E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

car vibrate on hard acceleration and transmission malfunction displayed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by KyleB
Don't drive in manual mode for a while?
i never understood why someone would want to manually shift an automatic trans. they work completely different from a manual trans, and holding the auto to certain gears is just not good in my opinion. let the trans shift on its own.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530dA

Do you hear strong rev at given rpm like noticeable sound difference ?
Do you have flapping rpm's at ~ 80-100km/h ?

The transmission fault to me is caused from the Torque converter. As the final sign of failure to this part is the vibration during acceleration

Good luck in finding and resolving the issue!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 2006

Originally Posted by Trixster
Do you hear strong rev at given rpm like noticeable sound difference ?
Do you have flapping rpm's at ~ 80-100km/h ?

The transmission fault to me is caused from the Torque converter. As the final sign of failure to this part is the vibration during acceleration

Good luck in finding and resolving the issue!
Dear trixster,

I don't have any strong sound, the car is very normal, neither any flapping at 80-100 Km/h

The only thing is the vibration when accelerating on M2 transmission speed (I didn't try M1)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 2006

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
After the second fluid change you can try starting again in M2 and also try M1. The steptronic will automatically return to M2 when you come to a stop. However, you can then shift to M1 and try acceleration. If you see no slipping in M1 but it still slips in M2 that could be further proof that your clutch pack in M2 is worn and slipping, or the software is exaggerating the slippage.

The steptronic function relies heavily on the software and after the second fluid change and testing you may want to consider having the software reprogrammed (basically zeroing out the memory of the solenoids and control unit) so the transmission can begin to relearn both the new flow of fluid, clutch plate slippage and your driving style.

In automatic transmissions there is always a trade off between smooth shifts (which by design include clutch slippage) and clutch pack wear due to that slippage. The software learns this slippage and your slippage may well clear up after reprogramming.

This last post seems to indicate that you see no slippage of the transmission when operated in automatic mode. If you find that the new fluid and software upgrade does not solve the slippage you will have the decide to spend serious money on having the transmission torn down or just live without the use of the steptronic function, or start in M1 if that doesn't slip.
hi bimmerfan52

The problem is on M2 only
I am taking it to an expert to see what he will tell me
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skhalifeh
hi bimmerfan52

The problem is on M2 only
I am taking it to an expert to see what he will tell me
That is good news that the problem is isolated.
If you want to shift manually, you can take off in M1 and probably by the time you shift to M2 the stress will be low enough that it won't slip.

It is a good idea to get an opinion from a ZF transmission expert. He can read TCU error codes and troubleshoot.

A permanent fix might actually be as simple as replacement of a solenoid in the mechatronic unit or even easier, adaptive reprogramming.

Good luck with it.