my first car years ago to the dealer for this and they said it was normal. There is a downside though - if the exhause is not stainless steel and the car is not driven frequently it can rust from the inside.
Do we have stainless pipes on our cars?
Thanks dgjk. The temperature swings in the desert are pretty extreme overnight. Lately, it has been 70's to maybe 40's and back. What you and Roleez say undoutedly explains what's up.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' post='207250' date='Dec 4 2005, 09:51 PM
Happened in my videos when firing up the cold 545.
Thanks JDN. I'll look at your videos.