E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CLS 500 vs. 550i M aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I've been in the CLS 500 and the cabin seems cramped... I didnt like the inside... Outside it looks good but not good enough. Its impressive but I dont think I'll want one. I MIGHT want a E instead of the CLS. So with all that said... I say go for the 550. You wont be disappointed!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

I would go Silver/Black CLS with AMG package.

I love the 545/550 but a CLS just looks too nice. Obviously the 550 outperforms the CLS but I think the CLS is the only new mercedes I like that doesnt give me that chrysler feel.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

why not wait for CLS 550 ? and its so much sexier than the e60 anyway
Old 02-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

I must say that the CLS is beautiful in the flesh, especially with the AMG kit, big wheels etc.

But, 550 is awesome - understated compared to the MB - a "car person's" car.

550 with msport for me.

Shi
Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

That's a no brainer. 550i all the way. The e60 looks so much better than the cls. Yes between all the mercs the cls is a beauty but that's because in my eyes almost all the mercs are ugly as hell. The front lights of the cls look as it had their eyebrows removed and the butt is soooo ugly. It's like a banana, it starts and it ends int he same way. The but becomes more narrow and goes lower. If you could change the stoplights with a pair of front lights you'll get dizzy thinking wich is wich. But after all "the beauty is in the eyes of each and everyone". But there always will be cars like people that are simply ugly, or beauty wannabes.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Hmm......I think the CLS500 looks better than the E60, but for an everyday car I like the E60 better. I think the CLS500 gets more attention
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by Rolex 550' post='239211' date='Feb 12 2006, 06:59 PM
Okay well I may be a bit biased, I don't have the M aero kit - but I did get the sport package (124 wheels) and euro reflectors...This vehicle is amazingly quick as you know, but the thing that really grabs me is whenever the valet drives up with her or I'm walking up to her in a parking lot among regular cars the effect is stunning! The lines and overall fluid design are pure and delightful to look at when its by itself, however when put in with the masses it can distinguish itself in a postive way from the Bentley GT Continental which is always valet parked with my 550. Perhaps the greatest respect you'll ever have is when its parked amoung other high end sedans - it somehow refuses to fit in retaining its almost insulting stance. Giving the unapproving glare to the rest of the market...the designers know this car has what it takes to pull off a certain arrogance, and so the basic lines demand respect and praise regardless of your personal opinion. It knows its beautiful...The 550 is a unique and tastful vehicle that will never dissapoint, and when the body style is no longer the newest and the visual appeal is taken for granted with time - the tune of that 4.8ltr V8 singing effortlessly as it transports you to speeds acceptable for small aircraft to take off and the handling superiority that comes with the territory will have you smiling even after you've exited the "pilot's" seat. Hands down the 550, I mean who can say no to this face? (Refer to signiture)
WOW Rolex...you should be a BMW salesman or writer. I'm sold, even though my 550 is due in this week I'm in love all over again
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AMG Killer' post='239203' date='Feb 12 2006, 09:34 PM
Im having a hard time deciding on which car to get, a white CLS500 or a white 550i with nav, comfort access and M aero kit. I drove both cars and performance wise the bmw takes the benz. But since the benz is soo nice looking i can't decide which to get. Please help me decide and list your opinions. Thanks!
I am wondering what you currently kill AMG's with. And, with respect to your question, I am not sure that there is anything we can say that will, or should, persuade you one way or the other.

I always try to factor in looks, price, performance, feel, and prestige. If these factors are among the more important to you, then I suggest trying to get a handle on which of them pulls you strongly in one directiion or the other, decide which car you would go with if the decision had to do with only those factors, and then go with that car.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Interesting, my wife is due for a new car in June, and is deciding between the 550 and the cls500, as well. She currently has an 2003 540 (with the final model-year M package they offered that one year), and I have a 2005 545. She'd go with the 550 but she thinks it's silly for us to have the same car- I disagree. If it's the best car out there for both of us, then both of us should have it.

She's interested in the cls500 because it looks gorgeous.

The final decision has to be the test drive. Every review of the cls500 that I've read mentions that it has that typical Mercedes acceleration lag. She's a driving enthusiast, so I am sure she'll like the looks of the cls500, but when she tests the 550 she'll realize that's where she belongs.

If being behind the wheel counts, then the 550 is where you want to be. I like the way it looks, too, especially mine, which is all black, M Kit, with very dark tinted windows. Looks like the shadow of a shark on the road- always gets the looks.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Members

I shopped both cars before I bought my 550 in January look at my sig. The CLS is rather out dated in the electronics department as well as the 5.0 engine. CLS is due for a new engine next year for sure I talked to one of my patients whom is the supervisor in the service department for local Merc dealership. There is no bluetooth option in the CLS and when I sat in it with my wife we both felt claustrophobic due to the small windows. Externally it is pretty but not functional. My buddy bought a CLS55 and just traded it in for a M5 for the same reasons above. The Mercedes Nav is worthless and the command center sucks to operate.

I am really happy with my 550. No problems at all so far.

Quick Reply: CLS 500 vs. 550i M aero kit