E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car vibrate on hard acceleration and transmission malfunction displayed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2006
Default car vibrate on hard acceleration and transmission malfunction displayed

When I try to hard accelerate the car, the car vibrates and the transmission malfunction is displayed on the idrive. i pull over turn off the car and back on, everything return normal except if I try to hard accelerated from stationary position.

It's a 530i 2006. Has anyone faced this problem?

Thank you
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Sounds like a mechatronics sleeve leakage and/or possible pan/seal leak. Have the trans fluid level checked by a trans mechanic knowlegeable of modern ZF transmissions. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission shudder usually breaks into two types: Torque converter shudder and transmission shudder. Both can be caused by or worsened by a low fluid level and advancedlogic is correct the level should be checked as soon as possible.

Torque converter shudder is usually due to repeated overheating of the fluid and the symptoms are the result of de-polymerized or worn out fluid. Because one of the key jobs of trans fluid is to remove heat from the transmission, being low on fluid exasperates the problem. This problem is easy to fix and involves draining and refilling the transmission twice with new fluid.

Transmission shudder can be the result of blocked trans fluid coolant lines or transmission bands or clutches and may require actual repair of the coolant lines or transmission internals.

You can get a pretty good idea of which problem you have by running the car until the transmission shudders. Then quickly pull over and park the vehicle in a safe place. Depress and hold down the brake, put the transmission in drive and while still holding the brake lightly push the throttle. If you feel the shudder then chances are it is torque converter shudder, and you can change your fluid and hopefully that will solve the problem. If it doesn't shudder, then it could be a problem in the transmission internals.

In either case you probably have over 80K miles on the fluid and changing it out would be a good idea if you are going to keep the car.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
New Members

Thank you, I will make what you proposed and give you my feedback
Regards
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

it seems the trans is slipping and the trans goes into fail safe mode to prevent damage.

it could be due to low trans fluid due to a leak. otherwise its internal wear or issue in the trans.
remember, all auto transmissions operate hydraulicaly using the fluid, and low fluid will cause issues..
Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 AM
New Members

Hi guys i change the pan filter, mechatronic sleeve and the oil. Still facing the same problem, any advice?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skhalifeh
Hi guys i change the pan filter, mechatronic sleeve and the oil. Still facing the same problem, any advice?
Have you done the second drain and fill? 50% fresh fluid may not be enough if the problem is the fluid. The torque converter will hold almost half the fluid when you drop the pan and then refill. Doing another drain and fill (obviously no need to remove the pan this time just the drain plug) will bring the fluid up to about 85% fresh fluid. After that see how it reacts while driving, and test it at stop with the brake held down again.

If it still shudders then it is likely the disc packs or bands internal to the transmission, and you will have to consult a transmission expert.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:03 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Have you done the second drain and fill? 50% fresh fluid may not be enough if the problem is the fluid. The torque converter will hold almost half the fluid when you drop the pan and then refill. Doing another drain and fill (obviously no need to remove the pan this time just the drain plug) will bring the fluid up to about 85% fresh fluid. After that see how it reacts while driving, and test it at stop with the brake held down again.

If it still shudders then it is likely the disc packs or bands internal to the transmission, and you will have to consult a transmission expert.
I will try it. The problem appears only while driving manual mode, does it mean anything?
When i stop it is on M2 and when i accelerate the problem show up.
Thank you
Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

I will try it. The problem appears only while driving manual mode, does it mean anything?
When i stop it is on M2 and when i accelerate the problem show up.
Thank you
After the second fluid change you can try starting again in M2 and also try M1. The steptronic will automatically return to M2 when you come to a stop. However, you can then shift to M1 and try acceleration. If you see no slipping in M1 but it still slips in M2 that could be further proof that your clutch pack in M2 is worn and slipping, or the software is exaggerating the slippage.

The steptronic function relies heavily on the software and after the second fluid change and testing you may want to consider having the software reprogrammed (basically zeroing out the memory of the solenoids and control unit) so the transmission can begin to relearn both the new flow of fluid, clutch plate slippage and your driving style.

In automatic transmissions there is always a trade off between smooth shifts (which by design include clutch slippage) and clutch pack wear due to that slippage. The software learns this slippage and your slippage may well clear up after reprogramming.

This last post seems to indicate that you see no slippage of the transmission when operated in automatic mode. If you find that the new fluid and software upgrade does not solve the slippage you will have the decide to spend serious money on having the transmission torn down or just live without the use of the steptronic function, or start in M1 if that doesn't slip.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Don't drive in manual mode for a while?

Quick Reply: car vibrate on hard acceleration and transmission malfunction displayed