E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Change in RFTs for Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster
Thumbs up

Ok, so I have read how horrible all of the RFT tires are and how every cannot wait to get rid of them quicker than poop through a goose.

I picked up my 530i this week with the sport package. It was shod with Bridgeston Potenzas. After a few days of highway driving and city I really cannot see what the issue is? I have a Boxster that has nice wheels and these seem to do just as well.

I have gotten past the 50 mile break in for the tires too.

Am I smoking to much crack?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I have the same tires. Admittedly, I picked up my new car only yesterday but I think they're fine too. Maybe it takes a while for them to suck or maybe I don't know how good the ride can be with other tires so I have no way to compare.

But so far so good.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='299160' date='Jun 18 2006, 12:23 AM
Ok, so I have read how horrible all of the RFT tires are and how every cannot wait to get rid of them quicker than poop through a goose.

I picked up my 530i this week with the sport package. It was shod with Bridgeston Potenzas. After a few days of highway driving and city I really cannot see what the issue is? I have a Boxster that has nice wheels and these seem to do just as well.

At least the Dunlop RFT's have a reputation for wearing unevenly and getting noisey quickly. Otherwise, I can't say why everyone, if true, is so against RFT's given that OK handling and a comfortable ride is all that is required. I use my original wheels and Dunlop RFT's on trips and always am happy with them.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Members

i'm about to change mine to non-RFT since there's no RFT for 20" , i'll let chu know how it feels, lol
Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Bridgestones Potenza Runflats are the best RFS and so far no prob was reported I think. The reason why you feel all is fine because there are probably a nice roads around where you live. For Europe RFS are impossible due to the bumpy, potty roads......

also put it like this: The RFS may feel fine, untill you experience non-rfs !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributors

4000 miles on my rf and they are tolerable. Maybe becuase my commute is 90% smooth roads?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The problem with the Dunlops is that start to make a roar as they get older. The roar is worse on some cars/roads. I had mine replaced under warranty because of the roar, but they were wearing evenly and had tremendous grip in the corners. They totally sucked even in a little snow and were very slick in the cold until you drove a while and heated them up. BMW should give you the option of Ultra High Performance All Season Tires, as I would trade off some warm weather grip for year round use.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I can tell that the Bridgetone runflats are a bit bumpy but I figured that's what a "Sports Package" would feel like. Right now they don't grab quite as well as on my old Lexus RX 300 tires either, but that might be because they need breaking-in. I guess given the option I would have picked non-runflats but I can't see switching out expensive tires at this juncture.

Does anyone know if the suspension is tuned such that switching out runflats for non-runflats is inadvisable?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='299160' date='Jun 18 2006, 01:23 AM

Not smoking crack- I thought they were just fine too until I switched to accomodate my new 166's that required new non-RF. Driving the ultimate machine should also mean you are driving on the ultimate tires. So the argument on the board is not that they suck per se but they suck compared to NRF options based on our personal experience. For all of you who think that those on the board are unduly harsh to RF, try a little experiment when you need to change threads - go for PS2, conti's, or Goodyear Eagle and you might realize what you've been missing (and why so many have converted anti-RF). I'd like to hear those reports and if many still don't see the difference, I'd like to hear that too.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Some of us lease, so non-RFT are not an option.

Quick Reply: Change in RFTs for Sport?