E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Completely Stumped on this Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default Completely Stumped on this Vibration

I've searched through the hundreds of threads across this and our neighbor BMW websites and have yet to find a solution.

2006 530i, N52

Symptoms: Steering wheel shaking 50-75mph, gone above 75+.

Treatments so far: New tires, new style 138 OEM wheels, alignment, roadforce wheel balancing, new front lower control arms, rotated tires. All other tie-rods, control arms, and bushings have been inspected and are still good/without play.

As a side note, there is vibration now from the steering wheel when braking and I already know this is from the rotors having uneven deposits and/or are warped. Regardless, my initial issue started way before the rotors became a problem.

However, one mechanic is saying that the high speed vibrations are due to the rotors coming in contact with the brakes. Do you think this is plausable? I have had the rotors cut before and the braking vibration stopped, but the high speed vibrations persisted.

Are there any other components to investigate?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

You may already know - there are two parts to tire balancing Static and dynamic. Static is rotational and dynamic is for lack of a term - across the tire. If the tire is wobbling in to out or out to in? At certain speeds you will feel it . For some reason that usually occurs at around 42 to 45 MPH goes away then re appears around 70.

Just Sayin!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

It might also be the lower control arms. BMW called them "tension struts". The lower ones have a bushing that looks like hard rubber, but it really liquid filled. There isn't much liquid inside them, but they can rupture. Both my right and left ones have leaked. You can't tell by looking at mine that they have ruptured. On my painted garage floor it looks like black oil and when it dries it really doesn't want to come off, even with brake clean. I don't have the vibration you are taking about, but that is another possibility.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530 xi
Default Vibration

I have a 530xi and had a similar issue, though u are not AWD, here is what I found,

Same issue

Axle.

Lift car off the floor, put car in drive and go fwd at about 5mph, have someone do this for you, while you look at axles, make sure they are not moving up and down. That was my issue and it was a easy fix.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530 xi

Do u feel a wooble? Left to right? If so check it axles as stated before
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by miguelbmw530xi
Do u feel a wooble? Left to right? If so check it axles as stated before
What does this mean on a rear wheel drive car for a steering wheel shaking (front wheels related)?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a constant vibration when I switched from Mich to Conti and tire kingdon installed and ballance. Three different strores, five different times blancing and I always had the vibration. Call Conti and they asked that I take it to another servicve location. I did and this place must have performed the work correctly. After this, all was ok. Nto sure why they were different but they were. They did mention that you have to kow what you are doing...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I had a constant vibration when I switched from Mich to Conti and tire kingdon installed and ballance. Three different strores, five different times blancing and I always had the vibration. Call Conti and they asked that I take it to another servicve location. I did and this place must have performed the work correctly. After this, all was ok. Nto sure why they were different but they were. They did mention that you have to kow what you are doing...
This is another real possibility. Two experiences over the years I'd like to share. Had a Mercedes in the family that only was right after the tires were balanced on the car. I forget what it is called, but the tires are actually spin balanced on the wheel. Not sure if they still do that. Another experience at the old NTW. I was watching the guy balance my tires. He put the tire on the balance machine and it would spin around and he'd put on a weight. Then he'd spin it again and take the weight off he just put on (!!!) and put another one on in the new place. He kept doing this like 5 times. He clearly didn't know what he was doing. He spoke no English. I went up to him when he was about to remove the previous weight and told him no and told/motioned him to put on the 2nd weight. Then he pushed the button again and it was balanced. He turned to me and smiled. Bottom line -- there are a lot of people out there that have no training.