E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car totally dead tonight ('07 530xi)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight I noticed that my AE's were flickering tonight while the car was parked in the driveway. Tried to use comfort access w/o success and had to use the pass key to open the door. Found the car totally dead - no lights, etc. VOM reading at the underhood power block registered .4V DC

Had driven it 3x today - about 10 miles each time. There were no abnormalities or alerts ... car has been serviced regularly and normally during the past 3+ years / 40K miles with only minor warranty work performed (leaking valve sleeve in trans, steering angle sensor replaced, original battery replaced at 9 months old - car was not driven for about 60 days and the battery had died). Since then average miles driven / day approx 45 - take a 100+ mile trip once a week ... So no indication of unacceptable driving pattern.

When I entered the car I did notice that the adaptive light control was flickering - but it was the only light that was coming on

Battery eye is black - last week I checked [do that about every other month] and it was green ...

BMW assist will come and pick up the car in the morning ... and get it to my dealer ... darn good thing the warranty is live until July 2010 !

Will know more in the AM
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

That sucks, I know how you feel :thumbsdown: . Pretty much the same thing happened to me and it was BMW saying "Oh, you don't drive enough for the battery to recharge fully." They gave me a larder (charger that plugs into the wall)and I just plug it in whenever. I got my windows tinted yesterday from 10am-3pm and they had the car just on battery and it died.. I feel like the e60 has an energy deficit (loses more energy than it gains). I hope it is something minor!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Jumped and got the car started. VOM on battery block registered 13.75V with engine at idle. Dashboard settings are zero'ed out (time, etc) and radio presets are all gone - no doubt battery was flat dead. Idrive message came up with AWD DSC error and window antitrap error message flashed but disappeared.

As for driving profile issue - my dealer service manager has always treated me quite fairly - especially with my 20+ year history with this BMW Store. I don't expect any issues once they thoroughly diagnose and remedy the presenting problem. Batteries do die - but coverage during warranty period should not present any issue since I personally sent the store about 15 new car buyers in just the last 3 years.

Time will tell!
Attached Thumbnails Car totally dead tonight ('07 530xi)-2010-06-04-19.41.07.jpg  
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that there's a new battery and alternator in your future.

I had a dream about my car failing last night and woke up in cold sweat - so I can imagine how bummed it must feel. Besides, I've had some major components fail before, so I know from experience. I think I have a new thermostat in my future, as well as the lifters job (if I can ever get to giving the car up to a dealership LOL - I'm not the most trusting person when it comes to that) - maybe that will make you feel better. Either way, hope you get her fixed and running by the June 12th meet - you're coming right?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

That screen is exactly what I got :thumbsdown:. I hope your car was like mine and only required a charger.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

To alleviate the AWD malfunction turn the wheel all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right, and the malfunction goes away. In my experience this always works. Sorry about the problems.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Aside from clock time needing to be reset - all alerts disappeared! Radio presets and BT settings were retained. My mpg for the time and miles driven on this tank of gas returned to starting the calculation over. I didn't need to reset the AWD alert - that condition code cleared itself too !?! Glad I took a phone picture ..

Initial diagnosis was the only fault reading that was recorded was the ignition was "left on".

They also determined the battery readings were acceptable and that it was fully charged - I was very surprised since the only thing I did after jump starting it last night was drive the car 19 miles to the dealership. I didn't even connect to the trickle charger I use for my roadster because if the battery had been discharged I wanted the dealership to see that. No way a dead battery could fully charge - especially since I drove there with lights and Air Conditioning ON!

As for the ignition on fault reading - after I questioned how that could possibly happen with comfort access ... that I never insert the key fob to start or drive the car and that I NEVER leave the key fob in the car and that I always turn the car off and lock it ... they decided they wanted to keep the car for a day to look for other issues. I mentioned I had read about similar situations and the head tech said they will investigate other modules not going to sleep or turning off and suggested making another appointment next week so they could arrange a loaner car and keep mine for a day.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Aside from clock time needing to be reset - all alerts disappeared! Radio presets and BT settings were retained. My mpg for the time and miles driven on this tank of gas returned to starting the calculation over. I didn't need to reset the AWD alert - that condition code cleared itself too !?! Glad I took a phone picture ..

Initial diagnosis was the only fault reading that was recorded was the ignition was "left on".

They also determined the battery readings were acceptable and that it was fully charged - I was very surprised since the only thing I did after jump starting it last night was drive the car 19 miles to the dealership. I didn't even connect to the trickle charger I use for my roadster because if the battery had been discharged I wanted the dealership to see that. No way a dead battery could fully charge - especially since I drove there with lights and Air Conditioning ON!

As for the ignition on fault reading - after I questioned how that could possibly happen with comfort access ... that I never insert the key fob to start or drive the car and that I NEVER leave the key fob in the car and that I always turn the car off and lock it ... they decided they wanted to keep the car for a day to look for other issues. I mentioned I had read about similar situations and the head tech said they will investigate other modules not going to sleep or turning off and suggested making another appointment next week so they could arrange a loaner car and keep mine for a day.
Glad to hear that your car is back to normal.

Are you coming to the Bear Mountain meet next Sat?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Glad to hear that your car is back to normal.

Are you coming to the Bear Mountain meet next Sat?
No - but I'm planning to be at the Vintage BMW event in Mt Laurel.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by luigi524td
No - but I'm planning to be at the Vintage BMW event in Mt Laurel.
OK. See you there.