E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cnt decide 535i or 550i??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by mookish
Or just get a 550i and win every time!
Unless the 535i has a cheap tuner plugged in, then you lose every time! Seriously though, the times are close enough between the 535/545/550 that driver ability will probably be the biggest factor.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by ProMed
Unless the 535i has a cheap tuner plugged in, then you lose every time! Seriously though, the times are close enough between the 535/545/550 that driver ability will probably be the biggest factor.
When having these discussions, it's assumed that all cars are stock and drivers and conditions are equal. Because if you're gonna throw in a modded 535, may as well consider the 550 modded also.

And a good driver in a 550, will probably out drive a poor driver in an M5, but if someone asks what's faster...the answer is clear.

But there are way more than HP that should go into deciding on which trim to get. You're getting more than just horses in a 550i, there's a whole list of options to consider...

But I guess y'all will say "just get the 535i and add the mtech kit, retro fit this, upgrade the other..."
Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Contributors

When having these discussions, it's assumed that all cars are stock and drivers and conditions are equal. Because if you're gonna throw in a modded 535, may as well consider the 550 modded also.

And a good driver in a 550, will probably out drive a poor driver in an M5, but if someone asks what's faster...the answer is clear.

But there are way more than HP that should go into deciding on which trim to get. You're getting more than just horses in a 550i, there's a whole list of options to consider...

But I guess y'all will say "just get the 535i and add the mtech kit, retro fit this, upgrade the other..."
It would be tough for a good driver in a 550 to "out drive" a poor driver in a M5 unless it is a road course or something, they performance gap is too large. If he was able to do it in a 550, he could have probably also done it in a 535 or 545. 535i to 550i the 0-60 gap is 2 tenths of a second

A base 550i is almost identical to a base 535i, I've already posted the few small differences. Not sure what your saying about mtech kets or whatever?

Even if a E60 550i is heavily modded it still will not beat a lightly modded 535i w/ a tuner, unless it has a supercharger.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Couldnt agree more. It should also be assumed that when discussing the 'faster' car, its assumed that you are referring to a straight line. Lets face it, no one autocrosses or road races their 5-series (unless its an M). And it would be a pretty decisive victory for a stock 550i vs a stock 535i in a straight line. A 535i would need atleast a stage 2 tune to run with or beat a 550i.

The 550i is the better car IMO, especially the LCI car. Reliability, speed, and looks win hands down. Its a little more expensive for a reason.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmoore_
Couldnt agree more. It should also be assumed that when discussing the 'faster' car, its assumed that you are referring to a straight line. Lets face it, no one autocrosses or road races their 5-series (unless its an M). And it would be a pretty decisive victory for a stock 550i vs a stock 535i in a straight line. A 535i would need atleast a stage 2 tune to run with or beat a 550i.

The 550i is the better car IMO, especially the LCI car. Reliability, speed, and looks win hands down. Its a little more expensive for a reason.
A "stage 2" tuner as you call it is only ~$200, not exactly a big investment. Only takes a few minutes to install or remove. A stock 535i can already "run with" a 550i stock, the difference is only a couple of tenths, with a cheap tuner the gap is no longer close. In my test drives the 550 certainly felt more powerful up at interstate speeds. Around town and on the exit ramps the twin turbo 535i felt more quick and nimble handling.

As mentioned earlier, I agree the 550i is the better car if you are worried about the hpfp and don't care about the poorer gas mileage it gets. Not sure what you mean by looks, both cars look identical and both cars are available with the mtech stuff.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

That's what I'm trying to tell these 535i guys, they keep saying they're almost identical yet there is a $10,000 premium on the 550i, for what? the badge lol, NO. And can we plase stop it with the "tuned 535i" talk, it's either both stock or both modded. And again can we get past just HP or 1/4 mile times, is that the only difference in both cars? I think not. If I'm going to buy a 535i, tune it, mess with the suspension, brakes, upgrade to the mtech kit, and retro fit a bunch of other options that are standard on the 550i, may as well just skip all that and get the 550i in the first place. If you're spending that kinda cash, the few MPG saved in the 535i isn't your main concern anyway. The only reason I don't have an M5 is because I can't afford one, simple. Or I can say my 550i is better because I get better milage LOLOLOL.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributors

