E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chemical to eliminate creaky windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Graham' date='Jul 19 2005, 09:08 AM
I'd like to try the WD40 option, could you give me some idea of how and where to apply it.
Thank you
[snapback]150660[/snapback]
It is on the very top of the door when you open it. It is not the rubber as we all thought before, it is the shammy (chamois ) (suede ) strip on the very top of the door. That is where you apply the WD40. Just gently and slowly spray it and use some old rug near the spray so u wont get the spray all over the place

I hope this helps
Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D SE

I also discovered it was the fuzzy felt lining on the tops of my doors causing the 'wooden boat' sound creaking, I thought it was my windows at first.

After extensive tests I've found I can leave the door rubbers un-treated and just lube this felt lining.

It lasts about 3 months if you soak it well using a rubber safe, silicon based lubricant. My car is now devoid of any rattles, squeeks and creaks.

As the creaking only seems to occur on the two front doors, I was wondering whether they had been adjusted correctly for fit at the factory. There is a 3 inch spot at the rear edge of this felt where it is showing signs of wear, whereas the rest of the felt strip looks fine. (see pic)

I was wondering whether to book it in at my local dealer for the doors re-adjusting?

Chemical to eliminate creaky windows-door_strip.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by Matrim604' date='Jun 19 2005, 07:03 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 18 2005, 10:31 PM']I think its called carbaflow....but I don't think that it is recommended any longer.? You can search and find a lot of threads about it.? Take your car in as there are new door seals available that don't creak.
[snapback]140832[/snapback]
Thanks! I searched the topic and I found what I need. I wonder if I can have all my window seals replaced under warranty still even though i'm at 22,000 kms now :'(
[snapback]140925[/snapback]
[/quote]

Matrim,

the creaking windows issue is a very old one and deeply discussed in the forum. my previous 530d suffered heavily from it and the problem was only solved when BMW replaced all seals with a new type, available from March 2005.

My new 535d is starting to suffer the same problem but in a less severe way; until your SA will decide to replace all your seals (the black felt-like seals on top of the door) with the new, improved type, an application of ANY commercial available glycerine-based cream (for example any type of cream used to soften and clean interior leather) will do the job. Just apply it every time you hear the creaking coming up again. BUT THIS IS NOT A LONG TERM SOLUTION.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:13 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 550i Sport

I've just applied some WD40 to my felt strips on the door tops and it's excellent, not a sound thanks to everyone especially Peter530i and Madwax. Also my car has the same flat area on the felt as yours so I would guess that this is normal.
Thanks again
Graham