E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

clear bra and m-aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 550i (est delivery 12/06) Auburn / Poplar Interior / Anthracite headliner M body aero kit/ sport/ sound/ comfort access/ comfort seats/ sunshade/ sat radio

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='194794
So if you get a clear bra - then no wax?
Do you have to change it every year or ever? Does it scratch?
Does Victoria Secret make one?
No you can wax it... treat it as normal paint. But I use Plexus to treat it. Its a Boating product... and it seems to be working pretty good.

Nope dont have to change it every year... it should last a long time if you take care of it. I had mine on my MINI for almost 3 years and its still looks good as new. No problems. and it doesnt scratch... I mean it will but its more durable than paint. A lot more.

No Victory Secrets doesnt make one for the E60 yet.
[/quote]
Does the M aero kit clear bra have a version for the PDC?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Jeremy of Invisiguard told me about 3 different kinds, 3M, Venture and Llumar. I'm sure there are other brands but these are the only three he told me about.

He uses Venture films on lighter color cars like your Silver Gray and Llumar on black cars like mine. Llumar doesn't show up on black as much as other films like Venture and I will testify to that fact. I can hardly see the line. For the lights though, Jeremy uses 3M. I forgot the reason for this. He also did say that 3M is not as energy absorbent as Llumar...saying that you can actually tear the 3M film by hand but the Llumar will stretch like crazy but won't break.

That's all I can contribute. I'm sure if you call up Xpel or one of those companies, they should be able to tell you all you need to know. I would call at least 2 just to get a comparison on the info.

BTW, the computer designed cuts do accommodate the PDC on the M Tech Kit. My friend CoolTones, the one who referred me to Invisiguard, got his car done and he has the M Tech Kit with PDC.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by almd' post='197862' date='Nov 13 2005, 05:28 PM
Does the M aero kit clear bra have a version for the PDC?
Yes it does have a version with PDC. I have PDC on my car and I have the X-Pel clear bra on mine.

All the companies have both versions... a PDC one and a non PDC.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributors

So is X-Pel a brand of film or is it the company that did your clear bra?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='197907' date='Nov 13 2005, 08:34 PM
So is X-Pel a brand of film or is it the company that did your clear bra?
X-Pel is the company that designed the CUT of the film... like what to cover and what not to cover and how it will fit to the shape of your car.

Most of them have individual contracted people who go and learn how to install it at their headquarters its a 4 day learning process I think and then they come back and are "certificed Installers"

Thats why I suggest looking at the X-Pel site and looking for a local installer who has their own design cut plotter... that usually means they are a high volume installer so they'll have more experience.

If you juat have a "cetified" person do it they will go and order the film from X-Pel or Stonguard and then install it on your car instead of cutting it on their plotter themselves.

Stonguard is the same... they are a design company that designs the cut. Stonguard is based somewhere close to Seattle Washington and if you go there they'll have installers on site that can do the isntall for you and its even cheaper!!

There are a few other less known companies that make design cuts also

Invinca-Shield

Armourfend (US and UK)

I dont think any of them make their own film. Off the top of my head right now I know Avery, 3M, and Llumar make films... 3M is the most known one they were the first to make the film I believe.

Clear urethane film (Clear Bra) was first used to protect helicopter rotor blades during the Vietnam War. Its first automotive use was to protect paint and sponsors' decals on NASCAR stock cars. After being track tested at 200 mph, it's been available for autos the past 15 years. Several companies manufacture clear urethane film, but 3M ScotchCal is the most noted product.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the detailed info!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 550i (est delivery 12/06) Auburn / Poplar Interior / Anthracite headliner M body aero kit/ sport/ sound/ comfort access/ comfort seats/ sunshade/ sat radio

can you wax venture shield product?