That's what I'm trying to tell these 535i guys, they keep saying they're almost identical yet there is a $10,000 premium on the 550i, for what? the badge lol, NO. And can we plase stop it with the "tuned 535i" talk, it's either both stock or both modded. And again can we get past just HP or 1/4 mile times, is that the only difference in both cars? I think not. If I'm going to buy a 535i, tune it, mess with the suspension, brakes, upgrade to the mtech kit, and retro fit a bunch of other options that are standard on the 550i, may as well just skip all that and get the 550i in the first place. If you're spending that kinda cash, the few MPG saved in the 535i isn't your main concern anyway. The only reason I don't have an M5 is because I can't afford one, simple. Or I can say my 550i is better because I get better milage LOLOLOL.
You seem to be a little confused. As was already mentioned the only options that are standard on the base 550i that don't come on the base 535i is the pdc, 1/2" wider wheels, and a few small items in the premium package which I personally have never seen a 535i not have. So what exactly is that extra $10,000 getting you? The only difference is the engine that makes the car a couple tenths faster and you don't have to worry about hpfp issues, however at the same time it makes the car a few hundred pounds heavier and gives much less gas mileage.

Nobody is talking about buying mtech kits, suspension, brakes, etc. those items are already the same between the 535 and 550. A couple hundred bucks on a plug-n-play tuner is all it takes for a 535i to smoke a 550i, while still being a few hundred pounds lighter and delivering much better fuel mileage. You can modify your 550 all you want and the results will be the same unless you start talking superchargers and stuff which nobody does since that puts you past m5 money. Speaking of the M5, there is simply no comparison there.

What do you feel the $10,000 premium for the 550i gave you? Please share.

The $10,000 I "saved" went in a new CBR1000RR ($6,983) and the other $3,000+ went towards a 6yr/ 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on the 535i.
Attached Thumbnails cnt decide 535i or 550i??-cbr1k-small.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by ProMed
A "stage 2" tuner as you call it is only ~$200, not exactly a big investment. Only takes a few minutes to install or remove. A stock 535i can already "run with" a 550i stock, the difference is only a couple of tenths, with a cheap tuner the gap is no longer close. In my test drives the 550 certainly felt more powerful up at interstate speeds. Around town and on the exit ramps the twin turbo 535i felt more quick and nimble handling.

As mentioned earlier, I agree the 550i is the better car if you are worried about the hpfp and don't care about the poorer gas mileage it gets. Not sure what you mean by looks, both cars look identical and both cars are available with the mtech stuff.
Sure, but most people will be a little hesitant to run anything more than a stage 1 set-up. Especially with the reliability horror stories. And you really need to understand any kind of street encounter. A stock 535i will not 'run with' a stock 550i. Its that simple. Were talking a 13.30 car (550i) @ 106mph to a 13.8-14.0 car (535i) at 100-101. That my friend is an ass whooping to anybody who know anything about drag racing, roll racing whatever. Your test drives even confirm it.

I wil give you that the 535i does feel more nimble. Was an 08 535i offered with mtech from the factory with the 19'' inch wheels? I assumed it wasnt, maybe im wrong.

Btw, nice CBR. I always get bike fever this time of year, just never pull the trigger.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Contributors

This weekend, just installed AR Design cat-less downpipes and the jb4. LEt me tell you, its so sick, I smoked a 550. Ask kevin, I was keeping up with his m5 at the captree run this past sunday without any problems.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Sure, but most people will be a little hesitant to run anything more than a stage 1 set-up. Especially with the reliability horror stories. And you really need to understand any kind of street encounter. A stock 535i will not 'run with' a stock 550i. Its that simple. Were talking a 13.30 car (550i) @ 106mph to a 13.8-14.0 car (535i) at 100-101. That my friend is an ass whooping to anybody who know anything about drag racing, roll racing whatever. Your test drives even confirm it.

I wil give you that the 535i does feel more nimble. Was an 08 535i offered with mtech from the factory with the 19'' inch wheels? I assumed it wasnt, maybe im wrong.

Btw, nice CBR. I always get bike fever this time of year, just never pull the trigger.
Let's not forget the M-Sport suspension.

Originally Posted by white535xi
This weekend, just installed AR Design cat-less downpipes and the jb4. LEt me tell you, its so sick, I smoked a 550. Ask kevin, I was keeping up with his m5 at the captree run this past sunday without any problems.
We all agree that a well modded 535i is a different story, and that goes for any car, but stock to stock is the issue, all I keep hearing is "but if you tune..." The deciding factor here is if you want to spend the extra cash for the better overall package. Out the box the 550i is the top choice. If all you care about is speed, the get the 535i and do the "$200 tune". Me, I want power and also all the extra goodies out of the box.

Quick Reply: cnt decide 535i or 550i??