E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Carbon Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

I may have an issue with my paint... i've noticed all around the car there seems to be a residue which i can only liken to ..... spilt petrol.... kind of purple in colour, it is worse on the edges of the rear spoiler and on the shark fin.... took the pics with my phone 5 mins ago so please excuse quality.... the marks near the spoiler were there when i got home from collection last friday and were put down to lack of final prep... all i did on sunday was wash the car with a mild car shampoo and hose off, i noticed the smaller marks at this point, surely not simply characteristics of the Carbon Black ????

Carbon Black-18_04_07_0724.jpg

Carbon Black-18_04_07_0725.jpg

Carbon Black-18_04_07_0726.jpg

Carbon Black-18_04_07_0727.jpg

Any thoughts?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Members

I had exactly the same on mine when new. The dealer tried o say it was "fall out" because I had trees on my road where I live !!!!!

I said get a life and sort it out. Some mild polish / t cut type stuff got rid of it and then i had the car detailed and its now perfect. All done by the garage for free.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Black-dscf2226__2_.jpg  
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Contributors

Thanks for that, I'll most likely end up doing this myself or having them do it at first service, i simply dont have the spare time to have the car sat in a dealers valet bay.

Just nice to know it's not permenant.

R
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Isn't your car only 4 days old???? I'd have serious words with your dealer if I were you!

Marc
Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='415093' date='Apr 18 2007, 09:22 AM
Isn't your car only 4 days old???? I'd have serious words with your dealer if I were you!

Marc
It is 4-5 days old, and yes their will be serious words along the lines of .... your Valet guys best be working this saturday morning as it's the only time I can bring the car in.

The owe me a full tank of fuel too and they shall be shafted over for the ipod cable oem

I'm sure the list will grow.

R
Old 04-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

If that fails then tell them you're getting it valeted and you'll be sending them the bill!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='415070' date='Apr 18 2007, 07:43 AM
I may have an issue with my paint... i've noticed all around the car there seems to be a residue which i can only liken to ..... spilt petrol.... kind of purple in colour, it is worse on the edges of the rear spoiler and on the shark fin.... took the pics with my phone 5 mins ago so please excuse quality.... the marks near the spoiler were there when i got home from collection last friday and were put down to lack of final prep... all i did on sunday was wash the car with a mild car shampoo and hose off, i noticed the smaller marks at this point, surely not simply characteristics of the Carbon Black ????

Any thoughts?
This is not good. My previous experience with paint issues leads me to believe one of two things.

1. Either, this is simply something thats 'got onto the paintwork' during transportation and hasn't been removed effectively by the Valet at your dealers.
2. Or there is a more serious fundamental paint defect.

If it's the first, depending on what's on the paint, this may simply 'T Cut' off, but equally may be more serious. The second of these.....who knows. The bottom line is that I think you need to get this back to your dealers for their attention immediately before they have time on their side and try and fob you off!

On another note, from your previous pictures I can't tell if you car has the HGSL fitted around the windows. I know it should have, but have read a number of posts where this has no been fitted on early LCi's. What week was your car built?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='415125' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:28 AM
This is not good. My previous experience with paint issues leads me to believe one of two things.

1. Either, this is simply something thats 'got onto the paintwork' during transportation and hasn't been removed effectively by the Valet at your dealers.
2. Or there is a more serious fundamental paint defect.

If it's the first, depending on what's on the paint, this may simply 'T Cut' off, but equally may be more serious. The second of these.....who knows. The bottom line is that I think you need to get this back to your dealers for their attention immediately before they have time on their side and try and fob you off!

On another note, from your previous pictures I can't tell if you car has the HGSL fitted around the windows. I know it should have, but have read a number of posts where this has no been fitted on early LCi's. What week was your car built?
Not sure of the week but it definatly does not have the HGSL trim, i like it just as is though so not making a big deal of it.

The paint is another issue.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='415172' date='Apr 18 2007, 08:35 AM
Not sure of the week but it definatly does not have the HGSL trim, i like it just as is though so not making a big deal of it.

The paint is another issue.
I had Carbon Black as an Individual Line option on my last car (330Ci MSport Convertible) and in my personal experience I found it to mark very easily (fine scratches, stone chips, etc.). Bird droppings if left for any period longer than 8 hours or longer, i.e. when parked at work, would take off a complete layer of the lacquer. I loved the colour but I would be wary of having it again because modern environmentally friendly paint processes seem to leave the paint too soft to cope with modern life (and dark colours show marks more than lighter shades!).
Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
MAK
Members

Whatever you do do not attempt to use T cut or anything similar before letting your dealer see it(a get out option for them) if it does not work or makes it worse. I think though it should be easily fixed. I think the car looks really smart and goes with the area you stay in. I spotted your dealer logo on the plate and know them from a past dealing. I am in West Lothian Cheers! and enjoy your great car.

Quick Reply: Carbon Black