E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clunk when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 07:22 PM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550 M Sport
Default Clunk when turning left

Originally Posted by Allen
I had the exact same problem on my 2008 535i. After much troubleshooting by my independent, he eventually found that the active sway bar had been damaged when I hit a dip in the road under full braking. He replaced it...apparently it requires some kind of calibration/programming...he did that, and problem was fixed. I bet this is what is your problem. Mine ONLY made the noise when I turned LEFT under load. You may want to have your active sway bar checked.....if all mechanical stuff looks ok.
I had a constant clunk after refreshing my entire suspension. I initially thought it was a spring that wasn’t seated right but turned out to be a loose sway arm mount bracket screw. I had a shop look at it and couldn’t figure it out. I then took the car on jack stands and tugged on everything until I noticed a slight noise and movement on the right sway bar bracket mount. I added some grease and tightened the nut and the sound went away. The new problem is that my driver sway broke a couple of times after welding it back, so now I am simply replacing the subframe and taking care of some oil leaks while I am at it.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:28 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by MiG-E60550
I had a constant clunk after refreshing my entire suspension. I initially thought it was a spring that wasn’t seated right but turned out to be a loose sway arm mount bracket screw. I had a shop look at it and couldn’t figure it out. I then took the car on jack stands and tugged on everything until I noticed a slight noise and movement on the right sway bar bracket mount. I added some grease and tightened the nut and the sound went away. The new problem is that my driver sway broke a couple of times after welding it back, so now I am simply replacing the subframe and taking care of some oil leaks while I am at it.

Funny enough, that was exactly the problem. Hit a huge pothole and the swaybar mount finally sheared itself from the frame. Installed in a new subframe and now it's fine. I guess the clunk is likely a creak cause by the aluminum cracking and fatiguing.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:00 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Originally Posted by MiG-E60550
so now I am simply replacing the subframe and taking care of some oil leaks while I am at it.
I think we have a different definition of the word "simply"... ;-)