E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coding/registering battery help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default coding/registering battery help

yes I searched, couldn't really find my answer so here it goes:

battery took a dive yesterday, the car has only has two batteries in its whole life; the original 110ah FLA from when it was produced, and a 90ah AGM battery that was replaced in 2008. So the car got 8 years from the last battery. I can't complain.

Today I picked up an OEM replacement from the dealer (I have a wholesale account), the 90ah AGM battery that I had in the car has been superceded to a 92ah AGM battery. I installed it today but haven't driven the car yet.

I was going to simply register the battery since I assumed that the dealer did it properly in 2008 when they replaced the 110ah with the 90ah AGM. Before I did that, I thought "eh, let me check the string in CAS to make sure it's right.... IT WASN'T. CAS has the 'klasse_batterie' string set to '110ah', so thanks BMW of Sarasota for not doing it correctly way back in '08.

so my question is, can anyone confirm that I need to change the string in CAS to "90ah_agm", or is it just "90ah"? my other question is I'm pretty sure I need to change the VO for the correct battery type, is the correct string "-A090"?? I know what to do and how to do it, I just need to confirm what those two strings should be.

thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by KyleB
battery took a dive yesterday, the car has only has two batteries in its whole life; the original 110ah FLA from when it was produced, and a 90ah AGM battery that was replaced in 2008. So the car got 8 years from the last battery. I can't complain.

so my question is, can anyone confirm that I need to change the string in CAS to "90ah_agm", or is it just "90ah"? my other question is I'm pretty sure I need to change the VO for the correct battery type, is the correct string "-A090"?? I know what to do and how to do it, I just need to confirm what those two strings should be.

thanks
Since the battery that was put in last, lasted 8 years without it being properly registered, why even bother now? Doesn't seem necessary.
Salut, Bob P.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Since the battery that was put in last, lasted 8 years without it being properly registered, why even bother now?
I appreciate your input. I like to do things the right way and not rely on faith and luck. It is pure happenstance that the battery lasted that long, it spent 8 years getting overcharged.

Can anyone confirm that those strings are correct? Last night I did the following:

-changed +B110 to +A090 in the VO
-coded "klasse_batterie" from "110ah" to "90ah_agm" in CAS module
-registered battery using INPA

I reread CAS, I can see the new string for battery class took. When i look at values in INPA, battery capacity is shown as 91ah, which is correct (battery is 92ah). The one thing I didn't do is change the battery class string in LMA.

anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

I don't know that it is necessary to update LMA module. The only other thing I would do is ensure the new AGM battery is completely charged before you do the final registration. When the battery is registered, the stored energy history is deleted. This allows the IBS to pickup the current state of charge.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
I don't know that it is necessary to update LMA module. The only other thing I would do is ensure the new AGM battery is completely charged before you do the final registration. When the battery is registered, the stored energy history is deleted. This allows the IBS to pickup the current state of charge.
OK thanks for the input! I didn't think coding LMA was necessary either, that's why I didn't bother. CAS is the important one.

Battery was fully charged, it was brand new from the dealer and they had just had it dropped off by Exide the day before. I didn't drive the car at all before coding/registering.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:18 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

I remember seeing in ISTA/P the option of encoding battery retrofits. There were agm version and non agm version so pretty sure you need to code in the AGM option, which you did.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by KyleB
OK thanks for the input! I didn't think coding LMA was necessary either, that's why I didn't bother. CAS is the important one.

Battery was fully charged, it was brand new from the dealer and they had just had it dropped off by Exide the day before. I didn't drive the car at all before coding/registering.
Since I am about to,replace my own AGM battery came across your post wrt CAS and LMA, it's been awhile but IIRC when you code CAS you automatically code the LMA as the backup in NCS so no need to manually also code LMA.

Also your experience will make me verify my dealer did the change toAGM properly 6 yrs ago with the PO. Of my car....