E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

comfort seat versus sport seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Thanks for the great response and discussion. I think I will get the comfort seats. Sounds like a must. I drive very aggressively and love my e39 sport seats. Passengers have often commented on how comfortable my seats are. I am not sure the sport seat in the 550 would get those comments. I also like to be able to rest my head against the head rest when just cruising down I-20 or the back roads. However, during aggressive driving I do not sit so relaxed that I rest my head against the headrest, I don't think. Too busy leaning into curves. I too prefer all the sport stuff BMW offers, hence the sport package and manual a must (SMG maybe ). The 5 series is a truly amazing people hauler. I can't wait for the 360 hp beast to be unleashed.

Surely the comfort seats would not diminish the driving pleasure or ability to drive my favorite curvy road, huh?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:08 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:54 AM
Surely the comfort seats would not diminish the driving pleasure or ability to drive my favorite curvy road, huh?
[snapback]180887[/snapback]
Believe it or not, I like the sport seats much better than the comfort seats, and also preferred how the sport seats "wrapped around" you...I'm sure this is a religious topic for some (like SMG vs Manual, fog lights , and so on), but I don't use a headrest while driving, and the sport seats provided more support for me, personally. I'd make an extra effort to find a vehicle with Comfort Seats and Sport Seats and maybe take them for an extended drive before you decide...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:08 AM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 7 2005, 09:54 AM']Surely the comfort seats would not diminish the driving pleasure or ability to drive my favorite curvy road, huh?
[snapback]180887[/snapback]
Believe it or not, I like the sport seats much better than the comfort seats, and also preferred how the sport seats "wrapped around" you...I'm sure this is a religious topic for some (like SMG vs Manual, fog lights , and so on), but I don't use a headrest while driving, and the sport seats provided more support for me, personally. I'd make an extra effort to find a vehicle with Comfort Seats and Sport Seats and maybe take them for an extended drive before you decide...
[snapback]180893[/snapback]
[/quote]

This surprises me. I had a Sport 545 as a loaner for 2 weeks when my CCC was backordered. When I got back in my car (comfort seats) I couldn't believe how much better the lateral support was. I felt like I was sliding around in the sport seats. Did you drive a car with comfort seats? Was there something wrong with them?

It may depend on a persons size. I am 6'1 and 185# and where a 44 or 46 suit. The sport seats did NOT hold me as tight as comfort seats.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Where do the "stock" U.S. seats fit, so to speak, in this equation? I have ordered the E61 wagon, for which sport seats do not appear to be an option. The Comfort Seats are, and are described as 20-way with passenger memory, whereas standard seats are 10-way with memory for the driver only. It says standard and Comfort both have 4-way adjustable lumbar support.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Does anybody have a pic of sport seats?
would sport seats be tight for a big build guy?
cuz i am!
m5 seats are sport seats right?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m5lover' date='Oct 7 2005, 01:56 PM
Does anybody have a pic of sport seats?
would sport seats be tight for a big build guy?
cuz i am!? ?
m5 seats are sport seats right?
[snapback]181025[/snapback]
m5 seats are different all together
Old 10-07-2005, 12:18 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Oct 7 2005, 02:36 PM
This surprises me. I had a Sport 545 as a loaner for 2 weeks when my CCC was backordered. When I got back in my car (comfort seats) I couldn't believe how much better the lateral support was. I felt like I was sliding around in the sport seats. Did you drive a car with comfort seats? Was there something wrong with them?

It may depend on a persons size. I am 6'1 and 185# and where a 44 or 46 suit. The sport seats did NOT hold me as tight as comfort seats.
[snapback]181009[/snapback]
I'm about the same size you are (but 1" shorter)...I did drive a car with comfort seats, and while I really did like them, to me, personally, it wasn't worth the extra money. I ended up actually liking the sport seats better, too. Just a difference in personal preference and perhaps body type, I'd imagine...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I sat in a 530 today with sport seats and a 750 with comfort seats. I know the comfort seats may be a bit different on the 750 but they did have the ability to grip your sides and adjust inwards. The difference was in the lateral support on the seat bottom. The sport seat has more. The comfort seats were more comfortable. The sport seat head rest did a better job than I recall supporting my head and as good a job as the comfort seats. The head rest did not pivot forward or backward, just up and down on both seats. Now I am really confused. I think I will get the comfort seats, they were clearly more comfortable switching from one right to the other. But after sitting in the sport and having to wait a while for the 7 series to be unlocked I could not readily tell much difference in comfort.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I realize I'm in a 6er so this may not apply, but my sport seat head rest does rotate forward and can be adjusted to right level with the ears. I did not see anyone address the actual ability of the head rest to move forward / backward in the 5er sport seat. Does it indeed not do that? I'm 6' even and depending on seat back tilt and rotation of headrest, touch, not touch right at base of skull. Total impression is one of tight, comfortable fit, great support in all essential areas including the heavy parts (BUTT joke)
Old 10-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

the "pillow" on the comfort seats look real comfy

i know the right technique is to drive without resting your head on the headrest but darn that "pillow" looks comfy

Quick Reply: comfort seat versus sport seat