E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012 | 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. The cabling from the plug to the balasts is clear, so he spliced the cabl;es to bypass the ballasts and connected them direct. So now I have all headlight functions except AE. I hear you on the MOST. I'd seen the same thing with a MOST optical test. It either starts at the CD-Changer or HUD, both of which I haven't sourced yet.
Old 02-26-2012 | 09:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by korrosive
Correct. The cabling from the plug to the balasts is clear, so he spliced the cabl;es to bypass the ballasts and connected them direct. So now I have all headlight functions except AE. I hear you on the MOST. I'd seen the same thing with a MOST optical test. It either starts at the CD-Changer or HUD, both of which I haven't sourced yet.
Any progress on the wiper? I was thinking about trying that splice thing for the headlights until I get around to buying ballast, igniters whatever it may need, but it sounds too complicated. The dealer didn't say it need ballast just the stepper controllers so I could get lucky with replacing the bulbs. Anyway, let me know if you made any progress.
Old 02-27-2012 | 07:12 AM
Contributors

This weekend I did make some progress. I'd found a 545i at a local junkyard that I was able to get a number of parts off of. I got the wiper motor, AC head unit, iDrive screen and satellite module. This weekend I went to install the wiper motor, and we realized the old motor was not connected I reconnected the old motor an lo and behold the thing works just fine. So now I'll need to take the replacement wiper motor back and probably eat a $20 restocking fee. I have no idea why anyone would unplug the motor

The AC head-unit does light up and the controls respond, but I'm not getting anything coming through the vents, so this probably requires the blower motor to be replaced. I plugged the satellite module, and for the first time, I did see the red flashing out of one of the disconnected MOST interface points. So I'm waiting to get a replacement CCC, Cd Changer, HUD and L7 Amp that are all on order. Once those are all plugged in, I'm hoping I get something on my iDrive screen. Still haven't coded anything. I bought a used laptop that finally seems to have gotten through some of the process.
Old 03-04-2012 | 07:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

I tried removing the steering wheel to replace the column switch but I can't get that bolt to move. Did you have any problem with that? The air bag is out, I just can't get that center bolt to turn and it is starting to really wear down. I was thinking about trying an impact wrench but I am scared it may break it.
Old 03-04-2012 | 08:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I tried removing the steering wheel to replace the column switch but I can't get that bolt to move. Did you have any problem with that? The air bag is out, I just can't get that center bolt to turn and it is starting to really wear down. I was thinking about trying an impact wrench but I am scared it may break it.
the bolt is wearing down?? what are you using?
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

A 15mm fits perfectly but it slips when you put too much pressure on it because you have to use an extension.
Old 03-05-2012 | 09:36 AM
Contributors

Hmmmm, I quite can't recall what we used, but I'll take another look. Wrench should still have the thing on it.

I did drive the car to work today, so my first actual long range driving experience, and I noticed it has a knocking sound when in 1st and 2nd gear. Short search on-line, and it appears to be either the UV joint, transmission, or transfer case. I'll take it to a mechanic, because whatever it is, it's beyond my DYI capacity

It also grinds at times switching to 2nd gear, so I think it might be a broken tranny tooth.

I go to get it titled today
Old 03-05-2012 | 12:33 PM
Contributors

I did a really dumb thing today The DMV lady asked if I got a base model or the fancy one. And as the words were coming out of my mouth saying fancy I realized I just royally f'ed myself

Simple words that cost the pocket money . I tried to ask her what terms specifically the screen was saying so that I could try to retract, but she said that her options say the exact same thing and the only difference is the cost.

Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012 | 05:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by korrosive
I did a really dumb thing today The DMV lady asked if I got a base model or the fancy one. And as the words were coming out of my mouth saying fancy I realized I just royally f'ed myself

Simple words that cost the pocket money . I tried to ask her what terms specifically the screen was saying so that I could try to retract, but she said that her options say the exact same thing and the only difference is the cost.

Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!!
I thought you just pay taxes from the sale price, at least that is how they do it in Ohio, then a set price for tags. I feel you though, I know you already spent a truck load. I set out to change the blower motor today, it is a big job, only got half way.
Old 03-05-2012 | 05:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I thought you just pay taxes from the sale price, at least that is how they do it in Ohio, then a set price for tags. I feel you though, I know you already spent a truck load. I set out to change the blower motor today, it is a big job, only got half way.
Yeah some states have it much better than others. In Nebraska, you pay sales tax based on the sale price of the vehicle, but in addition to that you pay registration yearly and that's based on a formula that they have on vehicles. So I save on the sales tax, but the yearly registration is based on their own formula. On any vehicle, the total equates to about 10% of going price of vehicle with 7% going towards the Sales tax and 3% going to the registration - at least this is true for used cars as I've never purchased new, but I gotta believe it's pretty much the same.

As far as the blower motor, you're not kidding. I finally got the center console out, and yet to tackle the blower motor. Part of me just wants to replace the carpet and close it back up so I can start enjoying it, but if I don't do it now, winter will be back with us and I wouldn't have done it

How did you fair with your search for headlights? What do you have outstanding on your ride?

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild