E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Change in RFTs for Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='299281' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:12 AM
Some of us lease, so non-RFT are not an option.
just use regular tires for now and put the RFTs back on when you return the car
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

I switched from the Dunflop RFT's due to excessive wearing and noise. Replaced with Goodyear Eagle RFT and very pleased to date. I have about 2000 miles on the new ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

I wonder why RFTs get more positive feedback from owners living and driving in the US.

The quality of the roads could be an influencing factor and so is perhaps the outside temperature (the Bridgestone RFTs are significantly more compliant when the outside temperature is warmer than 20 degree Celcius).

Besides this I wonder whether the suspension set-up on the cars delivered to the US might be different (softer) and better suited to compensate for the lack of comfort the RFTs are responsible for.

Any ideas on that last point ?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='299373' date='Jun 18 2006, 04:31 PM
I wonder why RFTs get more positive feedback from owners living and driving in the US.

The quality of the roads could be an influencing factor and so is perhaps the outside temperature (the Bridgestone RFTs are significantly more compliant when the outside temperature is warmer than 20 degree Celcius).

Besides this I wonder whether the suspension set-up on the cars delivered to the US might be different (softer) and better suited to compensate for the lack of comfort the RFTs are responsible for.

Any ideas on that last point ?
If the suspension settings were any stiffer, you would loose tooth fillings on a regular basis.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='299240' date='Jun 18 2006, 05:27 AM
Bridgestones Potenza Runflats are the best RFS and so far no prob was reported I think. The reason why you feel all is fine because there are probably a nice roads around where you live. For Europe RFS are impossible due to the bumpy, potty roads......
also put it like this: The RFS may feel fine, untill you experience non-rfs !!!!!!!!!!!
i agree 100%. changed from bridgestone potenza rft to pirelli pzero nero and it was a world of difference. however, the rft did feel ok before i knew what nonrft would feel like. i think a lot of people don't like rft b/c they are so heavy.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='299373' date='Jun 18 2006, 04:31 PM

Well, I live in a suburb of Detroit in SE Michigan and the roads here are about as bad as you will find them anywhere (auto capital of the world my foot ). I don't find these runflats to be too bad at all, but then my old 330 also had RFT and I also drive an Infiniti FX45 which has an incredibly firm ride (you want to talk about tramlining )

Anyway, maybe I'm just used to it. I do understand how folks feel about the RFTs once they switch over though. Replacing the OEM with PS2s would naturally make the car ride and handle better. When I get my snows they will likely be non-RFT.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I live in Jersey in the NY Metro area and could not imagine worse pavement than the garbage they have here.

Hey I thought Michael Moore and a few other hollywood celebs wanted the US to be more like Europe?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='299473' date='Jun 18 2006, 11:26 PM
I live in Jersey in the NY Metro area and could not imagine worse pavement than the garbage they have here.

Hey I thought Michael Moore and a few other hollywood celebs wanted the US to be more like Europe?

Tell you a funny story. I moved to Michigan from Westchester County in NY and lived in Northern NJ and NYC before that. Before moving to MI I had only been here on one quick business trip. Just prior to moving here I went out and bought myself a present - an Audi TT coupe. I figured I was moving to the Auto Capital of the World, so the roads would be perfect. Great for fun drives in my TT. At the time I didn't know about the concrete roads, double trailer gravel trucks, overweight double trailers from Canada, thick layer of concrete eating road salt etc. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

To make a long story short, I drove that car for a year and finally couldn't take it anymore. It was just no fun. Traded for an Audi allroad.

Trust me, the roads in NY/NJ are better than SE MI!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you could only buy RFTs which would you get. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Goodyear or any other non OEM RFT.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299168' date='Jun 18 2006, 01:53 AM
At least the Dunlop RFT's have a reputation for wearing unevenly and getting noisey quickly. Otherwise, I can't say why everyone, if true, is so against RFT's given that OK handling and a comfortable ride is all that is required. I use my original wheels and Dunlop RFT's on trips and always am happy with them.
I hope Ray Hull reads your post,seems like he has a personal vendetta againest RFT's.I feel as you do and they will be on all new cars in the future.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Change in RFTs for Sport?