E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check Icons

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61
Thumbs up

When I start my E61 I get a nice little icon of a car in the check control display. What exactly does this mean ... is it just telling me that the car is OK? I couldn't find a list of check icons anywhere in the manual (though given some are pretty obvious!)

While on this topic ... is there no check warning for a door or tailgate not quite closed correctly (ok the tailgate is a little difficult to leave ajar with the electronic pull-down).

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by sumu' post='193468' date='Nov 4 2005, 06:18 PM
When I start my E61 I get a nice little icon of a car in the check control display. What exactly does this mean ... is it just telling me that the car is OK? I couldn't find a list of check icons anywhere in the manual (though given some are pretty obvious!)

While on this topic ... is there no check warning for a door or tailgate not quite closed correctly (ok the tailgate is a little difficult to leave ajar with the electronic pull-down).

Thanks.
The car icon in the mibble of the dash will tell you if a door or trunk is not closed correctly.
It will also tell you if a light bulb is broken.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Does it?? Hmmm...

So I just went out to the car. I opened one of the rear doors and then started the car. The same car icon appeared as it always does and went out. I put the car into R and moved it - no warning the rear door was open . Interior light still on.

So I'm curious as to what you see if you do the same?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributors

The car is the distance indicator for the Advanced Cruise Control.
It's yellow when ity 'sees' a car in front of you and red when you need to apply the brakes yourself.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' post='193481' date='Nov 4 2005, 04:57 PM
The car is the distance indicator for the Advanced Cruise Control.
It's yellow when ity 'sees' a car in front of you and red when you need to apply the brakes yourself.
The car icon appears in the LCD display where the time/temp usually are. I believe the ACC car indication is at the bottom of the set of warning lights above that.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Picture?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cidair' post='193526' date='Nov 4 2005, 06:50 PM
Picture?
Sorry, I guess that would have helped a lot!

Here's the icon is question ... sorry about the pic it's dark here so had to balance the camera on the top of the steering column. It appears when turning the key to position 2 ... and disappears shortly after.

What does it mean I wonder?

Check Icons-dsc_2142.jpg
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

while this icon is shown it means that complete pre-start check-up is at run. (fluids, brakes, oil, etc, etc etc......)
I've had very similar on my Audi
Old 11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='193563' date='Nov 4 2005, 08:36 PM
while this icon is shown it means that complete pre-start check-up is at run. (fluids, brakes, oil, etc, etc etc......)
I've had very similar on my Audi
I get it - Its a bit like the 'OK' on the Audi driver info display (I have also owned an Audi!). So is this the same icon that should show lights failed and doors open as Ricracing suggested? Or is there a different icon for that? I can't seem to get any warning for a door not quite closed. On my E46 I used to have a pictogram of a car for lights and doors.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by sumu' post='193479' date='Nov 4 2005, 04:50 PM
Does it?? Hmmm...

So I just went out to the car. I opened one of the rear doors and then started the car. The same car icon appeared as it always does and went out. I put the car into R and moved it - no warning the rear door was open . Interior light still on.

So I'm curious as to what you see if you do the same?
When I did the same "test" I'm sure the pictogram only showed up when I was going forwards. I guess it doesn't worry too much if you are in reverse as it's not expecting you to travel very far backwards?

Quick Reply: Check Icons