E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Closing windows w/Key button

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly laws are everywhere.
is it including singapore? can't chew gum in the public . many said singapore is a "fine" city .
Old 08-07-2004, 05:38 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Aug 7 2004, 05:20 PM
Silly laws are everywhere.
is it including singapore? can't chew gum in the public . many said singapore is a "fine" city .
Maybe we could get into this deeper one night at the pub, FF.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN said it best. I think the following is obvious to many but I'll say it anyway:

The problem over here is the middle part of JDN's equation. Many people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. They aren't accountable for themselves, they always try to find someone they can hold accountable so they blame whatever happens to them on others and they look to the government to "protect" them from harm.

Since so many of these people sue anyone and everyone in court and crazy judges and jurys end up awarding big bucks to these people, companies in the US that sell products are extra careful to avoid potential lawsuits. BMW no doubt won't allow us to put our windows and roof up remotely because in a US court, if someone were injured, the lawyers would make the case that BMW was negligent and the cars have flaws in the design, etc. The accept screen, BTW, is silly because I'll bet anything that it wouldn't hold up in court and hold BMW harmless. Most disclaimers and waivers are formalities that only cause the individuals to think twice about a lawsuit.

Okay, I know I'm preaching to the choir. My fingers are getting stressed from typing this message, I think I'll call my lawyer and see if I can sue IBM, Dell, Gateway, Microsoft, juan2mini, alohalc, kscarrol, Iceman, BMW530, SkiScubaSailDude, MEX, kigerka, totoseow, JDN, Flowerfred, Invision Power Board, Lomag, das, and even BMW for starting the whole thing in the first place!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 8 2004, 02:38 AM
Maybe we could get into this deeper one night at the pub, FF.
Definitely.. Has to be in holland though, 'cause overhere the pubs close at 11 for the same reason you have to accept your I-drive every day..
Old 08-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 8 2004, 02:32 AM
'cause overhere the pubs close at 11 for the same reason you have to accept your I-drive every day..
The time we usually start over here!!!
Old 08-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

oh mine! this topic has degenerated! sorry guys!

ok u can chew gum in singapore...u just cant sell it....go figure.
however they hv ammended the laws. u can now chew gum if u hv a dentist prescription...n u can buy it with that prescription.

the reason for banning chewing gum here is bcos of the cost of cleaning n the inconvenience it causes. they banned it b4 the subway was completed nearly 15 yr ago...

i agree silly laws r everywhere...we hv another..u can hv oral sex in singapore.

wot i meant initially was really why does the USA look at cars differently from the others...accepting i-drive etc...how different is that or how is folding mirrors etc gonna affect anything?!
Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 AM
JDN
Contributors

OK, totoseow, my first response got us off in the ditch so I'll try and give you a better answer.

The Accept screen gives BMW a little protection against lawsuit liability in the US. It looks to me as though that protection would be needed everywhere, albeit, more likely to protect in the US because of the propensity for lawsuits (somebody must be paying for all of these lawyers the institutions produce).

With that said, I personally have never sued anyone -- not even the surgeon who whacked my nose in the wrong place. We became good friends instead.

While that doesn't really answer your question, it's better than the first answer I gave you.

Now the folding mirror question has to do with coping with the narrow streets in older civilizations -- or so it has been explained by others in this forum.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2004, 10:59 AM
MEX
Senior Members

Exactly what i was thinking iceman

so.. is it complicated having the folding mirrors activated to fold with they key buttons?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Not at all, five minutes.. While you're at it, tell them to change your automatic headlights setting to sensitive. That will make your headlights come on a bit later..

Quick Reply: Closing windows w/Key button