E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012 | 02:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Yup, that wire has nothing to do with anything your car is experiencing now... I believe its for shipping the car only.
Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2012 | 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Any ideas?
Ideas... on why the car went dead??? I am sorry to say, but after going through the water damage thing, you are trying to chase down a needle in a haystack... all it takes is one drop of water in a connection to send the entire system into a tail spin. That wiring harness, if not dry, will give you issues for years. The monitors and sensors if not dry, will fail sporadically as corrosion starts. One day it will work and the next it wont. I think you have to be real systematic about the replacement and/or drying of everything... Its going to be a very frustrating run for you unless you do it right.
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:26 AM
Contributors

Any ideas?
First thing I'd do is take the battery out and take it to an auto parts store. They can run a test on it and make sure that the battery has not been sucked dry. I was able to take the battery out of my E46 and put it in the E60.

I agree the wire has nothing to do with it, as I yanked my back seats out pretty haphazardly and it still works fine. How are you jumping the vehicle? With the terminals in the hood or direct to the battery (not recommended as it could cause computer issues). One thing I've noticed over the years is the source vehicle has to have some guts in order for it to be able to jump it. For example a geo metro (extreme example) would not be able to jump the E60.

Originally Posted by jaycal3
If you dont get that carpet and padding up and that wiring harness dry as can be you are just setting yourself up for issues down the road. Corrosion takes time to set in - as does mold and mildew. Everything will look great until you start getting random warnings, errors and christmas tree lights on the dash along with a smell of mold which is a major health hazzard. Not sure the WD40 is gonna cut it. Every major piece of electronics from the battery to the engine runs off that harness - $8k worth of harness!!!! Get the rugs and padding up and out... set up the fans and dehumidifiers...
I completely agree with getting the entire carpet out and trying my best with the wiring harness. Right now I can't get the seats to move and that's why I haven't done it yet :/ Pretty soon I might just cut up the carpet to get what I can off and let the rest dry w/ humidifier and fans. I'm actually trying to get replacement carpet from different sources.
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

I completely agree with getting the entire carpet out and trying my best with the wiring harness. Right now I can't get the seats to move and that's why I haven't done it yet :/ Pretty soon I might just cut up the carpet to get what I can off and let the rest dry w/ humidifier and fans. I'm actually trying to get replacement carpet from different sources.
[/quote]

I have been jumping it with different cars one was a saturn from a passer by the first time and a honda civic the second time and a tow truck the third time all woked fine. The box under the passenger seat is dry I think whoever had it already dried it there are signs of carpet removal. Most of my moisture is in the back area. My seats are moved all the way back so I can get to the front bolt but not the back. It seems there is some fault in the power supply because I went back to the car and it powered up when I opened the door, but went dead again after a minute or two. I usually jump it from the front but i also tried the back yesterday after it wouldn't power up.

DId you recieve any parts yet? I got a BMW TIS yesterday I installed it but didn't find it very user friendly. I also got some headlight bulbs gonna try those, not sure when. A little surprised we haven't got more people chiming in, Jaycal seems to be the only one interested.
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:52 AM
Contributors

I have been jumping it with different cars one was a saturn from a passer by the first time and a honda civic the second time and a tow truck the third time all woked fine. The box under the passenger seat is dry I think whoever had it already dried it there are signs of carpet removal. Most of my moisture is in the back area. My seats are moved all the way back so I can get to the front bolt but not the back. It seems there is some fault in the power supply because I went back to the car and it powered up when I opened the door, but went dead again after a minute or two. I usually jump it from the front but i also tried the back yesterday after it wouldn't power up.

Did you recieve any parts yet? I got a BMW TIS yesterday I installed it but didn't find it very user friendly. I also got some headlight bulbs gonna try those, not sure when. A little surprised we haven't got more people chiming in, Jaycal seems to be the only one interested.
Try getting the battery charged and tested at your local Auto parts store. It is free to do and you can quickly rule out one component in the mix of things and move on to the next. So far I've received an IBOC Tuner and body module (there are actually 2 a KGM and a KBM and I ordered one of them). I need to order another body module, but before I get further into ordering any more parts, I want my OBD coding cable to arrive so that I can get a printout of the actual modules that are dead like you got from the dealership. I just got the alternator replaced yesterday, and at least the vehicle stays running without the battery connected. So now I can drive it to the dealership if needed.

While doing that though, my brother and I were able to find that the fluids were filled with water. Engine oil and power steering. So the next thing I'll be working on is replacing all the fluids (Engine, power steering, brakes, differentials). Still waiting on my Light Control Module and if I can get that in and working I can take it for inspection and get it titled.
Old 02-03-2012 | 11:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Wow, I thought it wouldn't run if there were water in the fluids(engine). How did you find out about the water?
Old 02-03-2012 | 12:15 PM
Contributors

Wow, I thought it wouldn't run if there were water in the fluids(engine). How did you find out about the water?
Complete fluke. When trying to get the alternator replaced, I took out a couple of screws from what my bro explained was the engine oil radiator. I then needed to drive it back into the garage for better lighting. I didn't put the screws back in and drove it in to the garage. There was some fluid all over the engine bay and tons spilled on the floor. The color was nothing identifiable though as it was a milky beige color. Opening the cap for the oil fill and looking in there and there was definitely water (a watery oily mix) instead of oil. Also checked power steering reservoir and it was a similar thing.
Old 02-03-2012 | 03:39 PM
Contributors

Small victory:
I got the LCM today, struggled a bit to find where it went as the connector had been tucked away, but once I figured it out, I plugged it in, turned the car on, and now I have hazards and instrument cluster lights up!! WHile back there I saw a couple of unplugged cables, so now I just wish I had a complete E60 that I could use as a blue print for what the hell my car is missing.

Anyway, after doing all that, the rear view mirror now has something flashing, so the previous owner probably took out the LCM to save on battery since the alternator was out...

Anyway I'm excited about this small victory . For the steering wheel controls, I'm going to start hunting to see what module could be out.
Old 02-03-2012 | 05:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by korrosive
Small victory:
I got the LCM today, struggled a bit to find where it went as the connector had been tucked away, but once I figured it out, I plugged it in, turned the car on, and now I have hazards and instrument cluster lights up!! WHile back there I saw a couple of unplugged cables, so now I just wish I had a complete E60 that I could use as a blue print for what the hell my car is missing.

Anyway, after doing all that, the rear view mirror now has something flashing, so the previous owner probably took out the LCM to save on battery since the alternator was out...

Anyway I'm excited about this small victory . For the steering wheel controls, I'm going to start hunting to see what module could be out.
Every victory counts. Happy for you, where does it go I have one coming but I really don't think it is going to make a difference my hazards already work and also the lights on the door and lights in the interior and foglights and halo. Did you get it coded?
Old 02-05-2012 | 02:22 PM
Contributors

So I had to cut up the front carpet as I'm not making any quick progress in getting the seats to move. I have the fan on it now and will be putting a dehumidifier in there tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild