E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch Judder 520d

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Folks,

3 weks ago I drove up a steep hill in heavy traffic and the clutch started juddering very baddly, there was also a strong cluch burning smell. Since then the clutch judders very slighly on moving off in 1st gear when it is cold, otherwise it seems fine. The dealier looked at it last week but said it seemed fine....

I was very surprised at the short amont of time it took for the clutch to become very hot, and I assume, heat warp enough to cause the judder.

My vehicle is at the end of its lease period and I am considering buying it. however I am concerned that the clutch is about to go and don't want to foot the bill.

Anyone else had a similar experience and got any advice ?

Tim
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributors

What gear where you in on this hill? i would suggest using a higher gear and using the engine to control speed as no car likes to be ridden on the clutch, you will also find that you wont have anymore clutch problems!! I'm assuming you have a manual gearbox by the way!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Originally Posted by Rislar' post='990706' date='Aug 27 2009, 10:59 PM
What gear where you in on this hill? i would suggest using a higher gear and using the engine to control speed as no car likes to be ridden on the clutch, you will also find that you wont have anymore clutch problems!! I'm assuming you have a manual gearbox by the way!!
I have a manual car, and was using 1st gear. It was start stop for about 1/2 hr in a traffic jam on a long steep hill. I was not riding the clutch just moving off up the hill carefully - probably 20 or 30 times in 1/2 hr. I would guess the clutch would have got hot but not start juddering so badly I amost had to pull off the road to let it cool. Also - all the other cars in the jam with me seemed OK.

As I have driven over approx 1/2 million miles in various cars over 25 years of driving and I have never experienced clutch burn so easily and quickly. The main reason it was it was a real surprise, and makes me think it is either a fault on my car or the design and or cooling of the clutch is not good.

Tim
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Contributors

I have a 2006 520d (30K), grey and haven't noticed any problems with the clutch.
The clutch is definately heavier then other cars I have driven but seems OK.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by timo' post='990652' date='Aug 27 2009, 04:16 PM
Folks,

3 weks ago I drove up a steep hill in heavy traffic and the clutch started juddering very baddly, there was also a strong cluch burning smell. Since then the clutch judders very slighly on moving off in 1st gear when it is cold, otherwise it seems fine. The dealier looked at it last week but said it seemed fine....

I was very surprised at the short amont of time it took for the clutch to become very hot, and I assume, heat warp enough to cause the judder.

My vehicle is at the end of its lease period and I am considering buying it. however I am concerned that the clutch is about to go and don't want to foot the bill.

Anyone else had a similar experience and got any advice ?

Tim
I would be concerned too. I think the clutch is considered a wear item and would probably be YOUR repair after the first 50k warranty expires.
Parts damaged in the clutch assembly will not get better with use. Judder transmitted to the motor and transmission mounts can cause them to fail as well.
Hopefully you can prove the clutch is failing before your lease expires. GL!
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Judder 520d-clutch.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Every 520d I've owned (three of them) has had a clutch judder. The first, a new 2005 SE did it from cold for the first few start off's, the second a new 2007 520d M-Sport did it but only now and again and my current car, again a new 520d E61 has done it very slightly a few times but I think this is when it's doing a DPF clean cycle. Also most of the manual 320d's at work went through a stage of doing it at about 20k miles.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

A clutch that is about to fail would for me be the best reason imaginable to not buy the car after the lease period is up!
I don't know about the 520d clutch, but in general the clutch is a difficult part to reach. Hence expensive in labour. Furthermore, with the only clutch I ever had to replace (not a BMW), the labour costs were such, that it was better to replace all clutch parts (not just the discs), just to be sure the clutch house doesn't have to be opened again soon --> terribly expensive if you have to pay it yourself. Don't buy the car and sleep better!