E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cigarette Lighter Power Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='439428' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:50 AM
I have a UK spec car which as mentioned did NOT have the passenger footwell socket as found in the US spec cars. However as mentioned its very easy to retrofit that socket as you simply need to extend the front socket into the passenger footwell.
As for the issue with the LCI cars I understand that both the front socket and the passenger footwell socket are missing. So if you want to make an official retrofit you will need to pull a wire all the back to the fuse box over the battery.

The easiest thing in my opinion is to simply extend the rear sockets to the front socket. That way you only need a small bit of wire running inside of the armrest.

Sorry Bruce, I was miss-quoting you, it was Bart sMartWeed who posted that there was one under the glove box.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='439019' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:55 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my LCI 525d. I asked the tech people in the dealership to give me a solution and the proposal was to build an extra 12V outlet in somewhere but that would take about 3 hours of work because of the additional wires they had to put in. :thumbsdown:

In the opinion that it couldn't be possible BMW doesn't provide some kind of 12V outlet I read the manual again and ... there is one at the passenger side after the glove compartment. You have to know it is there else you won't see it. The dealer didn't know it either, I had to tell them!

So, no worries, there is one.

Hi Bart, is your car UK spec? If so pls could you post a picture showing where the power outlet is. Cheers.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Black, Black, Sport, Premium, Winter, Wimpy Factory Sound System

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='438637' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:55 AM
There is also a a power outlet under the glove box. I use that to charge when phone.
Could you give me a detailed description and the exact location of the power outlet under the glove box? Is it powered all the time?.. on a timer? I would like to have full time 12v to charge my cell phone when the car is not running. Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='439156' date='Jun 24 2007, 12:35 AM
The way the Pre-LCI cars were wired were as follows.

Fuse 87 - Front socket and passenger footwell socket (US)
Fuse 88 - Both Rear sockets and boot socket.

You could tap into Fuse 88 via pins on a connector on the fuse box.

For the Fuse 87 to need to also tap into a connector X11012 on the rear fuse box over the battery. This is a large 32 pin connector and you will need to use pin 25 for the front socket (Green/White wire) and pin 24 for the passenger footwell socket (Green/Black wire). My biggest fear is that the wiring loom may not be present so it will require a very long wire from the front of the car all the way to the back fuse box.

I have WDS10 which doesnt seem to have the LCI cars on it. So all this information is for Pre-LCI car built after 2006-09
Bruce

Thanks for that. Now I've had a chance to look at the fuse box, I've been able to confirm pin 25 is not fitted and the relevant wire is not included in the harness (ditto pin 24 etc, of course). Also, I don't believe the "LCI level" WDS will show any material difference in this power distribution area of the design. (Although I should note the LCI's "X11012" has added pin positions).

It seems incredible that they would design/order/build/deliver/stock/supply a specific wiring harness for non-smoker RHD cars, just to save 3mtrs of wire in each of the comparatively few they build. Or do you know if they tailor a specific harness for each chassis according to its option list?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439545' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:59 PM
Bruce

Thanks for that. Now I've had a chance to look at the fuse box, I've been able to confirm pin 25 is not fitted and the relevant wire is not included in the harness (ditto pin 24 etc, of course). Also, I don't believe the "LCI level" WDS will show any material difference in this power distribution area of the design. (Although I should note the LCI's "X11012" has added pin positions).

It seems incredible that they would design/order/build/deliver/stock/supply a specific wiring harness for non-smoker RHD cars, just to save 3mtrs of wire in each of the comparatively few they build. Or do you know if they tailor a specific harness for each chassis according to its option list?
The wires do seem to be very preciously added to each car. Because very rarely do you find wiring available for options you don't have. I'm not surprised about the X11012 having extra pins, I have a 2006/01 car and X11011 has 12 pins but the WDS shows it to be 10 pins. However I was lucky in that the pin numbers were still correct.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439545' date='Jun 25 2007, 11:59 AM
Have you seen the cost of copper recently?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

In case someone is still looking for the part.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-SERIES-E60-E61-FRONT-LIFTING-CIG-LIGHTER-UNIT_W0QQitemZ300128948749QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

How about plugging in into the rear sockets and then run the wire under the center console to the front where your Garmin is?

You could even run it to the glove compartment and put a contra-plug (so a socket on the end of the wire) there if the Garmin cable is short.

This would maintain warranty as you do not change anything to the car itself. And it would not be as visible as your current solution.

Other idea, if you have the flashlight in the glove box (I don't so it's not standard) there will be probably 12V continuous there. Connect a contra-plug to it's wiring and you have power. Perhaps even with a plug similar to the flashlight so you don't even need to take out the wires that lead to the flashlight. Saving warranty issues.

For a Garmin or charging a phone it will be enough but if you also plan to connect a watercooker, please don't do that to such wiring. In that case you need to run thicker wires to the fuse box and use soldered connections to avoid high temperatures at bottlenecks.

In fact, whatever you do, consider adding a simple in-wire fuse of lower value (lighter fuse I mean) than the fuse in the fuse box you connect to. This to ensure that that one blows first and the car's fuse is an additional protection.

haha! now I notice it's last year's post! I was wondering about the 14th (today is the 11th) but the year still didn't register

I was looking for the post about the 12V socket in the boot and how to connect it to the battery when I came accross this thread.