E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort access not so comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport - Visibilty, Media, Logic7, Heated Comfort Seats, too many other extras to list

My comfort access seems to unlock fine with the key anywhere on my person, but whenit comes to locking, it seems like the key needs to be on the side of my body closest to the car, or it doesn't work anymore.

It used to work fine - I thenhad a low battery warning so I changed that for a brand new battery and it still worked just as good as before. Thatw as about 2 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I started noticing this problem so I doubt it could be the battery. I have had my back windows tinted however - could this be the problem - anyone know what type of signal is used for comfort access? Could a tint film interfere?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mobilejo' post='979157' date='Aug 17 2009, 09:44 AM
My comfort access seems to unlock fine with the key anywhere on my person, but whenit comes to locking, it seems like the key needs to be on the side of my body closest to the car, or it doesn't work anymore.

It used to work fine - I thenhad a low battery warning so I changed that for a brand new battery and it still worked just as good as before. Thatw as about 2 weeks ago. About 1 week ago I started noticing this problem so I doubt it could be the battery. I have had my back windows tinted however - could this be the problem - anyone know what type of signal is used for comfort access? Could a tint film interfere?

Thanks
Lately, my key has had to be on the same side of my body to unlock or lock the car. This morning I actually got an error message when I first started the car that looked like a key and a battery symbol. I didn't think anything of it, but now I realize that I think it was telling me that the battery is low in my CA key. So I will use the key in the steering column for a bit and that should recharge it, correct?

I have tinted windows all around, but I don't think that affects it.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I think both of you need less lead in your diets, you are obviously blocking the signal and causing problems.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='979212' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:35 AM
I think both of you need less lead in your diets, you are obviously blocking the signal and causing problems.
Maybe more iron and zinc.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mobilejo' post='979157' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks
Mine works best when I'm not carrying my cell phone. I think the owner's manual discusses signal issues can interfere with the performance of the system.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jherm' post='979183' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:09 AM
Lately, my key has had to be on the same side of my body to unlock or lock the car. This morning I actually got an error message when I first started the car that looked like a key and a battery symbol. I didn't think anything of it, but now I realize that I think it was telling me that the battery is low in my CA key. So I will use the key in the steering column for a bit and that should recharge it, correct?

I have tinted windows all around, but I don't think that affects it.
Upon further investigation, CA fobs do not recharge in the steering column. Instead they have an easily replaceable battery that you should be able to find at a radio shack, etc.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Since the CA antenna is in the rear window, tint could very well be the culprit here...

Take a look here for more info on the antenna location:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;#entry509866
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='979225' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:52 AM
Since the CA antenna is in the rear window, tint could very well be the culprit here...

Take a look here for more info on the antenna location:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;#entry509866

I don't think that's 100% true. I had some probs with CA before I got my windows tinted and since then the problem hasn't gotten worse.

I wouldn't rule out either a weak battery or interference.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pukka' post='979652' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:45 PM
I don't think that's 100% true. I had some probs with CA before I got my windows tinted and since then the problem hasn't gotten worse.

I wouldn't rule out either a weak battery or interference.
I didn't say it couldn't be a battery issue, I was really just answering the OP's question about tint and whether or not it could be causing the problem. Since the OP said he changed the battery and was still having a problem, I'm thinking in his case that the tint may be the culprit here...
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I have the same issue with my CA. Been like this for a while though I have not changed the battery in the key fob yet. The only reason I have not changed is the car unlocks almost 100% of the time upon grabbing a handle. Touching to lock works less than 50% of the time, so I have simply quit trying and now press the button to lock. I assume if the battery were getting weak that I would be having problems with the button as well or the unlock would be equally sporatic. The car is stock, no tint blocking the signal... I'm due for a service in September so I'll mention it to my SA then.

Quick Reply: Comfort access not so comfortable?