E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CIP 21 + Voice Input + Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I bought my car just over a month ago and as soon as it was out BMW made their Mar 06 changes. This included the Voice Input (which I didn't order) as part of the Media Pack and Aux as standard. It however meant the over all cost increased by more than ?1000 pounds. I was sad at the first 2 points but was OK with not having to pay the excess.

This forum helped me to know that both the Voice Input and Aux were available as a retrofit and then my experience in dealers/stealers began. I received quotes ranging from ?850 - ?310 for the voice input only and another ?405 - ?205 for the Aux. Again I felt bad that just for a few weeks I missed out on these options. Then I recently also heard of CIP 21 and the iPOD integration.

Then people on this forum told me where they got their work done and infact a guy actually sent me scans of his invoice to show the dealers I was speaking to. Ofcourse his dealer was very far away from me.

I finally managed to find a dealer who said he would do it for the same labour time but with London labour rates and I was OK with that. The car stayed with him from Friday to Monday (original estimate was 1 day) because they had never done the Voice Input before and hence didn't know that they needed a code from BMW AG.

Anyway it was finally done and I went to pick up my car. Guess what I paid less than the original option of the Voice Input on it's own for both Voice + Aux including parts and labour

How come BMW sell a retrofit cheaper than the original option is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. In the meanwhile I was lucky enough to get CIP 21 installed too. I did check about the iPOD integration retrofit but was told that it wasn't available for my car.

Few questions:
1. What do I look out for in CIP 21 i.e. are they any know issues.
2. I heard that the Voice Input prompt is male, however mine is female. How come? I now have two women in my car and that's before my wife steps in
3. Why did the dealer say that the iPOD retrofit is not available for me?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Somebody with answers to any of my questions?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce,

Search around it's on this forum.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='260925' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:13 AM
I bought my car just over a month ago and as soon as it was out BMW made their Mar 06 changes. This included the Voice Input (which I didn't order) as part of the Media Pack and Aux as standard. It however meant the over all cost increased by more than ?1000 pounds. I was sad at the first 2 points but was OK with not having to pay the excess.

This forum helped me to know that both the Voice Input and Aux were available as a retrofit and then my experience in dealers/stealers began. I received quotes ranging from ?850 - ?310 for the voice input only and another ?405 - ?205 for the Aux. Again I felt bad that just for a few weeks I missed out on these options. Then I recently also heard of CIP 21 and the iPOD integration.

Then people on this forum told me where they got their work done and infact a guy actually sent me scans of his invoice to show the dealers I was speaking to. Ofcourse his dealer was very far away from me.

I finally managed to find a dealer who said he would do it for the same labour time but with London labour rates and I was OK with that. The car stayed with him from Friday to Monday (original estimate was 1 day) because they had never done the Voice Input before and hence didn't know that they needed a code from BMW AG.

Anyway it was finally done and I went to pick up my car. Guess what I paid less than the original option of the Voice Input on it's own for both Voice + Aux including parts and labour

How come BMW sell a retrofit cheaper than the original option is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. In the meanwhile I was lucky enough to get CIP 21 installed too. I did check about the iPOD integration retrofit but was told that it wasn't available for my car.

Few questions:
1. What do I look out for in CIP 21 i.e. are they any know issues.
2. I heard that the Voice Input prompt is male, however mine is female. How come? I now have two women in my car and that's before my wife steps in
3. Why did the dealer say that the iPOD retrofit is not available for me?
Hi Bruce,
Can I ask where you got you voice input done, and how much you paid. As I am also thinking of doing this but am getting quotes of around ?600. If you give me any contact dealer contact details would be great

thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sicce' post='261793' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Bruce,
Can I ask where you got you voice input done, and how much you paid. As I am also thinking of doing this but am getting quotes of around ?600. If you give me any contact dealer contact details would be great

thanks
I did mine at Synter High Wycombe. ?600 pounds is rubbish. I too got these kinds of quotes.

Try Synter Nottingham they may be closer for you. The TIS says it's about 1.25 - 1.5 hours of labour for the voice and 1 hour for the Aux. My dealer charged me 2 hours labour for both installations and this included all the recoding to CIP 21 with the options enabled. Even with this I got both mods done cheaper the original option cost of the Voice Input on it's own. I'm glad I didn't take it as an option.
The car does need to stay with them for 2 days because they need a code from BMW AG to enable the voice.