E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

comfort seat versus sport seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I have several questions regarding seats. I think I want the comfort seats, but it is an expensive option. I noticed when I test drove a 545 that the headrest was so far back I could not comfortably position the seat where my head would be supported by the head rest- while driving, not sleeping. I think they were sport seats but not sure. I know they were not comfort seats. I do not recall, but I don't think the headrest pivoted forward or backward like the sport seats on my 540 sport seats. They were fixed, except for going up and down.

The comfort seats headrest have a piece that extends forward upon a rear collision to limit whiplash.

1. On comfort seats, can this whiplash extention be manually operated or extended forward or does it only operate during a collision?
2. Do the sport seat headrest pivot forward to support your head while driving?
3. Drivers of sport seats: do you have trouble positioning the headrest to support your head while driving?
4. Do you consider your sport seats to be comfortable, especially on lenghty trips?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

My sport seat headrests have power-up/down and manual tilt forward/backwards. There is no position that provides actual support for your head other than preventing whiplash in an accident.

I do not find my sport seats comfortable. Ingress/egress (that's getting in and out for those of you from Rio Linda) is difficult because of the high bolsters. The seat itself is excellent at holding you in for sporty driving but notl comfortable for long trips. It's not ruining my back but they are not as comfortable by a mile as the seats, for example, in my Range Rover. Those things are like barkaloungers.

I would recommend that before you spend $0.01 on any other option on a 545i besides the sports package, get the comfort seats. I wish I had.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I went to the BMW driver's training course and this is what the instructor told me about the height of the headrest.

"Adjust it so the top part of the headrest is align with your ears, while you drive you are suppose to sit up straight and headrest is just a name, you are not suppose to rest your head on it while driving."

I think he's right about not resting your head on the headrest because Volvo's whiplash protection system tilt your headrest back a bit in case of a collision so your head will not hit the headrest which results in a whiplash.

But the new headrest seems a bit high though, don't know what's up with that.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

I chose the comfort seats after only one session in a 545i w/ sport seats. I agree with others that those seats are fine for aggressive driving, but not particularly comfortable. I was lucky to get to drive a 745i w/ comfort seats and that was it. Much more supple, comfortable, adjustable...and the head rests with those little adjustable pillow pads(can be moved inward at edges cupping the head) were the clincher. Plus, if you do want the head rests closer, you can adjust the upper back portion of the seat which moves them closer. Absolutely IMHO a must have. Consensus on this board is the same. Most dealers do not order their regular stock with comfort seats, hence if you want them, be prepared for the wait Don't order without it. Heres a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails comfort seat versus sport seat-545i_003.jpg  
Old 10-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I can't add much to what the others have said. I love my comfort seats, except that they are heavy. I do what you suggest--tilt the headrest forward enought that I can rest my head. I have made my driving position so comfortable that I would be afraid to drive on the highway at night if even near my bedtime. ~{;^)
Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

you are right - cannot rest head comfortably
wish i had opted for comfort seats
Old 10-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

I don't care, give me the sportiest seats. I need the lateral support and feel quite tensed when driving. (and that's a good thing imo) .
Anyway the confort seats are a must have if you like confort rather than sport. Agree it has alot more electric gizmos and adjusters but i for one, don't need those too much. (headrest up/down electric ?!?!?!) Huh...
If the m5 seats were available for the e60 i would have bought them. It all depends to what do you do mainly with the car, driving style and what do you expect your car to be. If you drive relaxed , very preventive, legally, usually take long journeys...etc get the confort ones or get a merc. D kiddin'
Give me the most hardcore stuff, bmw has to offer (budget limit of course). (engine, seats, suspension, wheels...)
Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Go for the comfort seats, it's very nice on long trips. And if you want you can adjust them so they look en feel like sport seats (by blowing up the bolsters and extending the the support for your legs!). You won't regret it, sport seats are crappy if you compare them to these.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 7 2005, 03:47 AM
I don't care, give me the sportiest seats. I need the lateral support and feel quite tensed when driving. (and that's a good thing imo) .
Anyway the confort seats are a must have if you like confort rather than sport. Agree it has alot more electric gizmos and adjusters but i for one, don't need those too much. (headrest up/down electric ?!?!?!) Huh...
If the m5 seats were available for the e60 i would have bought them. It all depends to what do you do mainly with the car, driving style and what do you expect your car to be. If you drive relaxed , very preventive, legally, usually take long journeys...etc get the confort ones or get a merc. D kiddin'
Give me the most hardcore stuff, bmw has to offer (budget limit of course). (engine, seats, suspension, wheels...)
[snapback]180794[/snapback]
FWIW - comfort seats have more lateral support than sport seats. The back angle forward is actually a fairly aggressive stance. I think the names are not the best chosen. Comfort seats imply some MB type seat. Yes, they are a little softer but the real advantage is adjustability.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Oct 7 2005, 05:32 AM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 7 2005, 03:47 AM']I don't care, give me the sportiest seats. I need the lateral support and feel quite tensed when driving. (and that's a good thing imo) .
[snapback]180794[/snapback]
FWIW - comfort seats have more lateral support than sport seats. The back angle forward is actually a fairly aggressive stance. I think the names are not the best chosen. Comfort seats imply some MB type seat. Yes, they are a little softer but the real advantage is adjustability.
[snapback]180805[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree with the adjustability part. The only thing i like about this part is the adjustability for lateral support. That's all. Imo the confort seats don't have the same lateral agresivensess. And look at the support for the buttom (where you sit). It's like no support if u ask me (80 kilo driver).
Look also on the upper lateral support at the confort seats.(where your ribs would come during hard cornering).
If u ask me the names says it all. CONFORT (full electric adjustments, softer seats, premuim leather (maybe, dunno), extras for confort like the headreast pillow and so on...). That of course doesn't make them bad, as i said...it's just a matter of personal tastes.

Quick Reply: comfort seat versus sport seat