E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Christmas Tree lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 06:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Sedan
Exclamation Christmas Tree lights

Hello all, I apologize in advance for some probably simple questions here, I'm mechanically inclined but haven't worked on a 5 before and Carly is new to me.

Recently acquired 2008 535xi and got the ABS, DSC, Red Brake light, and TPM light on (and the ABS 4x4 mini-display icon). There is a TPM and ABS/DCS/4x4 message in IDrive as well.
Before getting the car, the battery died (and they claimed there were no warnings). So the seller replaced it with a lead acid Duralast H8 Silver (Not a fan but it is still a New battery). It has been registered, although in Carly it was asking for the aH of the battery and I couldnt for the life of me find what it was online, so I went with 90aH as a default.

I tried the left-right reset and nothing.
The SZL seems fine because the turn signals turn off when i turn and return the wheel to center.
I hooked it up to a tender last night all night (on the nodes under the hood and not directly to the battery), and it was still showing "charging" this morning
From Carly:
Voltages while running are ~14.5V (I will pull the V while off today)
Got multiple error Codes:
DSC 00D36A - Not received or message STAT SET MOM IMPLEMENTATION.....
DSC 00D36B - Message CAN: CAN F CLU 2 ID: 0x0E3 /PT-CAN: not received message ST WEAR DISK......
Gear Lever 00E09A - Message Speed / Signal from the instrument cluster LCD luminance PT-CAN
Trans 00CF34 - Message Transmission data / News of the DSC is missing / Signal from the motor control: torque is DME
Trans 00CF2B - Message-group error 2 (effect in the driving mode = possible) for (EGS EL, PT-CAN) of (DSC MODULE, PT-CAN).......request to powertrain torque checkum error / CAN BUS

I had it in the shop for an oil and coolant leak repair and all they said was that they couldnt communicate with the VTG but didnt troubleshoot further since it would cost more and the car drives perfectly fine.
So I'm reaching out to everyone to ask for help. I cleared everything in Carly (the DSC error and lights on the Dash never clear) and everything else eventually comes back.
I can easily spend the time this weekend going through everything.

I checked the associated fuses, and none were bad. Again being my first time on a 5, please bear with me, but I dont have a 50 amp fuse in the "1" spot which according to the diagram is for the ABS.....should I?

My first thought was the battery, since I'm seeing a lot of posts talking about how it can affect the other systems, but its "new" and seems to have a good voltage while running.
Can carly also help determine if the ABS module is bad? (wheel sensor readout?)

I read thorugh this post and plan to troubleshoot, I just dont know if Carly can read the speed sensors like INPA:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...roblem-133613/

Thanks for the help everyone. Btw, the car drives perfectly fine, and the shop said unless I need to get it past inspection, that its really not an issue, mechanically. (after paying for the other repairs I just didn't have the immediate funds to have them chase trons, so I'd like to solve this one myself)

Attached the Carly File.

Last edited by Dosequisrex; 12-09-2021 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added Carly Printout
Old 12-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you have a laptop install BMW software tools and buy a k+ d can cable. You'll get way further than using Carly. I doubt he didn't have any lights but we will attach electrical first. Did you perform an alternator test to ensure it's good. You are pushing 14.5v which is good but is it steady? I use flooded batteries and have gotten at least 7 years out of them each time so using it is not an issue. There's a site that will convert your flooded battery to AH for you if you don't know how to do the conversion yourself but 90Ah is fine. You also have to code it to a flooded battery or you'll have issues so I would start there if you haven't. It seems like you are not getting a signal from the DSC which is causing all your issues mainly a SZL issue. Do a steering sweep (turn the wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right. Just report back after you code and clear all codes to see if it comes back

Last edited by seanjordan20; 12-09-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If you have a laptop install BMW software tools and buy a k+ d can cable. You'll get way further than using Carly. I doubt he didn't have any lights but we will attach electrical first. Did you perform an alternator test to ensure it's good. You are pushing 14.5v which is good but is it steady? I use flooded batteries and have gotten at least 7 years out of them each time so using it is not an issue. There's a site that will convert your flooded battery to AH for you if you don't know how to do the conversion yourself but 90Ah is fine. You also have to code it to a flooded battery or you'll have issues so I would start there if you haven't. It seems like you are not getting a signal from the DSC which is causing all your issues mainly a SZL issue. Do a steering sweep (turn the wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right. Just report back after you code and clear all codes to see if it comes back

i appreciate it and will look to see. I cleared it all and tried the sweep but didn’t have any luck. The laptop route will be my next steps
Old 12-23-2021, 11:14 AM
New Members

Update:
I noticed that I did NOT have a 50amp fuse in F1......which I thought was odd, so I put one in, and now whenever I start the car the lights go off for a second then come back on, before they just were always on, no blink.

I was able to get ISTA running and ran the codes after trying to clear (I am still trying to use the Voltage app to get past the manual terminal change), anyways here is what I got.

Fault group
DSC_60PP --- 0x006E4F DSC: control unit: pump activation
DSC_60PP --- 0x00D36A No message (VTG, 0xBC), receiver DSC, transmitter VTG 224448 Yes ---
DSC_60PP --- 0x00D36B No message (VTG, 0x376), receiver DSC, transmitter VTG 224448 Yes ---
IHKA60_2 --- 0x009C55 IHKA: Fogging sensor 224448 Yes --- Fault memory
SGBD code Description Fault group unknown:
S 0204 No communication possible with: Transfer box --- unknown S 0078 No communication possible with: Central information display --- Service error

I can troubleshoot the Condensation sensor later.
I also ran INPA and cleared but neither ISTA or INPA can clear the ABS/Red Break and Traction control light on.

Looking for any help on where to go from here. Did I potentially cause an issue when the old battery failed and I replaced it? Can I get to the VTG in the truck to check wiring?
And happy Holidays to everyone.