E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chemical to eliminate creaky windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire black 545i with sports package, premium package, 6 speed manual, 20" Maya rims.

When I first got my car, all four door windows would make creaking and clicking noises like the hull of an old wooden boat, mainly when I accelerated. I brought the car in, and the service guys said it was a known problem, caused because the window seals were too clean and had not been broken in yet. They applied some kind of chemical to the windows seals, and it eliminated 100% of the noise, but I find that the chemical must wear off or something, because i've had to bring it back a couple of times now to have it reapplied.

Does anybody know what chemical it is that they use, or something similar that might work so I can do it myself if it wears off again?

Matthew Fung
Vancouver, BC
Canada
http://homepage.mac.com/matthewfung

2004 BMW 545i, sports package, premium package, 6 speed manual, Maya 20" wheels.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

I think its called carbaflow....but I don't think that it is recommended any longer. You can search and find a lot of threads about it. Take your car in as there are new door seals available that don't creak.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire black 545i with sports package, premium package, 6 speed manual, 20" Maya rims.

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 18 2005, 10:31 PM
I think its called carbaflow....but I don't think that it is recommended any longer.? You can search and find a lot of threads about it.? Take your car in as there are new door seals available that don't creak.
[snapback]140832[/snapback]
Thanks! I searched the topic and I found what I need. I wonder if I can have all my window seals replaced under warranty still even though i'm at 22,000 kms now :'(
Old 07-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

I had the same noise problem with my car. The dealer worked on it by lubricating the seals and noise went away but after a month or so the noise is back again. I made another complaint and now they are going to replace the seals. I was told by my service manager that this is the main complaints for E60's and now they are replacing them. I am now waiting for the seal to get here and for the dealer to install and I hope this will solve the annoying noise...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Since carbaflow is almost impossible to get in Europe anymore,
I use WD40 silicon spray, made in UK, works great and lasts for months.....

I know I know.... I will get the seals replaced, but I'm waiting for oil service to get it done all at once
Old 07-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 550i Sport

I'd like to try the WD40 option, could you give me some idea of how and where to apply it.
Thank you
Old 07-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Members

I think this is one major issue with any German car. My BMWs have this issue after they get past 6 months of ownership, but so does the Audi and the Benz.
I now have a can of silicone spray, which you should be able to buy at your local car parts shop, and use a clean cloth to clean the seals once a month.

I spray it on a paper towel, and apply it to the seals of where the door meets the frame in the car. Seems to work everytime. However, the noise does return later, and that is why I choose to apply this once a month. I think that if the door gets a bit out of alignment, it makes this horrible sound even worse.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

I thought the buliten was to replace the door seal. i there something going on with the window seals as well?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Have you guys tried talc? I would think that WD-40 or other lubricants would accumulate crud over time since they are sticky.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

silicon spray works? I need to give that a try in the MINI... windows are creeking rubbing against the seals...

I've used 303 aerospace and it lasts for a few days only... E60 is still creek free... *knock on wood*

Quick Reply: Chemical to eliminate creaky windows