E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chicago Potholes and new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juris335' post='754202' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:26 PM
What is thought to be the cause of the apparent high level of deteriorating roads in the Chicago area? Lake Shore Dr is just above sea level with the average for the city being 579 feet. What have the politicians done with all of those tax dolars for all of these years?

Did you mean to say 124's have a reputation for breaking? When I bought my new 2008 the dealer knew nothing of "wheel insurance". Good luck.

Snow plows cause them.

Here are the worst problems with Illinois roads:

1) They use asphalt instead of concrete to build roads. This means they last 2-4 years tops here.
2) They use salt in the winter which destroys asphalt.
3) Snowplows dig up large patches of previously repaired roads causing enormous potholes.
4) Our Governor is a bastard crook with Richard Daley following close behind. Good luck initiating any serious infrastructure road projects with a state budget that is in shambles and corrupt polititians behind the wheel.
5) We have one of the highest highway toll costs and the income from them has zero return on that investment since the tolls have now been sold to some UAE corporation and the money no longer goes to the state.
6) In 2008 we've had record snowfall for this month and IL has spent almost $50,000,000 of the state's budget for snow removal, salt, trucks, etc.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by bjsbuds' post='754151
What is thought to be the cause of the apparent high level of deteriorating roads in the Chicago area? Lake Shore Dr is just above sea level with the average for the city being 579 feet. What have the politicians done with all of those tax dolars for all of these years?

Did you mean to say 124's have a reputation for breaking? When I bought my new 2008 the dealer knew nothing of "wheel insurance". Good luck.

Juris, as i recall you are in cali, when I picked up my e60 back in december of last year, the wheel and tire package was not being offered...something about ins companies not agreeing with BMW offering ins, IIRC (If I Recall Correctly)...recently another member in cali just purchased wheel and tire ins for his wheels (also covers aftermarket wheels, reported by the member). If it's something you are looking into...call your dealership again as well as shopping it around to 3rd party companies...I think AAA also has a wheel/tire package (but is limited to OEM wheels and tires)
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributors

If its limited to "OEM" wheels and tires then my M166 "OEM" wheels must be covered! =p Right?....
Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='754215' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:49 AM
If its limited to "OEM" wheels and tires then my M166 "OEM" wheels must be covered! =p Right?....
, again, read the fine print...just make sure it's not limited to OEM + stock wheel style only.....
Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Thats the reason my E60 is garaged and wont come out till May.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='754222' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:58 PM
, again, read the fine print...just make sure it's not limited to OEM + stock wheel style only.....

Damn you Genetals! Damn you!!!! <3
Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by bjsbuds' post='754151' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:41 AM
As I was driving my new car back from Chicago yesterday trying to dodge pot holes, I wondered if I should have purchased the tire & wheel protection package. They wanted $699, which sounded like a lot to me. I told them I plan to replace the OEMs with new wheels & tires, and they said it covered whatever wheels & tires you have on the car. Wonder now if I should have reconsidered?
It is not too late. You can call almost any dealer and get the insurance. I unfortunately did the same thing you did and ended up ruining my wheel and tire after hitting a manhole cover (gravel had washed away and they had removed the barricade because people were complaining). $1,200 for the wheel, tire, and alignment. I now have wheel and tire insurance WITH COSMETIC damage protection (so they will fix the rim if I curb it). Here are my pics... (happened in September - fortunately, I'm driving a Chevy HHR rental now because someone thought my rear door needed to be replaced).

PS - I would go with 17" snow tires and OEM 138 rims if I still had my 550 ....
Attached Thumbnails Chicago Potholes and new tires-pothole__large_.jpg   Chicago Potholes and new tires-m5rim__large_.jpg   Chicago Potholes and new tires-m5tire__large_.jpg  
Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, Platinum Grey, Black Dakota leather, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite headliner, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, HUD, PDC, Night Vision, Logic7, iPod / USB, HD Radio, Sunshades, Heated Rear seats, and Folding Rear Seats.

Ouch. I moved from Chicago 5 years ago and don't miss the snow and ice and crappy roads. Of course, I now live in Seattle and we've just finished a week long battle with snow and ice. Yesterday we were out driving in my wife's ML and the road to our house is now littered with huge pot holes, 3+ inches deep. Makes me wonder if I should just leave my 535xi in the garage till spring when they will likely start to fix the roads. Glad I bought the tire and wheel insurances just in case I get lazy and am not paying attention one day.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='753819' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:41 PM
Well it is pothole season in Chicago and I now have the war wounds to prove it. I was motoring around our fair city at a fair 45mph when I was swallowed by a monster. The front rim is separated in two and the back rim is dented pretty bad, the Break caliper looks like it was broken and the stearing wheel is not so straight. I had my winter setup with a nice new pair of Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3's which saved the 172's but that is the only bright side. Only 1134 miles on the new setup. Good thing that i paid the 29.95 tire insurance.

Sorry about the wheel damage. Potholes in Chicago are a real problem and are getting worse year after year. In fact, during the winter I cut down the number trips to the City because of potholes. (live in the burbs) I was out at O'Hare today and it was a freaking battleground. I liken the exit ramps to a Motocross track. My poor car took a beating given winter setups with hard RFT blizzacks. Yikes.

Good luck with the repairs. Doesn't Chicago offer some sort of program to reimburse drivers with wheel damage caused by potholes??

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

I dunno, but this state's infrastructure is seriously shit. Sucks.

Quick Reply: Chicago Potholes and new tires